Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st Perry - Oddball advice.

+18
adminbot1911
CR10X
8eightring
-TT-
oxbowbob
elbthesurfer
gasixgunner
Merick
chiz1180
Ghillieman
john bickar
SteveT
RoyDean
javaduke
sklarcpa
james r chapman
straybrit
Simonpie
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

1st Perry - Oddball advice. - Page 2 Empty 1st Perry - Oddball advice.

Post by Simonpie Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:48 am

First topic message reminder :

OK.  So I've committed to going to Camp Perry this year.  I'm an expert who keeps bouncing against the master score but never stringing enough in a line to seal the deal.   I've seen the videos.  There's wind.  Maybe I shoot better in a muddy tornado?  There's 600 shooters so mess-ups happen.  I'm chillaxed with that.  Other than that, give me one piece of advice you wish you'd known.  Stay away from Madam Maybelles?  Don't rent a car from Shifty Bob's EZ rentals?  Anything.  Thanks! Any must-sees?  I'm from Oregon, so some local culture, from opera to combine-demolition-derby, would be educational.  If I must-see Maybelle's, well, let me know...Thanks, Simon.

Simonpie

Back to top Go down

1st Perry - Oddball advice. - Page 2 Empty Re: 1st Perry - Oddball advice.

Post by CR10X Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:18 am

Ok, from the description of the circumstances given by elbthesurfer, I would suggest the following.

Search Youtube for videos of shooting at the National Matches at Camp Perry.  Steve Huff has a couple that are really good.  Take a look at the line, the equipment and the general flow of the tournament, scoring, etc.  You will see how the firing points are set up, etc.  He will be called to the line and have a 3 minute prep period to set up equipment and get ready before shooting.  No sighters, dry firing only is allowed.  You need to have him prepared for this.  

Be prepared for rain, wind, sun, heat and cold.  Thunderstorms can be very windy and violent at times. Be prepared for range delays (especially from eagles and boats in the impact area - which can take a while.  That means a chair or stool, water and light snack). 

No coaching is allowed, you will not be allowed forward of the ready line.  He will be on his own.  Just make sure he tells his bench mates this is his first time.  Everything will be OK. 

If at all possible, buy, beg or borrow a gun box. It makes getting your stuff to the line and set up easier and quicker (see the 3 minutes above - they go by quickly).  You will need a good clipboard, 8X11 as the CMP uses large scorecards most of the time.  Targets and backers are provided.  Get a write in the rain pen and a 2 - 3 gallon zip lock bag for the clipboard, they are priceless during the downpours.  Also large trash bag to cover the gun box.

Carry plenty of ammo, don't make any changes in the gun or sights before the match.  Make sure 25 and 50 yard sight settings are marked but don't be afraid of making a couple of clicks if needed.  The light varies in directions throughout the day and he may be on relay 1, 2 or even 3 if they have them. 

Above all, make sure everything is ready a week or two before and get the range and train like he is at the match.  Set up equipment, 3 minute prep and shoot for score at 50 yards.  (And be sure to fire the guns after cleaning - including magazines -  before the match.)  Do not walk up to the line with a gun that's just been cleaned and put back together without testing.  (You never know when something will sneak up on you.)  

Please let me know if  you have any other questions.

CR

CR10X

Thin Man, nikonjockey and elbthesurfer like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:18 pm

All the advice above is good.  I'm going to take a slightly different tack.

Don't try a bunch of new stuff at nationals.  I used the same old fishing kit box my first time out and it served me well just like it did at regional matches.  New food is fine, actually recommended since you're traveling and should try new things, but I wouldn't get TOO wild with the seafood or spices.  Or booze.

Ultimately nationals is just another 300 or 400 point course, just in Ohio. If you start looking at Perry as “special” or “the big one” you run the risk of getting inside your own head. 

You WILL want to pay attention to the different shooting conditions, particularly what lighting may do to your point of aim.  If you're used to shooting covered, your 50 yard dope at Perry will probably be different.  Take any opportunity you have before a "real" match to confirm your point of aim at 50.  And 25 if you have time.
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

valbern67 and elbthesurfer like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robuc Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:28 am

Bring two shovels worth of dirt.   This is to level the ground where your shooting point is.   I haven’t stood on level ground yet!

Robuc

Back to top Go down

1st Perry - Oddball advice. - Page 2 Empty Ohio musts and Perry

Post by astroturf3040 Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:51 pm

Fried bologna sandwhich once

Perch dinner

Ice cream after your relay

Put inn bay is fun

A charter fishing trip

Indoor pellet range and shoot!

Pistol seems to have time for these side trips

Rifle not so much…

Enjoy!

astroturf3040

Back to top Go down

Post by astroturf3040 Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:58 pm

Oh Cardinal and Canton if they are on before are good lead ins well run and fun

Boxes blow over lids blow down, bungee and lid clamp

Brass hitting head, screen is good

astroturf3040

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:35 pm

Bumping bump. Thought it would be good to resurrect this thread with Perry a little over a month away! 

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:17 pm

North Coast Cigar. Lounge simple bar. The owner is a nice guy. If it's a day that they are closed, a little further down the "scenic route" is a nice park. Lots of shade and a nice breeze coming off the lake.  

Best, 
Arthur

Arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:16 am

Made it to the Que over the winter during an air pistol match. Decent barbecue, good beer list. Their pork fat potatoes were incredible.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2