Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone try aperture sights on a pistol.

4 posters

Go down

Anyone try aperture sights on a pistol. Empty Anyone try aperture sights on a pistol.

Post by zanemoseley Fri May 28, 2021 10:07 pm

The other day it occurred to me I've never seen anyone try aperture sights on a pistol. I'm sure it's been tried but wonder what the results were. I wonder if perhaps the sight radius is too short for them to work but seems if notch sights work it should work wirh apertures.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Anyone try aperture sights on a pistol. Empty Re: Anyone try aperture sights on a pistol.

Post by Wobbley Fri May 28, 2021 10:26 pm

The real issue is that aperture rear sights work best when close to the eye.  The 1903 rifle sight was an error.

Aperture fronts could be used but that concept would be better adapted as a “glow worm” sight with a pair of dots for alignment purposes.  Zero so the shots go where the “glow worm” is placed, identical to an electronic dot.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Anyone try aperture sights on a pistol. Empty Re: Anyone try aperture sights on a pistol.

Post by james r chapman Sat May 29, 2021 7:23 am

I used aperture sights on a 15” TC contender for IHMSA BB back in ‘79-81.

Worked ok.

Edit - really more of a ghost ring rear sight. A custom job on a Redfield Olympic rear sight for the fine adjustments for 200 M

Last edited by james r chapman on Sat May 29, 2021 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Truth in advertising)
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Sat May 29, 2021 10:46 am

zanemoseley wrote:The other day it occurred to me I've never seen anyone try aperture sights on a pistol. I'm sure it's been tried but wonder what the results were.

Unless this statement pertains specifically to pistols with open / iron sights, it is incorrect.  When it comes to dot sights, many shooters nowadays use aperture rings.  John Zurek even set new record shooting at recent match in AZ.

However regardless of that, using apertures as an open sight isn't allowed for service pistols, and TMBK it is also not allowed as a metallic sights.  However I might be wrong on latter.  I do have several pistols with 2mm aperture front sights (i.e. custom CZ75), and it works great.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down