Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camp Atterbury 2021?

+22
SteveT
Rotwang
Lightfoot
jmdavis
BE Mike
javaduke
Joe Morgan
chiz1180
Robuc
john bickar
Al
Schaumannk
xman
Wobbley
Danehogle
-TT-
TonyH
Multiracer
straybrit
weber1b
james r chapman
Orpanaut
26 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Camp Atterbury 2021? - Page 3 Empty Camp Atterbury 2021?

Post by Orpanaut Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:31 am

First topic message reminder :

Is there anyone out there who can share some impressions from the NRA National Matches at Camp Atterbury?

I would love to go see for myself but I haven't been able to take the time off from work that would be required to shoot both Perry and Atterbury.  At best I might be able to go look around on Friday afternoon. 

Specifically, I'd like to know about:

1) Range conditions - What's it like to shoot a match there?  Is it the sort of place where you'd feel ready to shoot a personal best?

2) Lodging - What's the availability, cost, proximity?  If 600 shooters come next year, will there be places for them to sleep?

3) Food - What's available on base?  Off base?  

4) Recreation - Are there fun things to do after shooting, or for non-competing family members?

My expectation is that the NRA will just carry over the same modus operandi they've been using at Perry for years, so things should run fairly smoothly.  The catch, I imagine, is that they'll have to groom a new batch of local talent to fill out the lower ranks of the operation.

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Camp Atterbury 2021? - Page 3 Empty Re: Camp Atterbury 2021?

Post by Schaumannk Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:26 pm

I think the people on the line at the CMP ran an admirable match.  I believe most of them are volunteers.  

My main complaint is, I am clearly getting too old to handle the terrible weather.

I think those of you like Joe cheering for the demise of the NRA shooting programs and apparently the National matches because of their personal animosity towards LaPierre will end up doing damage primarily to themselves and competition shooters in general.  
I know a bit of the back story of why the NRA is no longer at Camp Perry and while it has certainly at times seemed like a race to the bottom, the CMP and the Ohio guard are as much or more at fault, in my opinion.  
Some things wrong at Atterbury are an easy fix.  Others like a firing line on the edge of cover are still better than Perry which still has nothing and only one line of targets.

Schaumannk

BE Mike and ak41 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:02 am

TonyH wrote:
I thought in "American" some vowels were expendable.....as in color (colour), humor (humour), flavor (flavour), neighbor (neighbour) etc.....so "inagural" seems just fine! lol!
And this is from a first generation immigrant that learned "English" in the old country as a first language!.....and I have the scars from the nuns teaching English to prove it!

Well, I was curious and I searched through a number of dictionaries trying to find any mention of "Inagural" spelling. Nope, not a single one. But English is not my first language, not even a second one, so what do I know... Maybe NRA is trying to make everything different about the national matches, not just the location, but the language too. I suppose they don't use this new "Make the range queer" command, do they?

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:14 am

In my experience, bullseye pistol shooters have their share of whiners and rumor mongers. I cannot comment on the facilities at Camp Atterbury because I am not competing. If there is a competitor's meeting at the NRA Nationals, hopefully some pistol competitors will bring up their concerns and they will be addressed before next year. I know that the governor and his wife are very supportive of the NRA and the matches being held in Indiana. Few people, especially shooters, like change. Camp Perry has a long history with the shooting sports, and I hope that it will continue. I also hope that the new nationals will thrive. With all of its problems and perceived problems, I hope the NRA will bounce back stronger than ever. Expansion of bullseye shooting is a good thing. A powerful voice for gun owners is a good thing.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:37 am

Latest report says 107 registered shooters at Atterbury 2021, but there have apparently been a number of late "walk-ins", so that total may increase slightly.

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:22 am

I wonder if the earlier 861 number included the rifle and other events also happening there this month...
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:28 am

I spoke with a small bore person last night. I had heard that the targets were off by 6-8 inches at 50 yards for small bore. It turns out that the measurement for the target line was taken from the front of the pad, which is also the low side of the cover. In order to keep everything dry in a rain where all of the water ran down in front of the shooters, they moved the firing line back 4 feet. That means that the 50 yard line was actually 51+ yards. 

For what its worth, I have folding steel targets and frames on my 50 yard target line that were built in the 1940's and are still in use.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:28 am

-TT- wrote:I wonder if the earlier 861 number included the rifle and other events also happening there this month...

I'm pretty sure that the 861 number was from Perry, not Atterbury.
jmdavis
jmdavis

james r chapman and orpheoet like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:58 am

jmdavis wrote:For what its worth, I have folding steel targets and frames on my 50 yard target line that were built in the 1940's and are still in use.

We have some shooters that were made in the 1940s that are still in use Laughing
john bickar
john bickar

Allen Barnett, MarkOue and lakemurrayman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:06 am

john bickar wrote:
jmdavis wrote:For what its worth, I have folding steel targets and frames on my 50 yard target line that were built in the 1940's and are still in use.

We have some shooters that were made in the 1940s that are still in use Laughing

That is also true. Some of them seem more steel than aluminum to me as well.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightfoot Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:09 am

So, am I really seeing the firing line is in front of the cover?
Lightfoot
Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:17 am

Lightfoot wrote:So, am I really seeing the firing line is in front of the cover?

