Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parallax free sights - is this. useful for Bullseye?

+17
SilentAssassin
inthebeech
chopper
rburk
PhotoEscape
TonyH
Jon Eulette
LenV
Froneck
chiz1180
-TT-
Allgoodhits
Steve B
Tripscape
WesG
DA/SA
mikemyers
21 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Parallax free sights - is this. useful for Bullseye? - Page 4 Empty Parallax free sights - is this. useful for Bullseye?

Post by mikemyers 6/7/2021, 9:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Aimpoint makes a big deal about how their sights are Parallax-Free:  "Aimpoint sights are parallax-free, which means that the visible dot remains parallel to the bore of your weapon no matter what angle your eye is in relation to the sight. This means you never have to worry about centering the dot inside the sight. When the dot is on target, so are you."

There's an illustration on their web page:
https://www.aimpoint.com/academy/parallax-free

I was wondering how important this is to Bullseye Shooters, and if it is, what other sights offer that capability?  

I wouldn't think so, but does this help changing between 25 and 50 yards?  I know it won't compensate for the bullet falling more, but maybe there's more to it?

(The new P-2 ACRO is very small, very light, and KC apparently is already working on adapters for it.  As far as I can tell, it's not available for sale yet, and in a previous discussion, people here were concerned about there being so little protection from rain and stuff making it difficult to see through the sight. )
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Parallax free sights - is this. useful for Bullseye? - Page 4 Empty Re: Parallax free sights - is this. useful for Bullseye?

Post by SilentAssassin 6/15/2021, 7:28 pm

Wobbley wrote:They don’t meet the rules therefore they aren’t Bench rifles.
Au contraire mon frere.
In unlimited class benchrest , they do in fact meet the rules.
The biggest difference in F-class and Banchrest is you're laying on your belly in F-class, using basically the exact same equipment as Benchrest.
That is why F-class is commonly referred to as, "Belly benchrest."
If it rains, you get wet.

Conversely, in Benchrest competition, a competitor can and does use his F-class rig, only off a bench while sitting on a stool.

SilentAssassin

Back to top Go down

Parallax free sights - is this. useful for Bullseye? - Page 4 Empty Re: Parallax free sights - is this. useful for Bullseye?

Post by mikemyers 6/18/2021, 8:53 pm

An update for this thread.  

I bought a new 1" Ultradot sight from Amazon, and it was delivered yesterday.  I mounted it on my Nelson Conversion to try today, and other than a smaller FOV (Field Of View) it worked just as nicely as my Aimpoint 9000SC.  I didn't expect that, and being 5 ounces lighter made it more comfortable.

The reason I'm posting this though is that looking through this sight, the negative magnification seems to be gone.  I didn't expect that.  It's a "Gen 2" sight, and either my eyes are playing tricks on me, or they've corrected that issue.

I should add that I had cataract surgery in both eyes, and because the IOL they fitted me was a different strength for each eye, and because my eyes are not exactly the same, looking through one eye made things look smaller than looking with the other.  That has nothing to do with the sight - it's always that way.  Technically, it means I have "Diplopia".

Still, looking through the new Ultradot, and then looking with the same eye at something, the sight no longer seemed to reduce the size of what I was looking at.  Maybe I'll call Ultradot tomorrow, and ask if they changed this for the Gen2 sights.  If so, I'll post the information here.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 6/20/2021, 1:35 pm

From the Ultradot web sight https://ultradotusa.com

"COMING SOON – ULTRADOT4
The Ultradot 4 is back! This sight has a 25mm tube with the requested dot sizes of 2, 4, 8 & 10. You’re welcome Adam and Dave! Available Summer 2021"

I have no idea who Adam and Dave are, but dot sizes of 2 and 4 sounds good.  I often wonder what dot size bullseye shooters prefer most.  I always get different answers.

Parallax free sights - is this. useful for Bullseye? - Page 4 Ultradot-4-banner2
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 6/20/2021, 1:48 pm

mikemyers wrote:From the Ultradot web sight https://ultradotusa.com

"COMING SOON – ULTRADOT4
The Ultradot 4 is back! This sight has a 25mm tube with the requested dot sizes of 2, 4, 8 & 10. You’re welcome Adam and Dave! Available Summer 2021"

I have no idea who Adam and Dave are, but dot sizes of 2 and 4 sounds good.  I often wonder what dot size bullseye shooters prefer most.  I always get different answers.

Parallax free sights - is this. useful for Bullseye? - Page 4 Ultradot-4-banner2

Big dots!  Yes!  I'd trade every Matchdot I got for 1" 4 dots
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 6/20/2021, 1:57 pm

“IMO the primary reason that the BE Aggregate record from 1969 stands. It was done with irons, no parallax, just raw sight alignment and trigger control, with a huge heaping of talent.”

1974 I think   

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 6/20/2021, 2:13 pm

Any dot sight shooting I have ever done has not equaled the few times I had my head screwed on right when shooting irons.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 6/20/2021, 2:19 pm

Jack H wrote:Any dot sight shooting I have ever done has not equaled the few times I had my head screwed on right when shooting irons.
The guns are lighter, which over the course of a 2700 can make a big difference.   Also irons are easier to shoot in poor conditions, like rain and wind.  A big gun with a big sight catches much more wind.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 6/20/2021, 2:26 pm

No.  The number one thing for me is the head screwed on straight thing. Then a good gin, oops!  I mean and gun and ammo.  And the gun has to have a fantastic trigger.  And great eyesight or lens to really see the sight.  And be physically up to the task.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by swissyhawk 6/20/2021, 4:07 pm

"COMING SOON – ULTRADOT4

The old ultradot 4 dot had dot sizes of 4, 8, 12, and 16.
I always felt like the 12 and 16 were unusable.  I wonder why the new one is skipping 6.  I think 2, 4, 6, and 8 would be a better set of choices.

swissyhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 6/20/2021, 4:11 pm

swissyhawk wrote:

"COMING SOON – ULTRADOT4

The old ultradot 4 dot had dot sizes of 4, 8, 12, and 16.
I always felt like the 12 and 16 were unusable.  I wonder why the new one is skipping 6.  I think 2, 4, 6, and 8 would be a better set of choices.
Congrats.   Buy the Matchdot  with 2, 4, 6 and 8.    On very bright days, I did not find the large dots unusable at all.   Many use a smaller dot for slow fire, and a bigger one for timed and rapid.   It keeps you from looking at the target,

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4