Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LabRadar question

+9
apipeguy
tovaert
Fezzik68
Ray Dash
Caster3845
willnewton
messenger
john bickar
SonOfSwede
13 posters

Go down

LabRadar question Empty LabRadar question

Post by SonOfSwede 5/11/2021, 6:24 pm

Is the LabRadar a real instrument or just a fun toy?

SonOfSwede

Back to top Go down

LabRadar question Empty Re: LabRadar question

Post by john bickar 5/11/2021, 6:44 pm

I borrowed one and then that was enough to convince me to buy one.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 5/11/2021, 7:49 pm

They are pricy but you get what you pay for. I love mine.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 5/11/2021, 8:06 pm

SonOfSwede wrote:Is the LabRadar a real instrument or just a fun toy?

Yes.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caster3845 5/11/2021, 9:06 pm

Is the LabRadar a real instrument or just a fun toy?

Yes, it is very real and worth the price
Caster3845
Caster3845

troystaten likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Dash 5/12/2021, 5:01 am

Great piece of equipment. Can be a bit frustrating at first but once you get it figured out its a great tool for a reloader.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by Fezzik68 5/12/2021, 5:29 am

Buy once, cry once. It's a pleasure to chrono indoors when working up loads. Use the points off your credit card...

Fezzik68

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 5/14/2021, 7:55 am

I use mine for rifle and pistol. It works well. A couple of things to note: (1) You have to aim it properly, position it laterally and behind the muzzle as instructed, and set the lateral distance in the software settings. I wish it came with an aiming device, rather than using the small notch in the housing (as/per the instructions). I place a small tube in the aiming notch and sight it in via the tube (aim a little high). That works but it is a bit clumsy. (2) Make sure you familiarize yourself with the software. I switch back and forth from rifle and pistol, so it's important to set the 5 "data point" distances properly. Remember that this device does not actually measure MV...it measures velocity via radar at 5 points downrange and then fits a smooth polynomial curve through those points. It then interpolates to get the MV. So you want 5 (or at least 4) data points, especially the point closest to the unit, or you need to reposition the unit and/or make software changes. (3) I bought the square base that is sold with the unit. If you buy the base, but want to mount it on a full-size tripod (which I use for pistol testing next to the Ransom Rest), buy the Sunpak TraveLite Pro tripod because the small plate that attaches to the Labradar itself, for their square mounting base, also clamps onto the Sunpak tripod. (4) Forget about using AA batteries. A day at the range will gobble them up in no time. Buy a decent USB battery power pack on Amazon. You won't regret that. (5) Firmware updates are done by downloading a file to a stick drive on your computer, and then plugging that into the Labradar. I've done one and it's pretty straightforward.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by apipeguy 5/14/2021, 8:07 am

Bought mine back when they were 400. Never regretted it and very much enjoy the ease of use. Doesn’t matter the weather, indoor or outdoors, it just works. No going down range to set anything up. Just a quick set up right at your bench.
apipeguy
apipeguy

Back to top Go down

Post by rkittine 5/14/2021, 8:50 am

I love mine and as others have said, it is a real precision instrument if you learn how to use it correctly. 

It has it's issues though, mostly around enclosed shooting where there maybe a lot of echos or shooting through tunnels like I have to do on the rifle range at my home club, or when using with rim fire, which may require the added rim fire / archery adapter, which I have. So I do keep a conventional one too.
rkittine
rkittine

Back to top Go down

Post by pgg 5/14/2021, 7:02 pm

The Bluetooth phone app for it sucks but even that can't really detract from how great it is.

pgg

Back to top Go down

Post by Fezzik68 5/14/2021, 7:32 pm

Bluetooth is intermittent. Not a big deal to change settings, though. Get a USB battery bank. I tape a straw in the notch to aim to target. Mini tripod base works pretty good. I'm pretty happy with it and have been using it often.

Fezzik68

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 5/14/2021, 9:08 pm

LabRadar question 20201211

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick H. 5/19/2021, 9:34 am

I have a real love/hate relationship with my LabRadar unit.  When it is up and running properly it is a masterpiece of data collection.  The problems come in when setting it up correctly (aiming) and adjusting the triggering signal.  Once you have those two issues figured out it is a marvel of ease and information gathering.

Rick H.

Rick H.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down