Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting into Centerfire

+5
10sandxs
james r chapman
Froneck
Wobbley
cidbearit
9 posters

Go down

Getting into Centerfire Empty Getting into Centerfire

Post by cidbearit Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:33 am

I'm brand new to this forum and relatively new to Bullseye Pistol. I have a .22 that I'm pretty happy with for rimfire (SW Victory that I won brand new in a raffle and have made several mods to), and am now ready to get into something for centerfire. I shoot on a 50-foot indoor range. I would love to be able to stay south of $1000 with my purchase, but am willing to go up to around $1500 or so. I don't mind buying used as long as it's in relatively good condition. I do not reload, so would be shooting commercial ammo and hope to keep that cost as low as feasibly possible. We shoot matches once a week, and I try to practice at least once a week. At 59 years old, I now prefer something that works well with optics as opposed to iron sights.

I've looked at the CZ Shadow 2 and the CZ TSO (9mm) but am concerned those might be too much gun for Bullseye. A lot of the guys on our team shoot .32s, but since I don't reload, I'm concerned about the cost of ammo for them (and availability). I'm also intrigued by the SW Model 52, but again am concerned about the cost/availability of wadcutter ammo. You guys probably get this all the time from "newbies", but do you have any thoughts on what I might consider?

cidbearit

Back to top Go down

Getting into Centerfire Empty Re: Getting into Centerfire

Post by Wobbley Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:30 am

Hang around here for a few weeks, someone will be selling a decent 45 .  Most of them seem to be between 1200 and 1500, but occasionally you can get a tuned up Springfield Armory Range Officer for a bit less.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:12 am

If you intend to shoot bullseye you should start looking for reloading stuff now! You don't have to get the best. Might be able to find a Dillon Square Deal. Center fire ammo will cost you a small fortune if you use commercial stuff!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:54 am

The only affordable factory ammo will continue to be 9mm stuff.
Not the greatest choice.
As Froneck said, get ready to reload or find a Bud that will!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:27 am

Normally, I'd agree to start reloading, but with primers selling for $125/1000, your looking at $6/box just for primers, then another $5 for bullets and $1 for powder, the economics (while still better) aren't as good as they used to be. ROZE is still listing $17/box for good reman ammo. None in stock, but im sure they've got a list one could get on.  Might be better to get 1000 rds and try the game before jumping into reloading in the current political climate.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:29 am

Yes 9mm is cheaper but first centerfire gun should be a 45 and the 1911 .45ACP the best To compete in all the matches in a 2700 a 45 is required, it can be used in centerfire match too so you only need 2 guns the other being the .22.

Froneck

shanneba likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:32 am

Welcome to the forums.

If you only want 2 guns, get a 1911 45 with adjustable sights to use for both centerfire and 45.
There were a few new blue finished Colt Gold Cups Series 70 available about 3 months ago. MSRP is $1299 in Blue and there is a Gold Cup Lite in SS for $1199
I picked a blue one up for just over $1400 with tax, shipping and transfer fees back in October.

Springfield has a Loaded Target model in SS with adjustable sights for a MSRP of $1097.
1911 LOADED TARGET .45 ACP HANDGUN
Springfield makes a TRP 1911 45 with adjustable sights, but it has a MSRP about $1700.
1911 TRP™ OPERATOR® FULL RAIL .45 ACP

Right now commercial 45 ammo is about $10 a box more than 9mm.
Norma Ammo (DOT) com has 9mm at about $17 and 45 is about $27.
If you shoot at a range that requires lead bullets, 9mm is harder to find in a lead loaded round.

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Post by cidbearit Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:10 pm

I should have mentioned that our league only shoots rimfire and centerfire...we do not shoot the .45 stage. So I am not tied to needing a .45, although not opposed to it. My carry gun is a .45 so I'm comfortable with firing that caliber.

cidbearit

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:11 pm

45 cuts bigger holes... makes more points...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:24 pm

If you don't have use for the .45 then a sub caliber is a better selection. I don't know style shooting your league is shooting. If you do plan on getting into Bullseye and shooting matches and the league will allow any CF caliber then the 45 is the best choice. I might add the AMU considers the 1911 syle 9mm a better choice than any other 9mm. It's allowed in the CMP EIC matches. If your shooing on the Police L target in the league I also started in the same type league. I was above average shooter, wanting to get better I started shooting NRA Bullseye to improve my league score. In a short time I was the top gun. We shot a NMC type match, 300 perfect score all at 25 yards, 20 match season. My average score is 20 matches was 299.7 if my memory is correct. I do have the trophy so I can check it see if I'm right. I eventually moved on to NRA matches as I found the bigger L target all at 25 yards too easy. However it is something you might consider if you want to improve.

Last edited by Froneck on Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:25 pm

10sandxs wrote:45 cuts bigger holes... makes more points...

But, to play devil's advocate, 45 also requires 3.5+# vs only 2.5+# trigger for any other CF caliber. Since he says CF only and doesnt sound like he's shooting EICs.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:27 pm

As has been recommended dozens of times before on this forum, get a 1911 45, ideally a Springfield Armory Range Officer (that model has the adjustable target iron sights), but they are hard to find right now. Here is one on GunBroker for about $800:-

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/920018622

But since you intend to put a red dot on it anyhow, any of the current SA 1911's should work fine. They are available on GunBroker for about $500 new - what a bargain!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/920677533

Then send it to Dave Salyer (search forum for his contact info) and have him do a trigger job, tighten up the barrel and fit a rail for the red dot - typically less than $400 and Dave turns jobs around fast. Find a good used 1" Ultradot and you may even get it all done for less than $1k.

That set up is good enough to take you to Master classification if you do your job.

Maybe talk to Dave (or any competent Bullseye Gunsmith) first about the choice of SA gun - I am not certain that the cheaper ones with Novak style combat sights are built the same as the RO.

RoyDean

Fotomaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:32 pm

SingleActionAndrew wrote:

But, to play devil's advocate, 45 also requires 3.5+# vs only 2.5+# trigger for any other CF caliber. Since he says CF only and doesnt sound like he's shooting EICs.
1 lb of trigger only matters in your mind  Laughing

10sandxs

chiz1180 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:30 pm

No 45 does not require 3.5 or 4 pound trigger. NRA and CMP rules require those weight limits but if not shooting those matches trigger weight is as per what is required. Many like Police L matches have no weight limits!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:54 pm

10sandxs wrote:
SingleActionAndrew wrote:

1 lb of trigger only matters in your mind  Laughing

Unfortunately it's the same mind that's attempting to control the bang stick. Clearly I need to find a better one. On reflection - that's true for a number of reasons.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down