Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame?

+14
Avalanche
GBDavisJr
TicTocer
Sc0
SilentAssassin
BE Mike
Webjak
bbh791
Olde Pilot
jglenn21
popchevy
rich.tullo
aub1957
cfirimar
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? Empty Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame?

Post by cfirimar Tue Mar 30 2021, 17:34

Hi folks,
I see on Walther website that they have 'new' Hammerli Xesse SF models, 
I don't have the older Xesse models, but has some experience on 215 models. I am thinking about getting an Xesse or an SF model.

Wonder if anyone has experience on them, my questions are: 
1) I checked a couple forums, seems the original Xesse model is also made with steel frames, is this perception correct?
2) what are the improvements of the new SF models over the older ones?
3) seems many Xesse models has 3 dot sights, which are less desirable for bullseye disciplines, how do folks like their iron sights?

Thanks in advance!

cfirimar

Back to top Go down

Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? Empty Re: Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame?

Post by aub1957 Tue Mar 30 2021, 21:56

I've got an Xesse IPSC. As far as question 3, the sights on it are just not great at all. They are LPA and I would rate them easily the worst sights of all my target 22s.

If you are looking for nice set of iron sights, I would get a good used Hammerli 208/208S/215. The sights on the 215 are far better than the Xesse. Trigger is better too.

The Xesse has an excellent barrel, however.

aub1957

cfirimar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? Empty Re: Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame?

Post by rich.tullo Tue Mar 30 2021, 23:43

Looks good they changed the grips too, no dove tail for scope mount Sad
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by popchevy Thu Apr 08 2021, 20:47

I looked everywhere made a bunch of calls and could not find the new SF model, so I found a place that had a couple of the older (last years ?) model of the IPSC and ordered it today so soon I will be able to answer your question no. 1. I will be mounting a red dot on it and shooting Bullseye. No one I talked to could tell me when the new one will be out. I'm thinking (hoping) it's going to be better than my Mark IV.

popchevy

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Sat Apr 10 2021, 20:38

It is a better gun than a MK IV but there are things you can do to make the MK excellent and I like the 22/45 better than the Target.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Foundryratjim likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by popchevy Sun Apr 11 2021, 09:50

I have only been shooting a short time and am at the bottom of a very steep learning curve. I bought the Ruger Mk IV SS competition model and realized that it's heavy ! My shoulder has been damaged in the past and causing problems when I shoot. 
I really enjoy the sport , therefore felt the need for a lighter pistol which the 
Hammerli is. I expect to have it in my hands this week. I shot a 22/45 couple weeks ago and was not real impressed by it, maybe cause it was the Lite version.. too light. Sad part is indoor season closes in 2 weeks, but that gives me all summer to get the hammer dialed in.

popchevy

Back to top Go down

Post by popchevy Fri Apr 16 2021, 18:30

Got my new XEsse IPSC yesterday. It's pretty sweet. Made in late 2018 so it is the older version ,but yes it is all steel except for the trigger, front cover and grip. It is cast steel where the SF will be billet machined. Put a scope on it and it is still 1 full pound lighter than my Ruger competition model. I LOVE the trigger ! Wow. Way better than the Ruger even with the trigger job. Place I bought it from still has a couple left if interested.

popchevy

cfirimar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Fri Apr 16 2021, 19:10

Put a Larrys trigger on it and do the slight sear mod and the trigger will be better

Last edited by jglenn21 on Sat Apr 17 2021, 18:02; edited 1 time in total
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot Fri Apr 16 2021, 20:08

Jglenn21 is the expert here. But, you need someone like him to install the Larry's trigger. I'm handy with the amateur gunsmithing thing but I'm afraid to mess with something already so nice out of the box. I like the 100gram weight added. Oberle Enterprises has 100gr & 165gr (not cheap)!

