Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

National Match Bushing

+4
JKR
robert84010
Jon Eulette
Warhorse
8 posters

Go down

National Match Bushing Empty National Match Bushing

Post by Warhorse Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:10 pm

Is it possible to have a national match bushing fit to my Colt GCNM 1911's slide and barrel, without altering the grooves in the slide?

That way, if I so desired, I could put the original bushing back in to make it stock, as in original again.

Warhorse

Back to top Go down

National Match Bushing Empty Re: National Match Bushing

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Yes
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Warhorse Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:19 pm

What would be a fair price to have this done?

Warhorse

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:33 pm

"If you have to ask the price......" 

The reality is the price for the work is less than shipping to and from a gunsmith so find a qualified local gunsmith and just get it done. It should not be more than an hour or so of the shop labor rate plus the part. Either that or ship it off to someone and get a bunch of work done at one time, then the price for the shipping is absorbed easier.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:35 pm

If you provide the measurements, EGW will make you a bushing. Around forty bucks if I remember right.

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Warhorse Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:54 pm

Thanks guys.

Warhorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:42 pm

I did this myself to my GCNM after watching some videos.  Was easy and turned out well.  Syre helped the groups.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:38 am

JKR wrote:If you provide the measurements, EGW will make you a bushing. Around forty bucks if I remember right.
Good choice.  Reduced my RO9 groups significantly.  Closer to $30 including shipping in 2015.  They are very helpful.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:27 pm

I went a different route to the same path. I really like the Briley bushing. They come in drop in or oversized that need a tiny bit of fitting. I now have a selection of different sized inserts and can match a bushing to a barrel. That's important to me since a lot of my 1911's are dual or even 3 caliber.  NFI

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/459940/briley-oversized-spherical-barrel-bushing-with-580-ring-1911-government-stainless-steel
National Match Bushing 516180
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

National Match Bushing Empty Bushing question

Post by Dipnet Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:25 pm

I went with EGW after reading their bushing info about three times. I was lucky as I called near the end of the month when they mill their recent orders, so I got mine within a week (I went with the slanted bore cut and measured several times to make sure I had done it properly). I used 600x emery paper and a wooden dowel for fitting, which only took about an hour. I got the bushing for a Ed Brown Kobra Carry, which shot about 2-in groups with good hand loads at 25 yds (DISAPPOINTED), but it now shoots nearly one hole groups at same distance (using 160gr. Barnes TAC-XP MANN load) with the EGW bushing.

Yes, I realize that a defense oriented 1911 isn't supposed to be match accurate, but I firmly believe if you save your money for a pricey pistol, the whole thing should be hand fitted and accurate. I've been spoiled by my Rock River (the first production makers I know of to offer 1.5" 50-yd guarantee), but of course, custom pistol smiths have been making accurate 1911s for years. Makers that offer 15-yard test targets aren't providing clients any meaningful information about their products, IMHO.

Inaccurate guns are simply not interesting. dipnet
Dipnet
Dipnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Warhorse Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:59 pm

After talking it over with a gunsmith, I changed my plans for this gun.

It will be fitted with a Kart barrel, NM bushing, and the slide tightened and fit to the frame.

It just makes sense.

Warhorse

Back to top Go down

National Match Bushing Empty Bushing

Post by Dipnet Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Warhorse,
Good decisions. In the case I mentioned, the slide and frame fit were excellent. I just think EB dropped the ball a little with respect to barrel/bushing fitting. I'm nothing more than an amateur; anything advanced requires a gunsmith. There are many good ones on this site. Good luck, dipnet
Dipnet
Dipnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down