Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STRONG BOX- REDO-REVERSE ENGINEER

+12
Beachrog
kodiakdjd
straybrit
Wobbley
Schaumannk
RoyDean
ssauer2004
James Hensler
CR10X
Joe_Lafrieda
james r chapman
askernie
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

STRONG BOX- REDO-REVERSE ENGINEER Empty STRONG BOX- REDO-REVERSE ENGINEER

Post by askernie 9/22/2021, 1:17 pm

Hey Everybody,

I posted this on the equipment forum but its so important that I'm going to post the link here in the general discussion.

If this is not allowed, I am sorry and request forgiveness from the moderators.

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t18143-strong-box-redo-reverse-engineer

Ernie the Eyeball

askernie

Back to top Go down

STRONG BOX- REDO-REVERSE ENGINEER Empty Re: STRONG BOX- REDO-REVERSE ENGINEER

Post by james r chapman 9/22/2021, 2:06 pm

askernie wrote:Hey Everybody,

I posted this on the equipment forum but its so important that I'm going to post the link here in the general discussion.

If this is not allowed, I am sorry and request forgiveness from the moderators.

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t18143-strong-box-redo-reverse-engineer

Ernie the Eyeball

Dammit! I thought it was a double post and deleted it!
Can you repost it here.
😞
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

STRONG BOX- REDO-REVERSE ENGINEER Empty SHOOTERS FROM MASSACHUSETTS THAT HAVE A STRONG PISTOL BOX

Post by askernie 9/22/2021, 6:21 pm

I recently posted a juicy message regarding a RE-DO of the original Strong Pistol box. 

But it was taken down by mistake and I’m too old to remember the whole post again. 

I you live in Massachusetts in the area of Lowell. 

Please contact me.

Ernie Fuentes
813-598-2902

askernie

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe_Lafrieda 9/22/2021, 6:22 pm

So, is this posted anywhere?

Joe_Lafrieda

Back to top Go down

Post by askernie 9/22/2021, 6:25 pm

The post was erased. I had explained everything I was doing. It was long. Do you live in Mass and have a Strong Box?

askernie

Back to top Go down

STRONG BOX- REDO-REVERSE ENGINEER Empty STRONG PISTOL BOX REDO REVERSE ENGINEER

Post by askernie 9/22/2021, 8:55 pm

Hey Everybody,

My name is Ernie Fuentes. Although I don't consider myself a "real" bullseye shooter I do follow the discipline and follow all you guys here on the forum.

I have noticed that Precision Pistol Box has retired and as we all know Strong box closed their business some time ago. I actually had the pleasure of speaking with the owner of Strong Box and gave hims some ideas for specific modification to his early box and he was so grateful that he actually sent me a complimentary gunbox with the new mods and allowed me to sell the new style box.

i went on to sell that box since I found the weight of the box too heavy for my airgun shooting and single .22 caliber pistol shooting.

Some of you may remember me from a project where I reproduced the old Pachmayr magazine holder for bullseye boxes. Here's a link to the discussion:

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t7341-magazine-holder-for-gunbox?highlight=gunbox
So, here's where we are at now. My friend/family member Joe Delgado is an engineer/owner of a metal fabrication facility and we have discussed doing a NEW Strong type box. 

The problem is that he needs to see a Strong Box. So I need the help of Massachusetts shooters who happen to live close to the HUDSON-LOWELL area that happen to have a Strong Box of any generation to go by his factory and allow him to take measurements of the box and see the construction.

If you are willing to help us with this PLEASE call me and let me know so I can put both of you together.

I appreciate this forum and all that help it stay alive.

Always at your service,

Ernesto " Ernie The Eyeball" Fuentes
813-598-2902
Targettalk Member
Bullseye L Member
Crosman Airgun Forum(closed), Senior member

askernie

Thin Man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 9/23/2021, 8:36 am

Ernie:

There were several variations of the Strong Box gun boxes and and 3 different sizes.  I would recommend finding the latest version of the 3 gun standard (not long) box this project.  I have a couple of the later versions, but am too far away to help. 

The longer 3 gun box was designed more for ISSF / Olympic style (longer guns) and the 5 gun box was just too big and heavy for most folks (especially me when I loaded it with everything and the kitchen sink...).

