Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swampfox Blade - red dot sight for astigmatism

5 posters

Go down

Swampfox Blade - red dot sight for astigmatism Empty Swampfox Blade - red dot sight for astigmatism

Post by Tripscape Tue May 11, 2021 3:47 pm

I don't have one, but now I want one. 
Looks interesting, has an etched in glass dot / chevron so the reticle appears properly shaped even for people with astigmatism.  Because reticle is etched when off it looks black, which is very cool if you want to do the sub six hold on the chevron especially outside in good light. Very good brightness settings.
Fairly small, but has that battery that raises it up that is a kind of the only deal killer for me.  I like my optics low to the bore axis.  Nevertheless, throwing it out there for you guys, I know many of you have eye issues.  Great price as well.

Deal here: 
https://gun.deals/product/swampfox-optics-blade-1x25mm-green-or-red-ir-brc-reticle-prism-sight-214-after-code-tag

Review videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz8uSCDPXDM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmv6x-jrkmo

This guys shows reticle brightness really well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2OM4YeS34

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Swampfox Blade - red dot sight for astigmatism Empty Re: Swampfox Blade - red dot sight for astigmatism

Post by SteveT Wed May 12, 2021 7:47 am

Interesting concept. I like the idea of etched reticle that is visible when off or in bright lighting. I don't think the circle / chevron reticle is right for bullseye though. From the pictures it doesn't look like it would be lower than UD or AP, but I don't see any specs. It looks like the fairly large (and less standard) CR123 battery is between the mount and the scope making it higher. 1/2 MOA adjustments is good. 13 oz is pretty heavy.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Swampfox Blade - red dot sight for astigmatism Empty Re: Swampfox Blade - red dot sight for astigmatism

Post by Tripscape Wed May 12, 2021 9:41 am

Definitely higher than the standard options and heavier. Trade off is clarity and cool factor. I think chevron is something that can be adopted to. Like I said, just throwing it out there for consideration for folks with bad eyes.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by msmith44 Wed May 12, 2021 10:46 pm

Tripscape wrote:
Looks interesting, has an etched in glass dot / chevron so the reticle appears properly shaped even for people with astigmatism.  
If you have properly fitted lenses why would the reticle be anything but properly shaped?

msmith44

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Sun May 16, 2021 12:28 pm

The concept is great, I want one! The red dot as we know it is reflected off the lens, actually there is nothing round. I can't remember the scope brand, Name was well known though not for scopes If my memory is correct. It had typical cross hairs with a dot in the middle but had a light source that illuminated the reticle especially the dot. It was to aid limited daylight use so the red illumination was not very visible during bright daylight. Magnification was low so it worked for pistol use. Battery was slightly lower in voltage than the typical battery of equal size but not much. Something like 3.1V while standard of same size was 3.5 or so. Wanting a brighter dot I thought the larger voltage battery would work though the instructions warned against do it. But I did it anyway, worked great for a match maybe 2 but the red light source ceased to operate after a short while. To make this long and boring story longer, I was attempting to illuminate the reticle of  the one time popular 1 or 1.5X scopes with a dot reticle. It started one day when I was shooting the dot in the Gil Hebard pistol scope glowed green. I shot the match well with it and simply thought is was due to some type of eye fatigue similar to that illustration of the flag when after staring at it in if I recall a greenish color then when looking away the flag was still seen except now red and white. A while later it happened again! Then one day I was practicing at a range I set-up at my home (lived on a farm at the time) shooting with no cover in bright sun my dot turned Blue! After a bit I realized what had happened, I was wearing the Green NJ Pistol Team shirt at the match and now wearing a Blue shirt, it was light reflected from the shirt that colored the dot! Having another Dot scope I disassembled it and found the reticles are not black in scopes, they are bright silver! The black comes from the shadow created by the light entering from the objective side and that I could change the color of the reticle on any scope by simply putting a colored light source on the ocular side! To shorten this boring story, I eventually had a daylight light source developed and installed on a Dot scope I got from Fred Kart. It was a domed item that was mounted on the scope near the rear, gathered daylight and focused it on the dot. Worked great except under covered firing line! We were working on trying to get light from the sides rather than above when Aimpoint came out with the battery light source! I did compete one year at Perry with my scope, then purchased Aimpoints!
 I have told this story quite a few times to friends wondering why other scope makers didn't attempt to illuminate the reticle that has worked great in scopes for years!! I think that scope I ruined was a Thompson of Contender fame. I guess now someone is doing it and I will be looking for it after I finish here.

Checked out sites linked in topic, from what I see it's prism scope, Short eye relief! I hope they make a long eye relief model soon, it's possible since pistol scopes are long eye relief but none that I know of are prism. I'll keep looking!!
Optics Planet lists eye relief at 3.8"

Last edited by Froneck on Sun May 16, 2021 3:37 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : looked at SwampFox sight, more info)

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Sun May 16, 2021 4:33 pm

Frank is right, I failed to check it. 3.8" eye relief is a no go. Darn...

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon May 17, 2021 1:01 am

Too bad about eye relief . Showing my age. I had a Bushnell scope in the late 60s  that had a pop up post and super fine crosshairs. Their answer to bad light
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down