Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Source for printed NRA/CMP rule books? Or self-serve option?

+6
xman
RodJ
DA/SA
CR10X
Jwhelan939
john bickar
10 posters

Go down

Source for printed NRA/CMP rule books? Or self-serve option? Empty Source for printed NRA/CMP rule books? Or self-serve option?

Post by john bickar Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:26 pm

I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on this topic this morning and didn't find a great solution. Anyone know where I can get printed NRA and/or CMP rule books as in days of old? It appears the NRA only offers PDF downloads (as of my investigation today). It's been a while since I've looked at CMP, but I seem to recall the same.

The old NRA printed rule books were great - compact, durable, indexed. I get that they're trying to reduce costs and inventory, but trying to find an applicable rule in a PDF is a substandard experience to the previous one, particularly on a smartfone. I'm 10x quicker and more accurate with a paper rule book.

Any ideas?
john bickar
john bickar

Jwhelan939 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Source for printed NRA/CMP rule books? Or self-serve option? Empty Re: Source for printed NRA/CMP rule books? Or self-serve option?

Post by Jwhelan939 Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:30 pm

Please keep us posted if you find a source! I looked a couple of years ago to no avail. A lot of people seemed to think they were available, but noone knew how to get one.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Source for printed NRA/CMP rule books? Or self-serve option? Empty Re: Source for printed NRA/CMP rule books? Or self-serve option?

Post by CR10X Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:09 pm

Please post and let me know as well!
CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:09 pm

I take .pdf manual files to Office Depot or similar and have them printed on drilled paper. Then just find a three ring binder or report folder of your choice to put it in.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:15 pm

CMP
https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/760

RodJ

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:16 pm

NRA download then upload here https://www.print-my-pdf.com/index.php

About $16 8x6 $20 8.5x11

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:18 pm

DA/SA wrote:I take .pdf manual files to Office Depot or similar and have them printed on drilled paper. Then just find a three ring binder or report folder of your choice to put it in.
Definitely an option, but the NRA PDFs are specifically designed to be printed as a compact "brochure", and even include chapter tabs that you can thumb through.

I'm sure that latter is a custom printing/cutting option, but I'd sure rather print 36 double-sided B&W pages and have them stapled and folded in the middle, as opposed to printing out 144 pages and carrying around an 8-1/2X11" 3-ring binder.

Source for printed NRA/CMP rule books? Or self-serve option? Screen10
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by xman Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:26 pm

I just wrote a letter to NRA Competitions about the rules book stuff citing that for example the Precision Pistol Rule book in PDF form is 76 pages, and that even putting pages back to back in plastic sleeves to reduce wear and tear inside a 3 ring binder is not really a great option.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:30 pm

https://www.printivity.com/booklets/spiral-bound-booklets

200 pages double sided, 10 copies wire bound, heavy gloss paper, round corners, matte cover. About $23 per copy.

Last edited by RodJ on Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add pages)

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:38 pm

RodJ wrote:https://www.printivity.com/booklets/spiral-bound-booklets

200 pages double sided, 10 copies wire bound, heavy gloss paper, round corners, matte cover. About $23 per copy.

$23??? Is the paper made out of endangered pandas?

They used to be $4 from the NRA. Of course, that price point clearly was subsidized by the NRA, but there's got to be a middle ground between $4 and $23, especially if you compete in multiple events and need multiple rule books.

ETA: Thank you, BTW. I appreciate the link. Not your fault that the NRA match fees that we pay no longer go to subsidize the tools that we use to actually run the matches.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:50 pm

Seems like I'm not the only person who hasn't been able to figure this out. I will ask around my work colleagues - this has to be common across other hobbies.

For context, I'm looking in my collection of rulebooks on my smrtfone and I have rulebooks for at least four different disciplines across two governing bodies, totaling more than 450 pages, plus additions, corrections, and errata. That doesn't even begin to include the ISSF and USA Shooting rules.

(ISSF used to have the best rulebook around: it was about the size of a pocket dictionary yet had a lifetime of information in it. The same could be said for my smrtfone, yet I use it to get in arguments with strangers and look at pictures of cats.)

