Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What can older shooters do, to hang onto their shooting ability, and maybe even improve

+11
jwax
jjfitch
Joe Morgan
CR10X
L Valdez
Kp321
jimsteele
Axehandle
BE Mike
OldShooter43
mikemyers
15 posters

Go down

What can older shooters do, to hang onto their shooting ability, and maybe even improve Empty What can older shooters do, to hang onto their shooting ability, and maybe even improve

Post by mikemyers Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:27 pm

I'm struggling with fighting off the effects of getting older.  I have some friends who do Bullseye Shooting who have the same issue - as we get older, our guns seem to get heavier, and it's more and more difficult to maintain our previous shooting ability.  I was reading the following website, and it got me wondering about what else I can do to maintain (and maybe continue to improve) my shooting ability.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/nutrition-health-and-wellness/5-ways-to-stay-strong-as-you-age.html

When I first joined this forum, I learned that I should only use one hand.  So I picked up my Les Baer 45 with one hand - was a disaster.  Not only could I not even hold it up, holding it out in front of me with one hand, but the gun shook like crazy.  That lead me to learning from Keith Sanderson, doing holding drills and dry-firing.

I did get to where I could start holding my guns up in front of me and shooting with one hand, but it was awful.  With two hands, I got "nice" targets.  With one hand there was no group, and I was lucky if the holes appeared anywhere on the target.  Over time, that continued to improve.  Over the past week or so, I've been struggling to hold up my Nelson/Caspian gun with one hand, and it was a fight that I wasn't gaining very much.  Then I did the same trick I used long ago - back then, I put a wrist weight on my right wrist, forced myself to hold the gun up as if to shoot it, and after half my training session, I removed the weight.  That helped - the gun felt like it was made from plastic.  

Dave Salyer eventually built me a 1911 magazine that he filled with lead.  Much better than the wrist weights.

Let's fast forward to the present.....
Today I finally made it through my half-hour training session, leaving the lead magazine in place.  The red dot mostly stayed put, and the gun didn't start to shake.  I will continue to do this a few times a day, every day.  Until today, I had to remove the lead magazine before the session ended.  So today is definitely an improvement.

Goals:

• My first goal is just to hold the gun up one handed (with the lead magazine) with the dot remaining stable, and the gun neither shaking, nor trying to fall.
  • My second goal is to go to the range with a Nelson magazine and 5 rounds, and shoot an acceptable target (for me) one handed.
  • My more important goal is to be able to shoot as well, or preferably better, with one hand than I do with two hands.

I've got some friends who are even older than I am (77 going on 78), who have a similar problem.  Their gun shakes, which makes it hard to get good scores.

The point of posting this thread, is to ask any of you who are at least 75 years old, preferably older, what things have helped you to retain and maybe even continue to improve your Bullseye shooting.

What can older shooters do, to hang onto their shooting ability, and maybe even improve 1883569342
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

What can older shooters do, to hang onto their shooting ability, and maybe even improve Empty Re: What can older shooters do, to hang onto their shooting ability, and maybe even improve

Post by OldShooter43 Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:03 am

OK, Mike:
I'll be 78 this coming November and I have "essential tremors" according to my doctor.  I use a "Prohands" heavy tension grip strengthener almost every day and use a 1/1/2 lb. wrist weight from time to time.  I have a Nelson conversion mounted on a Les Baer Hillsdale "hardball" frame and an Accuracy-X pistol with all of the multi-sight options.  I also have a fairly large collection of high end pistols and S&W revolvers.

I've accepted the fact that I will never be competitive shooting bullseye again, primarily due to the essential tremors which make holding the pistol reasonably steady impossible - especially during slow fire.  Nothing is going to change that.  There is no magic elixir, secret technique, or just one more really good gun that will overcome the aging process.

Having said all that, there is absolutely no reason that I can't go to the range and enjoy shooting almost every week.  I just accept that keeping them all in the black at 15 or 20 yards is a good day for me.  As a fairly well known movie character said, "A man's got to know his limitations".

Just try to relax and enjoy your shooting.

OldShooter43

flyer898 likes this post

Back to top Go down

What can older shooters do, to hang onto their shooting ability, and maybe even improve Empty Re: What can older shooters do, to hang onto their shooting ability, and maybe even improve

Post by mikemyers Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:29 am

Thanks for the reply - with one exception, I'm also doing most of the things you mentioned, a heavy-duty grip strengthener, the wrist weights, and going to the range several times every week, to keep in shape.  I'm also doing many more "holding drills" and "dry-firing".

The tremors are a real issue - both of my brothers have them worse than I do.  Years ago, I figured they were "essential" tremors, but now I suspect they are "functional tremors".
     ( https://essentialtremortreatment.com/essential-tremor-functional-tremor-whats-difference/ )
My brother "knows" he has essential tremors, but from the way he describes them, I'm sure he has functional tremors.  What works to treat one doesn't work for the other.