The latest version had the integral adjustable scope mount and the the box was drilled with 3 different heights for screwing in the drawer guides.  This allow the shooter some accommodations for the heights of different guns with scopes and various sizes of spotting scopes.  

Earlier versions had slots for the drawer guides (making it harder to adjust) and the scope mount could only be installed in a couple of positions.

Cecil

CR10X

dieselguy624 likes this post

Back to top Go down

STRONG BOX- REDO-REVERSE ENGINEER Empty THANKS CECIL! ALL THOSE IDEAS WERE MINE! (EXCEPT ONE) LOL

Post by askernie 9/23/2021, 10:20 am

Hey Cecil,

Thanks for responding to my post. Its funny you mentioned all of that because all those mods (except one)were my ideas. The longer box was for free pistol use, the tray height adjustment screw holes to allow for scoped pistols, and the adjustment holes in the tray to allow movement lateral movement of the tray fingers for longer barrel pistols. The integral scope mount was not my idea, cant take credit for that. The owner of Strong was so grateful he sent me a complimentary box with all the mods and an extra tray with the lateral finger adjustments.

My friend Joe just needs to see the construction of the box, the finish...etc, hes a mechanical engineer we can incorporate all those mods and others in the finished product.

Thanks Cecil for your attention to this post. I think its important for all bullseye shooters.

ernie the eyeball

askernie

dieselguy624 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 9/24/2021, 12:19 pm

I second the not to copy the 5 gun! It was called 2008 on their website. The one you want to copy was the 1608 3 gun.

The only box I could find to buy was a 2008 back when it was brand new and my shoulder confirmed it is very heavy
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by ssauer2004 9/24/2021, 1:50 pm

The 2-gun was the best one they ever made.

STRONG BOX- REDO-REVERSE ENGINEER 60c24910
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/24/2021, 2:05 pm

2 gun would be very popular for indoor shooters
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

8eightring and bob7398 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 9/24/2021, 8:42 pm

I like the look of the 2 gun strongbox - except for one important issue - why do so many of the different  boxes I see on the forum and the line have guns with muzzles pointing back towards the shooter - they should ALWAYS be kept pointing downrange IMHO!!!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/24/2021, 9:04 pm

RoyDean wrote:I like the look of the 2 gun strongbox - except for one important issue - why do so many of the different  boxes I see on the forum and the line have guns with muzzles pointing back towards the shooter - they should ALWAYS be kept pointing downrange IMHO!!!

Because it’s a left handers, right handed box!!!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 9/24/2021, 11:40 pm

Just a personal opinion, I think steel anything is way too heavy.  Would be a lot more impressed with one in aluminum.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 9/24/2021, 11:52 pm

Schaumannk wrote:Just a personal opinion, I think steel anything is way too heavy.  Would be a lot more impressed with one in aluminum.
Aluminum would be prone to denting.  

The lightest construction would be Glass filled nylon, blow molded then bonded together.  Probably the most durable too.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Slamfire likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 9/24/2021, 11:57 pm

Wobbley wrote:
Schaumannk wrote:Just a personal opinion, I think steel anything is way too heavy.  Would be a lot more impressed with one in aluminum.
Aluminum would be prone to denting.  

The lightest construction would be Glass filled nylon, blow molded then bonded together.  Probably the most durable too.
Haven’t had that problem with my aluminum Kalispel box.   However I agree, if that is the material that the Pelican boxes are made out of, that something like that would be a far better choice.   Integrated wheels would sell me as well.

Schaumannk

onlylead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 9/25/2021, 12:43 am

I spent quite a lot of time (and money) trying to create my "perfect" box and still have two, one of which has already gone through at least six iterations!

My converted "Pelican" box which can hold up to 6 guns and is suitable for travel by air has retractable handle and wheels, but they are only really of any use in a hotel or somewhere with a very smooth floor. At the majority of ranges I have visited, if more than 15 yards from car to line, you are better off using some kind of cart. Since I inevitably have other baggage that I need to move from car to hotel room each evening, I have found that the common and inexpensive Walmart folding 4 wheel cart is by far the most practical solution. For Perry (my first visit this year) and to some extent Canton, I bought the "Rolls Royce" Aluminum Geezer cart, but it was overkill to be honest and is no use in a hotel or similar environment.