Will let y'all know if I find anything out.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:06 pm

John,

Years ago I used to have a compiler/printer utility that I used to print out my address book onto pre-perforated Filo-Fax paper which I could then put in my little black book (before ubiquitous smartfones). It was a free download from Filo-fax or another paper supplier as I recall. That is several computers ago, so I no longer have the utility, but that might be an interesting avenue.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:27 pm

john bickar wrote:
RodJ wrote:https://www.printivity.com/booklets/spiral-bound-booklets

$23??? Is the paper made out of endangered pandas?

They used to be $4 from the NRA. Of course, that price point clearly was subsidized by the NRA, but there's got to be a middle ground between $4 and $23, especially if you compete in multiple events and need multiple rule books.

ETA: Thank you, BTW. I appreciate the link. Not your fault that the NRA match fees that we pay no longer go to subsidize the tools that we use to actually run the matches.

Actually that was with higher dollar paper for durability.  And the pulp was sourced from trees previously inhabited by ivory billed woodpeckers.  100 copies of 100 pages regular paper, $8.  

Now it’s another $3.25 if you want it printed with ink hand milked by Persian belly dancers from eastern pacific benthic cephalopods.

PS the CMP book is $9 and change. Presumably plus shipping.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by xman Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:40 pm

Just thinking off the top of my head. (very dangerous)

The NRA could license the printing and sales of rules books just like they license the printing and sales of targets? Could even use the same licensees. Kind of a win-win situation.

Even if the licensee does not have the right equipment .. printers outsource printing all the time. I know this from 40 years in the print biz.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:47 pm

Exactly, xman. Guessing that NRA would be okay with someone printing copies and distributing them for cost, given that the pdf is free, and presumably one can print a copy for personal use.  Have to look at the copyright notes.

Btw speaking of going down rabbit holes.  Apparently one can obtain FOSSIL octopus ink, like 90 million years old, and write and draw with it!!!

https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2016/05/an-octopus-painted-with-95-million-year-old-ink/

What an interesting Sunday this has turned out to be.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:04 pm

Food for thought:

There are open source programs (at least for linux) that can rearrange pdf pages.  The pages could be renumbered and set two to a page with double-sided printing.  Then the new pages could be assembled into a booklet 8.5x5.5 inches, in a manner similar to its old version.  The downsides include the staple binders would need to be done by the person printing and the edges wouldn't be aligned due to the folded paper sizes.

I might play with this idea if no other alternate surfaces.  If I do explore this, is there interest here in my providing a new version as an attachment with the pages re-ordered for local printing by forum members?  This version would only be of practical use as a printed booklet.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by xman Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:42 pm

Ed Hall wrote:Food for thought:
The downsides include the staple binders would need to be done by the person printing and the edges wouldn't be aligned due to the folded paper sizes.
Yes when you fold over multiple sheets you get what is called "creep" related to where the printing falls. More folded pages equals more creep. I have old rule books and creep is accounted for in all of them. The creep edge is trimmed to present a smooth edge for the fingers Very professionally produced. NRA publications staff and or vendor knew what they were doing for the "clean edge" look.

Today with digital reproduction abilities it might be easier to produce than using "big iron" and support operations of the past. You would not even know the difference between a book made today and one made 17 or more years ago.

Ah the good ole days.

Last edited by xman on Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:10 pm

John,

I have a 2020 CMP Pistol Rule book that I would be more than happy to send you. Though I am willing to bet that am update will be made for 2022.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by xman Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:33 pm

xman wrote:I just wrote a letter to NRA Competitions about the rules book stuff citing that for example the Precision Pistol Rule book in PDF form is 76 pages, and that even putting pages back to back in plastic sleeves to reduce wear and tear inside a 3 ring binder is not really a great option.
Email came back as undeliverable. It was on a rulebook page. Will call tomorrow. See if anyone answers the phone.

[url=Comphelp@nrahq.org]Comphelp@nrahq.org[/url]

xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:59 am

Run it thru google docs to make it searchable
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by xman Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:20 pm

james r chapman wrote:Run it thru google docs to make it searchable

Control F in a PDF file can be used to search also.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down