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by popchevy Sat Apr 17 2021, 09:14

I'm looking at the plastic end piece where the weight would go , and it's hollow. Thinking about forming some lead bars to install inside it. Shot the gun last night and it is extremely accurate. I know my scores will go up. I need to weigh the trigger, sure seems light to me.

popchevy

Back to top Go down

Post by bbh791 Sat Apr 17 2021, 14:55

I wish they would improve the slide so the slide notch wouldn’t wear out.  That would be more important than a steel frame.

bbh791

Back to top Go down

Post by Webjak Fri Jul 23 2021, 18:24

I was also interested in the SF but wanted the 4.5" for bullseye and dovetail for a red dot. Also found the SF not available and no dovetail.. So, I bought the 4.5" Target Xesse.

Webjak

Back to top Go down

Post by popchevy Fri Jul 23 2021, 18:39

Took my IPSC apart to clean after over 1000 rds. I see no signs of wear on the slide notch, got the bore sparkling clean , greased it up and put it back together. Shot a personal best that evening. Wonderful gun !

popchevy

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sat Jul 24 2021, 10:20

popchevy wrote:Took my IPSC apart to clean after over 1000 rds. I see no signs of wear on the slide notch, got the bore sparkling clean , greased it up and put it back together. Shot a personal best that evening. Wonderful gun !
I personally would never use a .22 cal. bore snake on the barrel of a target .22 pistol. I think you are doing more damage than good. As per Larry Carter, a good .22 pistol barrel doesn't need cleaning, only the chamber.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Webjak Sat Jul 24 2021, 12:15

No metal down the barrel of my .22’s, I usually use a bamboo BBQ stick and run a patch through on occasion.

Webjak

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentAssassin Sun Jul 25 2021, 13:25

BE Mike wrote:
popchevy wrote:Took my IPSC apart to clean after over 1000 rds. I see no signs of wear on the slide notch, got the bore sparkling clean , greased it up and put it back together. Shot a personal best that evening. Wonderful gun !
I personally would never use a .22 cal. bore snake on the barrel of a target .22 pistol. I think you are doing more damage than good. As per Larry Carter, a good .22 pistol barrel doesn't need cleaning, only the chamber.

There are varying opinions on this.
Mine is such that a good 22 target barrel Does need cleaning. By not cleaning, you're asking for trouble down the line.
Here is why;

22 ammunition is probably the most dirty round you can chamber, then put a projectile down the barrel ( any barrel).
Technically lead is a lubricant. In theory, each shot you fire should lubricate the bore.
This is not the case.

If the Lead projectile was the only thing traveling the bore upon a fired shot, then yes, it would not only be cleaner, but it would also coat the bore, which to some extent , it does.
The blast behind the projectile and to some degree in front of the projectile creates soot, carbon, powder residue,,,, and what all else not......which all gets mixed into a super heated blast, in the bore. And the chamber.

The lead is laid down into the lands and grooves of the ( target barrel ) you guessed it, along with other previously mentioned, gunk.
Then the uncleaned gun is then put down, or into a safe  for storage. Over time , moisture can accumulate within the bore mixing in with the afore mentioned gunk.
Next thing you know, you put a bore scope in the bore and start looking around.............and low and behold, there is pitting in the bore of your nice target barrel.
I have seen this before,,,,,,,,,,A lot.........from folks who thought you never have to clean the barrels bore on a 22.

In other breaking news; people will fire copper plated rounds , buy the hundreds, if not thousands, never thinking twice about it.
On a hardness scale, copper is a 2.5 - 3, whereas brass is 3-4. Not much difference.
Yet people are afraid to put a bristled brass brush down a bore for cleaning.
Something about this makes 0 sense to me. To each his own.......of mice and men.

SilentAssassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sc0 Thu Jul 29 2021, 19:46

Just picked up a Xesse IPSC SF model today, dated 2021.
It has a plastic spacer under the muzzle of the barrel, plastic trigger, machined steel frame, funky safety lever extension, redesigned the rear sight but it's still a LPA. Barrel does have a 11mm dovetail rail with a few threaded screws in the middle. Red Feather Outfitters does have Larry's improved trigger kit and steel forend or aluminum weights. I did pick up a custom mount, 11mm to Aimpoint micro footprint, and slapped a Primary Arms MD-25 on it.

