Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Affordable trigger hang weights?

+6
Merick
OldShooter43
Ed Hall
chiz1180
Jwhelan939
jmoser
10 posters

Go down

Affordable trigger hang weights? Empty Affordable trigger hang weights?

Post by jmoser Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:36 am

Was hoping to find 'hobbyist' grade hang weights that don't cost $$$ but coming up empty.

Before I start bending metal and collecting scrap is there anything out there?  Don't need certified NRA legal, just a quick and dirty hang weight setup for the usual 2, 2.5, 3.5 lb increments [or close enuf metric equiv.]

My spring scale usually gets within 1/4 lb anyway but its nice to have the weights.

jmoser

Back to top Go down

Affordable trigger hang weights? Empty Re: Affordable trigger hang weights?

Post by Jwhelan939 Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:42 am

Before buying an nra set up I used to use a peanut butter jar with a hanger and I would fill it with bullets. Worked just fine.

Jwhelan939

handcycle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:48 am

Jwhelan939 wrote:Before buying an nra set up I used to use a peanut butter jar with a hanger and I would fill it with bullets. Worked just fine.
I have used a similar set up, ~38 185jhp per pound.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:59 am

Perhaps:

A Do-It-Yourself Trigger Weight

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmoser Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:39 am

Yup - before we moved i had a very nice 90 deg bent rod from somewhere that was perfect size to hang stuff off.
Might be able to find it in my reloading drawer still - I have about 400 lbs of shotshell lead to use as ballast;  +/- one #9 pellet makes for good calibration . . .

jmoser

Back to top Go down

Post by jmoser Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:51 am

Pays to be organized I guess - and just realized a perfect use for all those spent primers .  .  .Affordable trigger hang weights? 973a7810

jmoser

OldShooter43 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:45 am

Sounds like two jars would do it nicely - one filled to 2 1/8 lbs and another filled to 4 1/4 lbs for CMP rule purposes (with a margin for error). Empty jars are cheap and so are spent primers.  Now all you need is an accurate scale for weighing those jars. Affordable trigger hang weights? 1f61f

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:35 pm

Coffee can/coat hanger with buckshot and spare change.  As accurate as the scale you use to assemble it.

I put a section of drinking straw over the trigger hook, if I can lift the weight and release the trigger by crushing the straw without hitting the wire within, I know I'm darn close.

Also just thumbing the hammer back will give a lighter reading than correctly racking the slide.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:51 pm

You guys going too complicated ))  Coat hanger, gallon jug, measuring cup, water. Gallon jug will always be your few oz "safety buffer".

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Affordable trigger hang weights? Empty remark a spring tester

Post by Russ OR Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:33 pm

If you have temporary access to official weights:
Get a $25± spring tester - pull it thru its' full range several times - put a strip of masking(?) tape along the slot over or opposite the orig markings - lift each official weight carefully- marking, w/ fine sharpy, each weight on the masking tape.  I've re-checked my marks with our official weights a couple times over the years-still good.
2¢ --Russ

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:18 am

I have made my weights, like the dead weight system better than spring weight but have it to for quick check. But I have a machine shop and good scale so making weights is not hard for me.
 I recommend making 1 ounce weights. Yeah the typical NRA weight set has 1/4 pound but it's used to determine legal pull! Trigger lifts required weight or it does not. No middle ground. But to the shooter that is meaningless other than you will not be disqualified or not allowed to shoot with the light trigger.
 After doing a trigger job I check the pull repeatably with 1oz weights. The trigger pull weight must be within +/- 1oz. I prefer to have it within 1oz. Then I can bend spring to get it to legal requirement, check repeatability again to be sure nothing changed.
 I have made a few dead weight trigger tester for friends by using plastic bottles Bullion Cubes are sold in, they are about the same diameter as NRA weights and about 2-1/2" long. Make a hook like shown but more like a square question mark so weight hangs directly below the trigger. Thread the end and put it in the center of the cap of the cube bottle. 2 nuts and 2 washers will hold the cap on the hook. Either add weight to the bottle or have a few bottles so preweighted lowers can be screwed on.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:55 pm

While the NRA weights are expensive, so is a trip to Perry. At least for me, I want to be sure the gun is going to make weight. 

Best, 
Arthur

Arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down