Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advantage using both hands?

+8
chopper
john bickar
Sa-tevp
rreid
inthebeech
CR10X
Jon Eulette
beeser
12 posters

Go down

Advantage using both hands? Empty Advantage using both hands?

Post by beeser Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:29 pm

How much of an advantage is there in shooting with both hands as opposed to one hand?

Last edited by beeser on Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total

beeser

Back to top Go down

Advantage using both hands? Empty Re: Advantage using both hands?

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:37 pm

I can shoot better one handed.......exceptionally better than two hand hold. No advantage once you learn to shoot one handed.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Al and farmboy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:36 am

Definitely an advantage, if you know how to do it. 

If there was not an advantage, then Metallic Silhouette shooters (out to 100 meters for small bore and 200 meters for full bore) would be using one hand.

And since I've tried both, I know for myself.  Pretty much cleans most of the time (50 and 25).  Metallic Silhouette, well not quite so good even with 2 hands, not an easy sport. 

But shooting with 2 hands can screw up your single hand shooting.  The grip with 2 hands (about 75 % with off hand and 25 % pressure with trigger hand) allows much better trigger control / operation (pretty much standard practice for IPSC / USPSA / other sports that allow 2 hand position).  But when you transition back, it takes some getting used to keeping a firm grip and trigger control with the trigger hand only. 

See Rob Leatham's comments about shooting precision pistol.  Basically he said slow fire was ok, but TF / RF single hand was the toughest part getting used to shooting with one hand.  Anyway, that's kinda an example of how it works both ways compared to what you are used to doing.  

CR

CR10X

tomj44 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:23 am

Huge!
But then you wouldn’t be a Bullseye shooter.
You’d be a shooter; or a girl. 

A guy in my indoor league shot two handed all winter.  Because “the group” did not have any objections, two-handed shooters’ scores were counted for final standings (and even turned in to the NRA without telling them).  He and I both got our first cards (Indoor Sharpshooter) at the end of that season.  He also beat me out of the second place trophy at the end of the season, by one tenth of a point.  He knew he wasn’t a real BE shooter and I suspect it weighed on him; but obviously not enough to voluntarily disqualify himself like many of the other two-handed shooters did.
I sleep like a baby with my pitiful SS card.
inthebeech
inthebeech

chopper and Wlw145s like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:45 pm

My opinion, two handed gives you an advantage in recoil control, and quicker follow up shots. Definitely an advantage in uspsa, debatable if it would help in bullseye
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:06 pm

beeser wrote:How much of an advantage is there in shooting with both hands as opposed to one hand?

If you get good shooting with your left hand you can still get good scores in Conventional Pistol - Precision Pistol - Bullseye if your right hand gets injured. Adam Sokolowski proved this.

Maybe I misunderstood your question?  Cool
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:26 pm

inthebeech wrote:or a girl.

I dare you to say that to Ruby Fox 😉
john bickar
john bickar

Al, jmdavis and willnewton like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:42 pm

Inthebeach, we had a weekly league in our club that gave awards and dinner to winners also. Fair or not some of us Bullseye shooters would get a prize now and then. But they never used NRA rules so  it was their made up rules that could change during the 10 week league. They wouldn't know how to run a proper Bullseye match, but it was good practice for the upcoming NRA postal matches a couple months later. 
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by msmith44 Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:48 pm

inthebeech wrote:Huge!
But then you wouldn’t be a Bullseye shooter.
You’d be a shooter; or a girl. 

NRA has a provisional 2-hand category for NRA sanctioned events. The highest available 2-hand classification is expert. If memory allows it's section 24 in the rulebook. 2-handed shooting allows people who love the sport to continue to compete against other 2-handed shooters and that's the way it should be. There comes a point when even the most skilled marksman reaches an age where he/she has difficulty handling a Model 41 at 40.3 ounces with one hand. Mixing two-handed scores with the conventional one-handed discipline simply isn't fair. Allow each to compete in their own way. When I started shooting in the early 60's red dot sights didn't exist and now they are allowed. Things change and there is a whole generation of shooters who are starting out learning two-hand techniques.

msmith44

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:25 am

For me, shooting two-handed can be like shooting with a gun rest.  

On heavier guns, or Magnum loads, I wouldn't dare to shoot with one hand.

Lately I seem to shoot better most of the time with one hand, but one hand held out in front of me feels more "steady" than having the gun much closer with two hands involved.

Some guns seem to "fit" me better with one or two hands, than the other way.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Advantage using both hands? Empty Related but maybe relevant

Post by frazitl2 Sun May 30, 2021 7:15 pm

When I shoot two handed, it is for personal defense currency and definitely results in higher scores.  My good shots off (one) handed are actually as good or better than two handed.  However I shoot more "flyers" one handed, and thus larger groups.

Used to shoot competitive target and field archery at the national level in the "limited" division.  E.G. no mechanical release.  Many in my division used a simple device called a "clicker" to time our release.  It was a legal aide (including for Olympic competition} for "target panic", or "flinching" in the firearm world.  Is there such a thing in the Bullseye world?

frazitl2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sun May 30, 2021 8:06 pm

Seems to me that this defeats the purpose for many of us, trying to get a "surprise break" so we don't know exactly when the gun will fire.  Shooting deliberately might be good for the better shooters, but I still perform better when I let the gun fire from my subconscious, as I'm just gradually adding pressure to the trigger.  Knowing the gun is going to fire NOW at least for me, makes it more likely I will jerk the shot, disturbing my aim.

I was thinking about this earlier today.  I can "shoot" as well one handed or two, but with two hands the gun is a lot more stable, and the holes are a lot more likely to go where I want them to go.  The more I practice, the better I get one handed, but two handed feels like I'm shooting from a gun rest.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon May 31, 2021 6:53 am

I believe 2 hand was advantageous when shooting revolvers and rapid reloads .

In some disciplines, PPC for example, where positional shots are required, single handed shooting would be detrimental.

For stand up bullseye shooting, the traditional 1-hand is preferable
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down