The best tool I've found to help with this is my lead-filled magazine.  Practicing with it is uncomfortable, but after half an hour of doing so, I am so much better when I remove it from my gun.  Most of my guns I shoot two-handed, always have, probably always will.  By now, I can "almost" shoot the Nelson Conversion equally well with one hand.  I know I'm making progress, but I don't know if I will ever succeed.  

So you'll be 78 this coming November?  Cool, you beat me by a month.  I'll be there as well the coming December 22.  :-)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:49 am

I do, in fact, have essential tremors.  There are times that I can't write my name or carry a cup of coffee without spilling some - especially early in the morning.  It's actually gotten a bit better during the past year.  Thankfully, I don't have Parkinson's disease.  I also do not have strength issues other than I'm not supposed to lift more than 40 lbs. with my left hand since I have a pacemaker.  I must admit that I spend at least half of my range time practicing defensive pistol shooting - which does not enhance your "precision pistol" shooting.  Tremors are not a factor there - the objective is to consistently draw and fire 3 shots in less than 3 seconds @ 7 yds. with no A zone misses.  I can still meet that goal about 75% of the time.

Do as much as you can as long as you can! Smile

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:45 am

I agree with everything in that article. High protein diet, low weight/ high rep. weights and cardio (walking). Staying out of that easy chair is also a key. I had to give up competitive shooting due to an injury. Not being able to shoot as well as one once did, really takes a toll on the mental aspect.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:06 am

Injuries - yuck!!!   My brother had shoulder surgery, twice, because of a rotator cup problem, and while his doctor says he can shoot again, it's been years, and I think he's only shot six rounds since then, total.  

I wish I knew many years ago what I know now.  I never knew that "bullseye shooting" even existed.  I lived in Michigan, and there were probably lots of places in the 1990's to shoot bullseye.

I agree with you - stay out of that easy chair!!!!  ....and eat well, and do a lot of walking.  And, every day, do dry-fire practice for at least an hour.  If I'm watching TV,  I can simultaneously practice trigger control.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:12 pm

Check out the records for senior (2668) and grand senior (2640).  Best bet is just keeping on keeping on...  I'm still young at 68 but a 18 year lapse in competition from 1996 to 2014 dropped my aggregate average 80 points.  Doesn't look  like it is coming back.  Just enjoy shooting and trying to get better. 
National Records | Competitive Shooting Programs (nra.org)

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimsteele Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:06 am

Axehandle said    " I'm still young at 68 but a 18 year lapse in competition from 1996 to 2014 dropped my aggregate average 80 points."

Oh thank heaven, I thought it was just me.
I am 79 now and a 25 year lapse dropped my agg. about 80 points also. It's good to know I am not alone. Thank you.
   Now where did I leave my glasses?

jimsteele

jjfitch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:42 am

Axehandle wrote:Check out the records for senior (2668) and grand senior (2640).  Best bet is just keeping on keeping on...  I'm still young at 68 but a 18 year lapse in competition from 1996 to 2014 dropped my aggregate average 80 points.  Doesn't look  like it is coming back.  Just enjoy shooting and trying to get better. 
National Records | Competitive Shooting Programs (nra.org)
Can I ask what are "Senior" and "Grand Senior"?   Does a person's NRA classification change when they reach a certain age?

I went to the website listed above, but I didn't find a way to get to "Senior".

So, at the upcoming Nationals and at Perry, someone who reaches a certain age is automatically moved into a different classification?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:50 am

Due to shoulder surgery, I cannot hold steady one handed with my right. I have always shot right handed although I am a lefty for most things. Over the past year, I have retrained myself to shoot a pistol left handed and at 73, I am back within a few points of my old scores, which were never great by the way. One plus, my left eye is slightly better than my right.

Kp321

jjfitch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by L Valdez Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:59 am

Senior category is for shooters between the age of 60 - 69. It starts with the year you turn 60, the month is not important, only the year.

Grand Senior is for shooters age 70 and older. The person is a GS on the year he turns 70, the month does not matter, just the year.

If you turn 60 on Dec of this year, you're a Senior shooter beginning Jan 1 of this year. Same applies for GS

The two categories are for any NRA approved or registered match, not just the Nationals.

Last edited by L Valdez on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

L Valdez

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:15 pm

"Senior" and "Grand Senior", like "Junior", "Civilian", and others that are defined in the NRA Precision Pistol Rules are actually "Categories" or "Category" in the singular, not a classification.  The determination awards or recognition for Categories is at the discretion of the organizers of the tournament. It is not mandatory for any NRA sanctioned tournament. If there are to be awards for specific Category(ies), it will generally be noted in the Tournament Program.  

"Classification" is a different thing entirely and is dependent upon scores fired in Approved or Registered tournaments over specific Matches outlined in the rule book by an individual shooter, no matter what the shooter's Category may be.

