Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kimber match bushing correct removal

4 posters

Go down

Kimber match bushing correct removal Empty Kimber match bushing correct removal

Post by Cazmont Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:54 am

Just purchased a Kimber Stainless ll for a hardball target platform. Here in NorCal we are very limited in choices. Previous 1911’s have been Colts and frankly I'm pretty impressed with the Kimber. I'm installing a Kart exact fit and my question is; what is a good solution for enabling the proper breakdown removal of the match bushing?
I thought I would replace the one piece recoil guide rod however upon examination I find the Kimber rod is a very nice piece and my overall impression of the very nice pistol design indicates that that guide rod may make a larger impact on performance than I've come to believe with prior pistol experience.
Measuring another 2 piece guide rod (which I had replaced with a standard,) I find the Kimber is more stout with a larger and more articulated flange. 
By the way; I find the Swarz type grip safety activated firing pin block not to have any effect on trigger function.

“What wisdom is greater than kindness?” From a bumper sticker
Cazmont
Cazmont

Back to top Go down

Kimber match bushing correct removal Empty Re: Kimber match bushing correct removal

Post by zanemoseley Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:21 pm

I hate 2 piece guide rods. I would swap them for traditional 2 piece cap/rod, that's what most custom pistols come with unless you want extra weight. 

To get the bushing out:
-pull the slide stop
-remove the entire upper
-dump out the guide rod, spring and cap
- Pull the barrel forward so the engagement portion of the muzzle isn't on the bushing
-rotate your bushing with wrench
-then use the barrel as a slide hammer to work the bushing out, don't go crazy but light taps won't hurt the barrel.

zanemoseley

Cazmont likes this post

Back to top Go down

Kimber match bushing correct removal Empty Re: Kimber match bushing correct removal

Post by Cazmont Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:00 pm

Thanks for the response! Your solution is the first I tried. Oddly enough, there isn’t enough clearance to remove the factory rod after pulling the slide. It hangs up on the lower barrel lugs. It's stout!
I could relieve a clearance on the rod flange to clear the lugs but getting out the files is generally not plan A for me.
Cazmont
Cazmont

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:12 pm

That's the problem with a 2pc rod and the reason I despise them. You may be better off going on Youtube to see how this specific rod is removed.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:55 pm

Cazmont wrote:Thanks for the response! Your solution is the first I tried. Oddly enough, there isn’t enough clearance to remove the factory rod after pulling the slide. It hangs up on the lower barrel lugs. It's stout!
I could relieve a clearance on the rod flange to clear the lugs but getting out the files is generally not plan A for me.
You need to lock the RSR in the compressed position to get enough clearance to remove it. See if it has a small hole an inch or so back from the end. That’s for a thin wire
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Cazmont likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cazmont Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:06 pm

Jim, I’ll look into it. In the meantime congrats on the lefty N frame. Can’t say I've ever seen one before!
Cazmont
Cazmont

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:39 pm

Cazmont wrote:Jim, I’ll look into it. In the meantime congrats on the lefty N frame. Can’t say I've ever seen one before!
One of a kind!!!  lol!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

troystaten and Cazmont like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:04 am

This guy seems to have the same model
http://guntoters.com/blog/2020/08/08/kimber-stainless-ii-government-model-45-acp/
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Cazmont likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down