Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My results with DR Ammo

3 posters

Go down

My results with DR Ammo Empty My results with DR Ammo

Post by Kermit Workman 6/21/2011, 8:38 pm

I just completed some Ransom Rest work with my revolver working up a load for DR competition. I thought I would pass along the results to help others.
My revolver is a S&W 14-6, 6" barrel. I bought a NEI mold for a 158 gr. SWC bullet which is similiar to the 158 "Keith" style bullet. Bullets are cast with range salvaged lead smelted 20-25 lbs at a time. They appear hard with the finger nail scratch test. Bullets are sized .358 in a Star Lubrisizer. Ammo was loaded on a Dillon 550B. Primers were Winchester Small Pistol Regular. Brass was restricted to WEIH (What Ever I Had) or assorted.
Groups were shot in six round groups and I discarded the first shot in each group. I figured that by unloading,reloading the revolver I would discount the first round and give the revolver a chance to settle back down in the Ransom Rest. I shot two five round groups per load and averaged the groups. here are my results.

Powder Grains Groups Size CTC"
WW231 3.5 3 1/2"

Solo 1000 3.3 2 1/2"

Solo 1000 3.5 3 3/4"

Salut 4.0 2 1/2"

Salut 4.4 3 1/8" Salut is a surplus powder known as "Russian Unique"

I also had loaded 3.7 Gn. Bullseye over a 158 gr. Speer swagged bullet. I shot six rounds and the group was 7-8". It was an 8 ring group on a 50 yard repair center. I didn't bother to measure it. Also I have tried using BE and WW231 with other loads( and bullets) and did not have satisfactory results. That is why I tried the Solo 1000 and the Salut.
I hope this helps anyone trying to develope a DR load. YMMV.

Kermit Workman

Back to top Go down

My results with DR Ammo Empty Re: My results with DR Ammo

Post by JGHermann 6/21/2011, 9:39 pm

7-8" is about the same as I've gotten with BE powder. Could never get a good load with 158s.
JGHermann
JGHermann

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Freyfogle 6/28/2011, 3:51 pm

Kermit,
Try kicking up your W231 load to 4.0 grains. That powder is quite sensitive and 4.0 may do a lot better than 3.5 grains. It did for me. I'm shooting the Zero 158 grain swaged SWC's.
Bill
Bill Freyfogle
Bill Freyfogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down