"Divisions" are based on the type of pistol used, Open or Metallic. 

Therefore a shooter can have a different Classification depending on the Match type (Indoor or Outdoor) and Division (Open or Metallic) in which the shooter has amassed the requisite number of shots to obtain a classification, no matter what Category they may qualify to compete under, if any.   

Categories are generally specified and noted in the Tournament Bulletin (scores) at most major regionals, state and national tournaments but not at smaller ones.   Also, you will find most major tournaments will also specify Awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Overall before going to Awards by Classification and then (maybe) by Category (like Civilian / Police / Military).  Smaller matches may only Award the overall winner of each match or the tournament before going on to awards by Classification, and rarely by Category, since there just aren't that many shooters. Again, this is at the discretion of individual tournament.  

The tournament may also recognize and/or award for other categories like Senior, Grand Senior, Woman, Junior, Collegiate, etc., or maybe even by Division (Open / Metallic).  In any event, like the rule book, it pays to read the tournament program. 

And again, these and may other things will be revealed upon reading the rule book.

Finally, the rule book provides direction for many things a tournament can contain or do; but does not necessarily mandate that all options be provided like specific Categories. (For example, a tournament does not have to proved a .22 Only Aggregate or One or Two Hand Probationary Match, but if it is done, the rules are there to provided the guidance and requirements.)  The tournament will specify how the match will be operated in the program submitted for sanctioning.  However, in order for the match results to qualify for classification of shooters, there will need to be the specific matches outlined in the program that meet the criteria outlined in the rule book that qualify for classification scores.

CR

Last edited by CR10X on Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

CR10X

jjfitch and chopper like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Morgan Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:33 pm

You can't beat gravity or time. So make the most of what you have *now* so that you have fond memories later.

Joe Morgan

Back to top Go down

What can older shooters do, to hang onto their shooting ability, and maybe even improve Empty Aging sucks!

Post by jjfitch Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:10 am

I too am a Grand Senior or Super Senior in some other venues. My past experience drifted from B.E. in the early 80's to action pistol games and then as a LEO, PPC in the 90's and back to B.E in the 2000's along with action pistol club matches. As a certified instructor I'm also involved in advanced pistol training. 

Unfortunately I've retired from most pistol games due to physical limitations these days with arthritis in both hands and neck. 

In order to stay "in the game" I found that red dots help us stay in the black once our eye sight begin to have difficulty with focus. The aging process seems to affect our vision first. I've drifted from Expert to S/S and back and forth over the last 15 years. Now I'm struggling to maintain S/S! Smile

As mentioned above the important thing is to continue to shoot as much as possible and strive to improve within your own limitations. Be an inspiration to the younger shooters and help wherever possible to keep our sport alive and well. 

This year I'll be implementing the Winchester NRA Bullseye Challenge series at our clubs indoor range. This in the hope of rekindling the BE league that ceased due to COVID.

Yes the aging process sucks but striving to be an inspiration to others is the least we as older shooters can due to perpetuate or sport.

Smiles,
jjfitch
jjfitch

djperry2 and UnGe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:51 am

I'd vote for adding a new category of BE shooters- "Great Grand Seniors", those older than 75.
At 74, I focus more on having fun than on scores these days.
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Morgan Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:38 am

Currency wrote:Primers available at Royalreloadusa.com

Scam site.

Joe Morgan

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:55 pm

16 months from Grand Senior here.... Just keep on keeping on.  Never quit!   Like the guys who set the records.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:35 pm

Physical conditioning is a factor for people of all ages. I'm 38 and started doing Crossfit 2 years ago, I think getting in better shape may have helped get my MA card.. I'm still wanting to lose more weight to improve my endurance, might help me get a solid run at HM if I can get motivated. Matches can last 6hrs and in the summer heat walking back and forth if you're getting tired it will affect your score.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:39 am

You walk 1800 yards in an Outdoor 2700...

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

SonOfAGun likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 10's N X's Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:51 am

My first trip to Perry was of course memorable and exciting! When I stepped up to the line for the prelim the older gentleman next to me was having a hell of a time keeping his gun steady. My only thought, he is going cross fire all the targets! 

That older gentleman kicked my ass! I finally had to ask him how he was capable of such scores with his hold? His words "Son you need to think area of aim not point of aim" He further explained that most of the time his sights were hovering in the black and crossing the X ring, timing his hold to his trigger press was critical to maximizing his scores. 

I wish his name would have stuck with me. I think of those words often when I catch myself struggling to hold the dot on the X and begin my trigger press.....area of aim not point of aim!

10's N X's

Back to top Go down

Post by lee212 Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:43 am

Joe Morgan wrote:
Currency wrote:Primers available at Royalreloadusa.com

Scam site.
Thanks for the heads up. I was about falling victim

lee212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down