Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glock Match at Camp Perry - which Glock?

+5
Orpanaut
Sa-tevp
chiz1180
john bickar
RoyDean
9 posters

Go down

Glock Match at Camp Perry - which Glock? Empty Glock Match at Camp Perry - which Glock?

Post by RoyDean 3/6/2022, 12:29 pm

I have never owned or even fired a Glock - never seemed to be my "cup of tea". But there is a Glock Match at Perry every year and I wonder if it is worth having a go. I did a bit of looking on GB, etc., and find that there are Glocks chambered for 45ACP - that would make my life easier as I do not currently bother with 9mm. I see from the CMP website that there are 3 classes - Stock, Unlimited and 22 - but I do not see any mention of permitted calibers for Stock and Unlimited - although the "borrow guns" are 9mm.

So, my questions:-
1. Are 45ACP Glocks permitted?
2. Are 45ACP Glocks any good?
3. Do any of the stock Glocks come with adjustable rear sights?
4. I assume that the longer barrel models are best - which model is optimum?
5. What aftermarket "tweaking" is recommended?

I assume that there are some "non-purists" here who are familiar with Glocks - any help or advice much appreciated.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Glock Match at Camp Perry - which Glock? Empty Re: Glock Match at Camp Perry - which Glock?

Post by john bickar 3/6/2022, 12:57 pm

Recommended modification:

Glock Match at Camp Perry - which Glock? Axrw71p9ojq61
john bickar
john bickar

inthebeech, troystaten, straybrit, mpolans, Foundryratjim, sayracin and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Glock Match at Camp Perry - which Glock? Empty Re: Glock Match at Camp Perry - which Glock?

Post by chiz1180 3/6/2022, 1:04 pm

john bickar wrote:Recommended modification:

Glock Match at Camp Perry - which Glock? Axrw71p9ojq61
It has been a hot minute since I have shot a glock match, but I thing that modification puts you in a different class. Not sure why it isn't offered as a factory option though
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 3/6/2022, 1:10 pm

I don't own a Glock, but the few Glock matches I have shot, I shot a 21 or a 17L. The 21 is 45acp and the 17L is 9mm. I liked the 21 for the match. Some people really get into these matches and could probably offer better advice, however I have seen the course of fire cleared with just about any Glock, so pick one that seems to suit you and shoot.
chiz1180
chiz1180

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 3/6/2022, 1:44 pm

Ah yes, JB, I guess that in the Silicon Valley 'hood that is the preferred option. But is it on the CA list?

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 3/6/2022, 1:50 pm

A local indoor range that I have a membership at often had vendors come in and display their products, so I had lots of Gucci Glocks handed to me to examine. For a long time I didn't like the grips or triggers of the stock pistols, and the Gucci Glocks had less bad triggers. Later on I bought a G19 Gen 5 and like it a lot. Holding the 8 ring at 25 yards doesn't take a lot of effort. The trigger is like the customized Glocks and the pistol incorporates the reliability improvements from the M17/M18 Army pistol evaluations.

https://thecmp.org/glock-sport-shooting-foundation-set-to-host-national-challenge-in-july/
The match is designed to accommodate seasoned competitors as well as those new to competition shooting, with five different 10-shot series from 5, 7, 10, 15 and 25 yards. All shots on target are scored, and no penalties will be given for missed or unfired shots. 

(10 shots in 15 seconds.)

Glock Match at Camp Perry - which Glock? Nra-d1-dimensions_and_sources-jpg
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut 3/12/2022, 6:07 pm

Any Glock pistol can be shot in the GSSF match at Camp Perry, so that includes the 45 ACP models (21, 30, 36, 41).  

The 45 ACP Glocks are good pistols but have a reputation for not feeding well with SWC bullets.  Also, the double stack models (21, 30, 41) have wide, boxy grips that some shooters find uncomfortably large. 

Glock's factory adjustable sights aren't good so you'll want new sights regardless.  You can use any sort of iron sights in all three classes.

The best model for the Camp Perry match if you're set on using a .45 is probably the Glock 41.

Orpanaut

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 3/12/2022, 6:26 pm

Thanks Orpanaut.

After some advice from AP, I ordered a 41. Not in my hands yet. Will fiddle with sights, loads, etc., in due course.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 3/12/2022, 9:33 pm

Champion makes an excellent rear sight, Dawson Precision was my choice for the front.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 3/13/2022, 8:30 am

For the Spray n Pray match?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 3/13/2022, 10:04 am

STEVE SAMELAK wrote:Champion makes an excellent rear sight, Dawson Precision was my choice for the front.
Steve,
Can you please identify Champion sights with link?  Are they from Shooter's Box or else?

I use Heinie's front blade on M41, and like it a lot.

Thanks,
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 3/13/2022, 5:00 pm

I bought mine thru the Kensight page.
He makes a adjustable sight as good as the Bomar sights & makes them flush wjith the back of the slide.
I have a Bomar sight from Bomar that hangs off the back 1/4" which makes for some bad snags.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Tjones 5/18/2022, 12:27 am

Big Glock fan. I shot my G41 with mos red dot and G34 (9mm) at past GSSF Camp Perry matches. I'm a big guy and I like the large frame models. I put trijicon night sights on my Glocks and have been very pleased with Vortex red dot sights. My eyesight is not what it used to be, so I use red dot sights almost exclusively these days.

Tjones

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 5/18/2022, 10:59 am

If any of you are in the Phoenix AZ area I highly recommend Glock Meister. 15225 N Cave Creek Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85032.

Very good service, good knowledge and very reasonable prices. Had them put in a softer spring and guide so that I could shoot Bullseye loads in the 41 and they fitted one of those pre-cut skate board tape kits beautifully.

Not going to mess with the sights - the OEM sights on the 41 are OK. I want to do minimum changes and just go shoot it in the Glock match, then put it away till next year!

RoyDean

Arthur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down