Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone got a Korth Mongoose?

+2
OldShooter43
zanemoseley
6 posters

Go down

Anyone got a Korth Mongoose? Empty Anyone got a Korth Mongoose?

Post by zanemoseley Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:13 pm

These are one of the newer Korth pistols which I think are made by Korth and Nighthawk has partnered to package and distribute them. NH likely also handles the warranty and any service or parts. Getting into "splurge" pricing for sure. Anyone got one?

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Anyone got a Korth Mongoose? Empty Re: Anyone got a Korth Mongoose?

Post by OldShooter43 Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:44 pm

I have two Korth revolvers.  One is a Nighthawk Mongoose with a 6" barrel and two cylinders for .357 and 9mm.  The other is a Korth Sport pistol in .22 cal. circa 1967.  Both are superb revolvers with excellent adjustable triggers.  If you're interested in using a Nighthawk .357/9mm for bullseye shooting, you may be somewhat disappointed in its accuracy using .38 SWC loads.  The Korths have barrels that are designed to handle 9mm bullets (.355/.356) and you'll be shooting .38 Special loads in a .357 Mag cylinder.  My S&W Model 586 is more accurate with .38 SWC bullets than the Korth.  However, I'm not competing in bullseye anymore and others may have a different experience.

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:19 pm

I will not talk about nearly buying one, which I still kind of regret not getting it. Found below video few weeks ago, I like the details that this guy goes into. Cannot speak to his accuracy testing, but methodology looks sound.  All I know is that even with unlimited funds it is hard to get top quality, top reliability, razor accuracy, smooth handling, comfortable pistol, that is still supported.  It seems that the full combination is an unseen unicorn.

https://youtu.be/OiRK9gSb6IM

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:27 pm

Kinda makes sense. So the 38 bullets get sized just just a bit and loses accuracy? Definitely would be dissapointed in mediocre accuracy with a revolver of this price level. Too bad the old Korth revolvers from their original factory command so damn much money.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:29 pm

This video is pretty much "old news".  The point is, he's comparing a .38 Special revolver built for bullseye competition to one built for different purposes.  I haven't tested it, but I'd guess that my S&W Model 14-3 will also prove to be more accurate than my Mongoose in a similar comparison. That said, the Korths are definitely built to a higher standard even though the Nighthawk versions aren't built like the older Korth revolvers were.

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:37 pm

Sorry, new to me )) I get the built for diffent purposes part, but as you step into high price guns you expect full package.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:43 pm

If you want "full package" you need to buy a custom purpose-built gun. Any "combo" is going to be a compromise with rare exceptions in the world of handguns. JMHO

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:12 pm

I have never shot a Korth, I don’t own a Korth, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn.  But, other than their legendary price, I’m not sure they have the reputation for performance to justify the price.  Compared to an OMM, Python or reworked Smith, I’m not sure the performance justifies the price differential.  Then came the true custom builds.  

In the days of revolver PPC shooting, there were custom revolvers smithed that shot outstandingly well.   Even then though, the 38 Special had difficulty at 50 yards.  The 38 could shoot a “clean” at 50 but not a 10X clean.  Not all the time.  The 38 cartridge for DR has a further handicap in that NONE of the 158 grain lead bullets shoots to “match standards” at 50.  One or two makes might shoot well enough to put them all in the 10 ring, but just barely.  

So other than buying a top end revolver at a top end price, it may not perform better than an off-the-shelf gun built 50 years ago.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:32 pm

When I see Jim Collins and Phillip Hemphill's K frame S&W based PPC guns hanging in the NRA Museum in Fairfax, VA, I have a hard time developing a desire for any Korth.   Anyone else here think those S&W revolvers aren't 50 yard X ring guns?

Axehandle

Allgoodhits likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:20 pm

In the realm of expensive revolvers as I understand the Manhurin may be a better choice than Korth. Freedom Arms delivers same in single six, but proudly made in the USA and not as adjustable.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:22 am

Sounds like at the moment Beretta is doing a crap job of importing Manurhin pistols, I emailed an old direct importer that now has to go through Beretta and they are like 50 guns behind. COVID probably didn't help but ain't sounding good at the moment.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:51 am

Axehandle wrote:When I see Jim Collins and Phillip Hemphill's K frame S&W based PPC guns hanging in the NRA Museum in Fairfax, VA, I have a hard time developing a desire for any Korth.   Anyone else here think those S&W revolvers aren't 50 yard X ring guns?

I know both of those guys. I actually have shot the Collin's gun that is in the museum. I first met Collin's in 1978. Stayed in touch with him until he died. Collins, Hemphill, Pride and now Vadayz are machines in PPC. Hemphill currently holds the record with a clean score 1500-119x as I recall. Collins had a 1500-126x. NRA changed the time limit for for 7 & 15 yds from 25 seconds to 20 seconds. That caused a clock reset, thus Collins record was dropped. They were all shooting all Xs at those distances, so it had no effect on the top tier shooters. Collins shot a 1499-137X in a match. In his era the PPC nationals would draw 900 -1,000 competitors. Now I think couple hundred if that. I recall a year at Jackson, they had all but awarded the Overall win to a guy, who had just shot a 599 NMC to complete his aggregate. Collins had not shot yet. They figured it didn't matter, he would have to shoot a 600 to beat the overall aggregate of the other guy, and a 600 had never been done at the Nationals. Hold my beer... Collins shot a 600! That's a hard holder.

There are a few gunsmiths still out there who can rebuild (rebarrel) revolvers to shoot extremely well. With revolvers, it is more than the rebarreling. The cylinder and how each charge hole align is a huge factor in squeezing out consistently tight groups using all chambers. I have three PPC revos done by three different people that are all, X ring 50 yd guns. Having said that it needs to be qualified, that the X ring on a B27 target is larger than the X ring on a B6/8 targets. If I recall correctly the B6/8 X ring is about 1.7". The X ring on a B27 about 1.9" x 2.9".
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down