Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loading for lead vs. jacketed bullets

5 posters

Go down

Loading for lead vs. jacketed bullets Empty Loading for lead vs. jacketed bullets

Post by hengehold 8/16/2021, 2:37 pm

I am new to pistol loading and have made a total of about 300 rds now, all lead Bullets. Now I need to load some jacketed ammo (no canalure) for an upcoming EIC match. I plan to swap the seating stem from a SWC stem to one that matches a JHP. 

What else do I need to change when going from lead to JHP? 

Am I going to have to adjust the crimp? If so, how do I know what the correct crimp amount is for a JHP without a canalure? I presume that I want to be careful to not deform the jacket.

-TH

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Loading for lead vs. jacketed bullets Empty Re: Loading for lead vs. jacketed bullets

Post by Al 8/16/2021, 2:47 pm

Some needed information would be:
Current load info. Powder, powder charge, current lead bullet used, current crimp, brass brand.

Depending on your current load, you may not need to change anything or possibly everything.
Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Loading for lead vs. jacketed bullets Empty Re: Loading for lead vs. jacketed bullets

Post by chiz1180 8/16/2021, 4:24 pm

My crimp for jacketed is less aggressive than for lead. Jacketed my crimp is about .470 (basically removing any case belling from expansion), and lead it is ~.463-.465. My powder charge is also different. 

I load on a Hornady, when I swap from lead to jacketed I swap my seating and crimp dies. Works for me, but you need duplicate dies for this method.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold 8/18/2021, 4:47 pm

chiz1180 wrote:My crimp for jacketed is less aggressive than for lead. Jacketed my crimp is about .470 (basically removing any case belling from expansion), and lead it is ~.463-.465. My powder charge is also different. 

I load on a Hornady, when I swap from lead to jacketed I swap my seating and crimp dies. Works for me, but you need duplicate dies for this method.

Having duplicate dies sounds like a great idea.

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold 8/18/2021, 4:55 pm

I loaded the first batch of 20 rds of jacketed Bullets for function test. I am changing lots of Federal brass and use a .470 crimp on the Brazo 180gr SWC coated bullets. I also use a PTU from PhotoScape (see link below). When I seat the jacketed Bullets I am having difficulty getting the case to grip the bullet regardless of how much crimp I apply. Even a .463 crimp still results in a bullet that can be turned within the case neck with two fingers. Are these PTUs only used for lead Bullets or are they supposed to be used with jacketed also?

https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/45htc-ptu-lnl-ap.html

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 8/18/2021, 4:57 pm

Used for lead.

You need neck tension on jacketed bullets. What were you using for an expander before you bought the new PTU?

I wouldn't risk shooting those that you have loaded if they are loose in the case.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 8/18/2021, 5:13 pm

hengehold wrote:I loaded the first batch of 20 rds of jacketed Bullets for function test. I am changing lots of Federal brass and use a .470 crimp on the Brazo 180gr SWC coated bullets. I also use a PTU from PhotoScape (see link below). When I seat the jacketed Bullets I am having difficulty getting the case to grip the bullet regardless of how much crimp I apply. Even a .463 crimp still results in a bullet that can be turned within the case neck with two fingers. Are these PTUs only used for lead Bullets or are they supposed to be used with jacketed also?

I'll chime in with my thoughts and suggestions.  45HTC PTU is specific to lead / coated bullets as it is hinted in the name of the product.  It expands case deeper and to bigger ID which is necessary for seating lead / coated bullets without shaving / scraping lead or coating.  It is worth noting that lead / coated bullets normally sized to 0.452", while jacketed are mostly 0.451".  So for jacketed bullets my recommendation would be to use regular PTU - Photo Escape - Powder Transfer Unit / Powder Funnel for Handgun Calibers fits Dillon Powder Measure for XL650, RL550, SDB and 1050 Presses (photoescapeinc.com)

Next in line is crimp.  With lead / coated being softer I recommend tighter crimp, and specifically 0.463" - 0.465", while for jacketed I use 0.469" - 0.472" (latter is pretty much no crimp at all, just taking bell of the case.) 

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold 8/18/2021, 6:03 pm

PhotoEscape wrote:
hengehold wrote:I loaded the first batch of 20 rds of jacketed Bullets for function test. I am changing lots of Federal brass and use a .470 crimp on the Brazo 180gr SWC coated bullets. I also use a PTU from PhotoScape (see link below). When I seat the jacketed Bullets I am having difficulty getting the case to grip the bullet regardless of how much crimp I apply. Even a .463 crimp still results in a bullet that can be turned within the case neck with two fingers. Are these PTUs only used for lead Bullets or are they supposed to be used with jacketed also?

I'll chime in with my thoughts and suggestions.  45HTC PTU is specific to lead / coated bullets as it is hinted in the name of the product.  It expands case deeper and to bigger ID which is necessary for seating lead / coated bullets without shaving / scraping lead or coating.  It is worth noting that lead / coated bullets normally sized to 0.452", while jacketed are mostly 0.451".  So for jacketed bullets my recommendation would be to use regular PTU - Photo Escape - Powder Transfer Unit / Powder Funnel for Handgun Calibers fits Dillon Powder Measure for XL650, RL550, SDB and 1050 Presses (photoescapeinc.com)

Next in line is crimp.  With lead / coated being softer I recommend tighter crimp, and specifically 0.463" - 0.465", while for jacketed I use 0.469" - 0.472" (latter is pretty much no crimp at all, just taking bell of the case.) 

AP
I think we have an accurate diagnosis of my problem now. Thanks for the background and details.
-Trevor

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down