Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED!

+9
mikemyers
troystaten
john bickar
GME
DA/SA
mdlmaker
Wobbley
Tripscape
mspingeld
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! Empty Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED!

Post by mspingeld Wed Mar 23 2022, 17:09

Time to start shopping. Grips, dot, dot mount, dies, bullets, brass...

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! 1010 Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! 2010 Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! 3010

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! Empty Re: Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED!

Post by mspingeld Wed Mar 23 2022, 17:10

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! 3310 Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! 3610 Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! 3810

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! Empty Re: Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED!

Post by mspingeld Wed Mar 23 2022, 17:10

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! 4010 Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! 5010 Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! 6010

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Wed Mar 23 2022, 17:11

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! 7010Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! 8010 Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! 9010

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Wed Mar 23 2022, 17:12

Can anyone tell how old it is? Serial # A488285.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Wed Mar 23 2022, 17:48

VERY : ))

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Congrats!!!

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed Mar 23 2022, 17:51

A series were about 1972-1980.  My chart says 1978-1979.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed Mar 23 2022, 17:53

As for optics mounts.  I put a reflex on mine.  No change in load or spring. EGW mount, Burris Fast Fire3Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! Fc622e10
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Wed Mar 23 2022, 18:43

Thanks for the tips Wobbley. I've been reading a lot of your posts about loading. A new adventure.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Wed Mar 23 2022, 19:14

Directions say, to field strip: safety off, slide back to notch, pop out slide lock, remove slide. Didn't work. Slide lock wouldn't budge. Took the bushing off, removed the guide rod & spring, then the slide lock came out and the rest was easy. I would prefer method 1 as I know the bushing tool is going to mess the finish. Suggestions?

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mdlmaker Wed Mar 23 2022, 20:00

The slide notch on a 52 isn’t easily visible like on a 1911.

Look at the slide panel that has “Smith & Wesson” on it.
Now move the slide back until the slide stop points to the “n” in 
Springfield, Mass. The slide stop should come out towards you if you apply 
pressure from the backside.

mdlmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Wed Mar 23 2022, 20:36

The protrusion in the slide lock hole is the stud on the end of the guide rod. It looks like the notch on the slide lock engages that stud so there's no way to remove the slide lock without first removing the bushing and letting the guide rod go forward 1/8" or more. Can anyone confirm? Or Am I missing something?

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! 110
Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! 210

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Wed Mar 23 2022, 20:50

More info: I reassembled the slide first, barrel, bushing, guide rod and spring. The angle on the end of the slide lock was able to push the stud forward and allow full reassembly. That seems to indicate that I should be able to remove it the same way but, either the angle of the notch is too steep or I can't generate enough force with my finger.

Anybody else experience something like this?

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Wed Mar 23 2022, 21:47

On mine, I remove the slide lock pin first, remove the slide, remove the guide rod and spring, and then remove the bushing. That way the spring tension is not on the bushing when you unscrew it. and you don't need a wrench.

Assembly is the reverse.
DA/SA
DA/SA

orpheoet likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Wed Mar 23 2022, 21:56

@DA/SA That's what I want to do but I'm having trouble getting the slide lock out.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GME Wed Mar 23 2022, 22:30

I still have my bushing wrench (and everything else that came with it new).  I've never needed to use it.  I never tried to take the slide lock out before removing the bushing.  Removing the bushing is not a big deal, even with my arthritic fingers.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Thu Mar 24 2022, 07:21

Ok, got it! A little awkward but maybe it'll ease in time. Pull the slide back to the notch. Hold both the gun and the slide back with right hand. Pull guide rod forward 1/4" with left hand, push slide lock out with right pinky (while using rest of hand to hold the slide).

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu Mar 24 2022, 11:54

mspingeld wrote:Ok, got it! A little awkward but maybe it'll ease in time. Pull the slide back to the notch. Hold both the gun and the slide back with right hand. Pull guide rod forward 1/4" with left hand, push slide lock out with right pinky (while using rest of hand to hold the slide).

Next, with your third hand, grab the tools that you dropped in the previous steps.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Fri Mar 25 2022, 01:22

I am green with envy that is a really nice pistol.  Be sure to check out the S&W forum there is a lot of info about 52's on it including posts by a guy who assembled them at the factory.  Also through the bushing wrench away.  You can use a flattened 12 point socket to loosen the bushing if it is two tight. Let us know how it shoots.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sun Mar 27 2022, 15:57

Not sure if this is helpful - I have two Model 52's, one that was put away in a gun safe back when dinosaurs were walking aground, and another that had a problem - which eventually turned out to be the magazine disconnect parts under the rear sight.

My "like new" gun is "stiff", and "gummy", probably because the oil inside it was from back in the Jurassic era.  My other gun, that lots of people tried to fix, with no success, is completely free.  The fellow in the S&W forum who used to assemble them is "donq52" as I recall.

Anyway, once we got the non-working gun to function properly, that has become my main gun.  I put a Vortex Venom rear sight on it, and you'd think it could have come this way from the factory!!

I might sell the un-used gun, as it is the closest to being a "collectors item".

Firing the gun that's been worked on is like firing a 1911; everything is smooth, and free.
The other gun feels like it's packed with the original grease.

The point of writing this, is that if your gun had been sitting around as long as mine, the grease might have thickened.  I've never had the trigger components out in either gun - that was the last thing on my list from Don, but we tracked it down to the magazine disconnect.

(On my gun with the red dot sight, I took that plunger and spring out completely.  Why would I need or want a magazine disconnect on a Bullseye gun?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Sun Mar 27 2022, 16:20

Not "gummy", dry as a bone. I field stripped it and oiled it. Just waiting for the last few bits needed to start loading ammo for it. Starting with 2.7 Bullseye, Zero HBWC, Starline brass, seat flush, roll crimp. I'll also load some 2.8. Assuming both function well, I'll bench rest and see if there's a difference in group size. If so, obviously I'll go with the better group. If not, I'll stick with 2.7 which so many say is the "go to" load. Open to other suggestions.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sun Mar 27 2022, 17:09

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! A361de10
Since 452AA is unobtanium, you can sub WST, (sorta).  2.9 Red Dot is absolute max.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Sun Mar 27 2022, 18:01

Starline brass might give you an issue.  Suggest reviewing recent thread - https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t19125-reloading-148-hbwc

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Sun Mar 27 2022, 19:45

I have read that thread but:

1. Starline was the only brass I could find.
2. Your post said the minimum plug depth was .625" and the maximum wall thickness was .009". The chart further down shows Starline as .632" and .0098", OK on the depth and only 8 thousandths too thick!
3. Starline was the only brass I could find.

For the time being, I'm only planning to shoot at 25 yards so, hopefully the results will be satisfactory. Now, if you want to give up 1000 of those Winchester cases you found, we've got a whole new story Laughing . Otherwise...Starline was the only brass I could find!

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Sun Mar 27 2022, 20:03

I do not have any Winchester.  I found old loaded Federal ammo.  I have not shot any of it yet.  Otherwise I'd be happy to share some of the brass.  However I have some old mixed brass that came to me from retired BE shooter.  Not many, maybe couple hundred of cases.  I don't plan on using it.

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! Federa10
Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! Federa11

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next