Certainly looks it!

Camp Atterbury 2021? - Page 3 B4519e10

They wanted to maintain some of that Perry experience!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by xman Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:40 am

james r chapman wrote:
Lightfoot wrote:So, am I really seeing the firing line is in front of the cover?

Certainly looks it!

Camp Atterbury 2021? - Page 3 B4519e10

They wanted to maintain some of that Perry experience!
I'd rather shoot 51+ yds and stay in the shade and dry. Yes I know Perry is uncovered but you shoot as you have available there. If cover is available and you need to adjust the line to make use of it due to construction ERROR. Do it.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotwang Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:45 am

No, the firing line is a table width from the edge of the concrete and the end of the cover.

Rotwang

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:56 am

UCamp Atterbury 2021? - Page 3 Daa8bb10
A better pic

All pics from Sally Talbot
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by xman Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:33 am

james r chapman wrote:UCamp Atterbury 2021? - Page 3 Daa8bb10
A better pic

All pics from Sally Talbot
Man what a FUBAR!
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:24 pm

There is an expansion joint line in the concrete slab running along the line of the steel roof columns, about two bench widths back from the front edge. Several people mentioned today that it is planned to reconstruct the target lines so that they are exactly 25 and 50 yards from that expansion joint. Then the permanent benches would be well inside the shade line.

The target lines need a complete makeover. Having to climb up onto the wood walls to score and replace short line targets is not appropriate. Having to stretch to step over that protection wall and then stepping on the turning target tie bars, cables, etc., Is asking for damage to the equipment AND shooters legs!

The massive roof structure slopes towards the front edge of the slab. In a rain storm there will be a waterfall in front of shooters. There does not appear to be any gutter, downspouts and soakaways at present. That is also a major job.

Back to top Go down

Post by xman Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:47 pm

radjag wrote:There is an expansion joint line in the concrete slab running along the line of the steel roof columns, about two bench widths back from the front edge. Several people mentioned today that it is planned to reconstruct the target lines so that they are exactly 25 and 50 yards from that expansion joint. Then the permanent benches would be well inside the shade line.

The massive roof structure slopes towards the front edge of the slab. In a rain storm there will be a waterfall in front of shooters. There does not appear to be any gutter, downspouts and soakaways at present. That is also a major job.

If the permanent benches are installed at the linear expansion joint, then SBR will have problem. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Yeah I saw that there were no gutters or downspouts in the photos. Not a big issue IMHO. I shoot regularly at 2 ranges that have no gutters or downspouts, but the benches are well behind of the roof edge. This is in TX and rain storms are infrequent but heavy when they occur. In Indiana that may be a different story.

Now about the target line .... sheesh!

All told just a construction clusterf**k. who did the government hire? The 3 Stooges'?
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:48 pm

Larry, Moe and Wayne....
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:21 pm

There are some positives today. I was in the second relay for the Preliminary Matches. The sun shone, light or no wind, perfect. The targets mostly behaved and there were only a few interruptions. There were a couple of instances of slight mis-communication between SRO's and the tower (no walkie-talkies?), but they got resolved smoothly.

Overall, it was OK.

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:49 pm

Ok.
Why 3 relays?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danehogle Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:13 pm

From what I am told…..
https://www.patriotproductsllc.com/products/
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:41 pm

Are the military teams shooting at Atterbury?

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:29 pm

Some

Camp Atterbury 2021? - Page 3 48bd7310
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:28 pm

102 competitors listed in the results posted at the stat office, 92 for the 2700 and 10 for 22 only.

I have to say I really like the range and feel very comfortable shooting here. Yes there are issues, but I like the large concrete pad and large cover overhead. I like that the ready line is only about 15 feet behind the firing line, so everyone is closer together. I like the bleachers behind the line. I like the view. Perry and Atterbury are the only ranges I've shot that we aren't looking at a wall or a berm, and the view here is much nicer than Perry. 

The front edge of the firing point cover is directly over the front edge of the concrete. There was some dripping of dew off the roof on first relay. There was general agreement among the competitors that if it starts raining we are moving the tables back ourselves.

A friend paced off the distance and measured 25 yards from the edge of the concrete. I understand there is a plan to move the target lines closer. That will make the firing line a few feet behind the drip line, but it depends on coordination between the NRA and IN NG.

The match director, range staff and referees are working really hard to make the event a success. Of course it's not as organized as Camp Perry, but Camp Perry isn't always that organized even after 100 years to work out the bugs. There were some minor improvements today. They moved the target numbers down after the competitor suggestion so it is less of a trip hazard. 

I agree the wood walls in front of the targets should be covered or filled to the top to make standing on them easier. Shorter targets or a platform in front of the line would be even better. I am told the original plans for the turning targets were changed by someone after they were spec'ed to save money. The change was attributed to the IN NG, but it isn't certain. I was also told that the base commander when they started building the pistol range was very pro-gun and pro-NRA. The new base commander is less friendly so things have been more difficult.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Orpanaut likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:12 pm

What direction does the firing line face?
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next