Sc0

Snappyobx likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Webjak Fri Jul 30 2021, 09:28

"Yet people are afraid to put a bristled brass brush down a bore for cleaning. 
Something about this makes 0 sense to me. To each his own.......of mice and men."

I think it has more to do with the use of a metal rod, steel or aluminum base on the brass brush than the brass brush itself.

Webjak

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot Fri Jul 30 2021, 11:46

"Funky safety lever extension" is peculiar to the IPSC model. It's to make application of safety easier, since in IPSC, safeties are used constantly. Downside is that it's easy to apply it unintentionally until you get used to handling the pistol.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by bbh791 Fri Jul 30 2021, 19:44

There is no way a bore snake will damage a barrel.

bbh791

ermakevin, Arthur, SilentAssassin and Avalanche like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sat Jul 31 2021, 07:28

Opinions vary

Last edited by jglenn21 on Fri Nov 19 2021, 10:27; edited 1 time in total
jglenn21
jglenn21

farmboy, lakemurrayman and TicTocer like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TicTocer Fri Aug 13 2021, 00:40

Received the X-Essee SF IPSC today. Cannot tell much difference from previous X-Essee. Would like to think the slide is tighter fit. But minimal if any. Both weigh 32 oz.
Might be all marketing from Walther. Sounded like an upgrade. A trip to the range is in order to see if it is an improvement.
Read all the issues with early Sig Trsailside pistols. Think they have addressed the fragile trigger guard and quick wearing notch in the slide for the slide stop a long time ago.
The X-Essex has run perfectly. SF model should be at least as good.Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? 8d884a10
Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? A3dcb310Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? 8d884a10
Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? A3dcb310

TicTocer

SingleActionAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? Empty First trip to range

Post by TicTocer Sat Aug 14 2021, 01:23

Shot the original X-Essex Standard Long and the X-Essee SF IPSC today. Post range cleaning shows they look identical. If machined from billet now it is not apparentAnyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? 8443c210
Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? 47308910
.[url=https://servimg.com/view/20362888/7]Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? 8443c210
Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? 8443c210[/url]

What was a clear difference was the Standard vs the IPSC. The sights work better for me on the SF IPSC. Shot a tighter grouping and put more holes in the dime sized bullseye. 
  Triggers were a little different. Both are as come from the factory. The SF Standard is supposed to have a simpler trigger than the other three SF models. Not sure if this is rumor or fact.

TicTocer

ermakevin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GBDavisJr Fri Nov 19 2021, 09:36

After 2 model 41s (barrels by Clark & FCW) Depending on sights/ optics, Best in class. Bullseye, and Steel Challenge.

However, my Wife drives a 4.5" Trailside (Offset aimpoint mount) for Bullseye. I drive an X-ese IPSC 1 year old model (I got new). I bought the Walther Pic mount, had it machined to mount rear (rear bottom off, pic off in front, Perfect for C-More RTS2 8MOA mounted rear for better FOV. Tack Driver, perfect SC gun.

If you want Fast & Smooth, push the mag followers down and use a .22 Bronze bore brush (clean) and brush the inside of the mag inside front past the mag release engagement hole, and a light brushing (2or3 strokes) by the front top edge. This removes the injection mold flashing. 13000 rounds in 6 months, runs like a Singer Sewing Machine...Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? Img_2010
Anyone has experience on new Hammerli XEsse Steel Frame? Img_2011

GBDavisJr

ermakevin and Snappyobx like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TicTocer Fri Nov 19 2021, 12:05

Thanks for the tip on cleaning up the magazines. Will try a couple to see if it is a noticeable change. Slapped an Aimpoint 11mm adapter and Primary Arms dot on the IPSC SF.
Primary Arms is walking distance from the house. But the path goes through some tough neighborhoods. They will let the public in to peruse tables with close outs, blems, and other discounted items. Feels like stealing.
Looked at the Champions Choice and LGI mounts for my Long Slide. Both look too Rube Goldberg. Plus cost as much as the dots I use.

TicTocer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next