Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Gunsmith Advice

+4
kc.crawford.7
chopper
only_8_ring
Nopro
8 posters

Go down

Need Gunsmith Advice  Empty Need Gunsmith Advice

Post by Nopro 2/17/2022, 8:48 pm

I'm having trouble with case extraction with my High Standard Supermatic with an LSP barrel. I thought the extractor was the problem but it checked out okay. Using a jewlers loupe I found a very tiny dent from the firing pin on the edge of the chamber. How do I get rid of the burr without damaging the barrel? What's the right way to fix this?

Nopro

Back to top Go down

Need Gunsmith Advice  Empty Re: Need Gunsmith Advice

Post by only_8_ring 2/17/2022, 9:25 pm

Hey Nopro,

First, determine whether this chamber dent is actually the problem. Take a dummy .22 round (you could also do this with a live round, but be very careful! Don't shoot it!) and drop it into the barrel held vertically. If it falls into place without getting hung up on anything, the small chamber burr is likely not your issue.

Another thing to check next time you're at the range: inspect some of your extracted brass (if you can get it to extract at all). A telltale sign that you have an issue is a scrape along the side of the casing on the same radial line as the primer hit - this means that area of your chamber is indeed the issue. 

Okay, so now you know if the issue is actually caused by your dent. How do you fix it?

I recommend getting a chamber swage tool. They can be had at Brownells for about $25 plus shipping. This sort of damage is pretty common with .22s and this is a common way to fix it. The tool goes in the chamber and you rotate it to smooth out the burr. Here's a video of someone using one.

only_8_ring

sayracin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 2/17/2022, 9:30 pm

Call High Standard of Montana 
 Bob 406-590-0351
I talk with him yesterday, he prefers a reamer.
Some prefer a tool to iron it in.
 I'm not a smith so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nopro 2/18/2022, 1:12 am

The chamber already failed the drop the cartridge in test. I can push it in but it won't drop in. The extractor holds a cartridge and survived the shake test. The T W Menck chamber swage tool is no longer made but there is a copy made by Tandemkross. It's $25 plus $6 shipping. I ordered it direct. It's out of stock at Brownells. Some people have recommended using a tapered punch but I don't want to risk a match barrel. If anyone has a better way to fix this let me know.

Nopro

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 2/18/2022, 7:00 am

If the iron doesn't solve the problem, use a 27 cal bore brush to clean the chamber only.  If the round drops in freely after you iron our the fp strike you should be good.  If not, the chamber is probably leaded up and needs to be cleaned.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

sayracin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 2/18/2022, 7:05 am

I use the tapered punch. I know where it centers up and it never touches anywhere but the chamber mouth. A reamer removes metal and can cause light strikes if the dent is big enough.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by Coupebuilder 2/18/2022, 11:11 am

Im interested in buying the chamber iron when you are done with it if you have no further use, like to have one for the tool box.
I had an issue with one barrel for a HS a while ago that came from a gun I purchased with broken firing pin (who continued to use it...) but it was a huge ding, and after much debate here, I finally sent it to one of the members who micro-laser welded it and its near impossible to tell what was done. Very reasonable price and quick turn around. Ill edit for members ID if he's ok with it or PM me. Excellent work and great guy to deal with.

Coupebuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nopro 2/18/2022, 4:05 pm

When cleaning the chamber with a 27 cal bore brush do you rotate it at slow speed with a drill or turn it by hand with vise grips or pliers? Is polishing the chamber with metal polish like Flitz a good idea? Do you cut the chamber brush to length with a bolt cutter or just wing it?

Nopro

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 2/18/2022, 4:22 pm

bend the brush over at a 30 degree angle the length of the 22 chamber. that limits its length going in
jglenn21
jglenn21

BE Mike and sayracin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfAGun 2/21/2022, 11:02 pm

Contact LSP. I have received fantastic customer service from them.

I purchased a used LSP barrel and when it arrived I found that it had a firing pin dimple. They said to send it over. They fixed the chamber and polished it. Works great now.

I dealt with Dave Teffner 

dave (at) lsp-vt.com
SonOfAGun
SonOfAGun

Back to top Go down

Post by Nopro 2/26/2022, 11:45 pm

First, thanks to everyone for your advice. I got the chamber swage tool from Tandemkross. It comes without a handle or instructions. The instructions are on YouTube.I attached it to a socket screwdriver, oiled it and the barrel and started turning. You can feel the burr when you do it. I kept turning till it felt smooth. It took a little while but before you know it the burr is gone. The tool works as advertised. I then cleaned the chamber with the 27 cal bore brush. I cleaned the barrel and finished with some dry patches. Cartridges now drop in and extract easily. Thanks everybody, another barrel has been saved!

Nopro

Back to top Go down

Post by Nopro 2/26/2022, 11:49 pm

Shout out to Tandemkross for keeping this tool in production (good company, fast shipping and good communication).

Nopro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down