Multi-gun "everything + the kitchen sink" boxes are all very well for the younger, stronger types, but I am going to go the other way. Keep most guns in the vehicle in simple waterproof Pelican type boxes. One compact, lighter, 2 gun box, preferably with the scope mount deployable without "opening" the box on the line and also equipped with a massive folding brass screen! Box contains 22 + wad gun, or possibly wad + back-up, or other two guns according to the task at hand that morning/day.

Catcher mounted on a 50cal plastic ammo box which contains ammo, oil, glasses, muffs, etc., for the task at hand. Good enough for most "normal" ranges. And I can carry the two boxes comfortably from the car to the line for local matches. But at Perry there are targets, waterproofs, plastic bags, chair, etc., etc., so some kind of cart is needed anyhow (except for some of the hardy military types shooting iron sight guns and minimalist approach). That is a whole other subject that is already covered on numerous other threads!

That is my current plan - yours may be different - we all are!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit 9/25/2021, 9:29 am

Actually Roy - given that I am also multiple decades removed from the hardy military types - I'd be tempted to go even further and have a one gun "active" box along the lines you state. At Perry (and many others) you're only shooting one gun a day anyway. For a 'local' match the car is usually a very short walk away so the 'extra guns' case is easy to get. 

One thing I would add - some sort of fold out weighted transparent cover - so I can put the gun down in the rain but the RO can still see that it's safe.

In fact - if anyone has plans for such a thing (or, better, intentions to produce such) I'd be very interesting in purchasing.

The issues I had in the past with the folding carts were due to the wheel sizes - the small wheels get bogged down when it's really wet. I had a large wheel fixed sided one which worked - but was a pain to transport. Now I use a converted rifle wheeled seat which works fairly well.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/25/2021, 9:38 am

STRONG BOX- REDO-REVERSE ENGINEER 8fded110STRONG BOX- REDO-REVERSE ENGINEER 29840710
STRONG BOX- REDO-REVERSE ENGINEER 48c0cd10

A little of everything!
Bungee cords may be required!
Benches are super low at Perry!
Mud tires are nice!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Slamfire likes this post

Back to top Go down

STRONG BOX- REDO-REVERSE ENGINEER Empty THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS

Post by askernie 9/26/2021, 7:43 pm

Thanks Everybody!

All these suggestions can be incorporated in the new series of boxes. But the bottom line is have to get a box in my friends hands. From there he can modify the computer design and build different designs accordingly.

AGAIN, I stress if you live in MASS, in the Lowell area or close to that please contact me.

Ernie Fuentes
813-598-2902

askernie

Back to top Go down

Post by ssauer2004 9/27/2021, 6:58 am

askernie wrote:Thanks Everybody!

All these suggestions can be incorporated in the new series of boxes. But the bottom line is have to get a box in my friends hands. From there he can modify the computer design and build different designs accordingly.

AGAIN, I stress if you live in MASS, in the Lowell area or close to that please contact me.

Ernie Fuentes
813-598-2902
I'm shooting in the Sharon 900 in late April.  I'll see if anyone there is interested.
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

Back to top Go down

Post by kodiakdjd 9/27/2021, 7:03 pm

Ernie,

I have the Strong Case 3 Gun box. the older one.  I added the collapsible scope part from them.

I shoot every Tuesday in Merrimack, NH on the Nashua, NH border.

Could your guy swing in to take measurements there?

I do not have a LTC permit for Mass, although I do work there.  So I would prefer not to go the border with box, ammo, empty brass, etc.

I  have several people in my league who are looking for boxes, especially the Strong Case ones.

Dan
603-490-0606

kodiakdjd

Back to top Go down

Post by kodiakdjd 9/27/2021, 7:07 pm

I bought this one in 2009:

Strong Case SCR-1608 Aluminum 3 Gun Pistol Box
Options:
Ship: Flat Rate

kodiakdjd

Back to top Go down

Post by Beachrog 10/1/2021, 5:56 am

I’m sure you need a lot more in way of measurements, but I did run across this information.  I would agree the 3 gun 1608 seemed to be the better option.

STRONG BOX- REDO-REVERSE ENGINEER Db0cd110

Beachrog

Back to top Go down

Post by shootz 10/10/2021, 3:44 pm

Never heard of Strong. Have 2 Pachy boxes though. A fellow club member used to make wood veneer boxes. double keys to keep ammo and pistols separate

shootz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next