Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small frame 45 revolver

+11
Jon Eulette
Bill Mccaughey
Dan Webb
BE Mike
NuJudge
WesG
Axehandle
LenV
Tim:H11
Allgoodhits
RoyDean
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Small frame 45 revolver - Page 3 Empty Small frame 45 revolver

Post by RoyDean Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Most of the 45 revolvers mentioned on this forum are N frames. My hands are medium, but shortish fingers, I Double Action sustained fire and find the N frame too big for me.

Are there any 45 revolvers built on a smaller frame?

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Small frame 45 revolver - Page 3 Empty Re: Small frame 45 revolver

Post by RoyDean Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:42 pm

Dan Webb, I certainly take your comments advisedly. You have obviously seen (and been injured by!!) more Tauri than I could ever do in several lifetimes.

Happens that I have owned two. A K38 clone that I bought in UK as an impecunious student in about 1979 or thereabouts. It shot OK with factory 38 wadcutter ammo and my reloads (produced with a Lyman 310 tool!). But I could not afford to put a lot of ammo through it anyhow. I was forced to sell it a couple of years later as by then I was permanently working overseas and had to get rid of all of my firearms in the UK.

More recently I bought a Raging Judge Magnum - just for a bit of fun and bragging rights - it was used but in very good condition. I doubt that between the original owner and I it had more than 50 rounds through it. Mostly 45LC, no stress on such a massive frame!

So, if I happen to come across a 6" 45ACP Tracker at a reasonable price I shall probably buy it. Then test it cautiously! My need for a 45ACP revolver is purely for a bit of fun anyhow - just so that I can test myself with an all revolver 2700. To buy a M69 and then spend all of the time and money getting it converted to 45ACP just makes no sense, nice idea, but not realistic.

Thanks to everyone for the VERY insightful responses - very interesting.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:20 am

RoyDean wrote:Dan Webb, I certainly take your comments advisedly. You have obviously seen (and been injured by!!) more Tauri than I could ever do in several lifetimes.

Happens that I have owned two. A K38 clone that I bought in UK as an impecunious student in about 1979 or thereabouts. It shot OK with factory 38 wadcutter ammo and my reloads (produced with a Lyman 310 tool!). But I could not afford to put a lot of ammo through it anyhow. I was forced to sell it a couple of years later as by then I was permanently working overseas and had to get rid of all of my firearms in the UK.

More recently I bought a Raging Judge Magnum - just for a bit of fun and bragging rights - it was used but in very good condition. I doubt that between the original owner and I it had more than 50 rounds through it. Mostly 45LC, no stress on such a massive frame!

So, if I happen to come across a 6" 45ACP Tracker at a reasonable price I shall probably buy it. Then test it cautiously! My need for a 45ACP revolver is purely for a bit of fun anyhow - just so that I can test myself with an all revolver 2700. To buy a M69 and then spend all of the time and money getting it converted to 45ACP just makes no sense, nice idea, but not realistic.

Thanks to everyone for the VERY insightful responses - very interesting.
Any manufacturer is capable of making a revolver which should have never left the factory. There have been a many a Colt, S&W, Ruger returned to factory for spitting. Some have better manufacturing tolerances than others, and some have better QC than others. If you want a safe and accurate pistol, all tolerances matter.

If you are in pursuit of buying a revolver with potential to be a target pistol, then buy a set of range rods. Brownell's offers them. With proper range rods, one can quickly determine whether or not the cylinder locks in true alignment with the bore, when the hammer is cocked AND a check when the trigger is pressed. Two separate checks. This test will not mean that the gun is accurate, it only provides a very good starting point whether or not that platform is a good one to start with. (If a Taurus doesn't line up, then it may be difficult to get a smith who likes S&W, Colts or Rugers to even mess with it. Obtaining parts and quality control of the metal used may be factors). When checking the cylinder/bore alignment, if each charge hole locks, aligned true to the bore, that is a huge starting advantage. Beyond that, the quality of barrel which can be replaced and trigger work and sights and you are on the way. 

On another note. Factory tolerances, especially with a revolver, are much looser tolerances than a good custom revolver smith would accept. Often revolvers may have a slightly bent yoke or frame causing misalignments. Cylinders with stretched notches for the bolt, worn or bent bolts, misaligned threads in frame, bad throat or crown and a cylinder with runout or excessive barrel/cylinder gap. All tolerances matter on a revolver. It is almost like trying to get 6 different guns to shoot to the same point of impact. You have 6 chambers. That can be another set of factors. 

Good luck in your quest, it can be done.

Martin
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3