Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED!

+9
mikemyers
troystaten
john bickar
GME
DA/SA
mdlmaker
Wobbley
Tripscape
mspingeld
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! - Page 2 Empty Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED!

Post by mspingeld Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Time to start shopping. Grips, dot, dot mount, dies, bullets, brass...

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! - Page 2 1010 Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! - Page 2 2010 Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! - Page 2 3010

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! - Page 2 Empty Re: Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED!

Post by Foundryratjim Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:26 pm

mspingeld wrote:I have read that thread but:

1. Starline was the only brass I could find.
2. Your post said the minimum plug depth was .625" and the maximum wall thickness was .009". The chart further down shows Starline as .632" and .0098", OK on the depth and only 8 thousandths too thick!
3. Starline was the only brass I could find.

For the time being, I'm only planning to shoot at 25 yards so, hopefully the results will be satisfactory. Now, if you want to give up 1000 of those Winchester cases you found, we've got a whole new story Laughing . Otherwise...Starline was the only brass I could find!
I am curious to see how the star line brass works. I too am loading the zero bullet. My bullets measure .617 in length.

Foundryratjim

Back to top Go down

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! - Page 2 Empty Re: Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED!

Post by Tim:H11 Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:48 pm

The mount I went with.. 

Mod, S&W-52-RR from BME 

Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! - Page 2 0b44e710
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:16 pm

Foundryratjim wrote:

2. Your post said the minimum plug depth was .625" and the maximum wall thickness was .009". The chart further down shows Starline as .632" and .0098", OK on the depth and only 8 thousandths too thick!

For the time being, I'm only planning to shoot at 25 yards so, hopefully the results will be satisfactory. Now, if you want to give up 1000 of those Winchester cases you found, we've got a whole new story Laughing . Otherwise...Starline was the only brass I could find!
I am curious to see how the star line brass works. I too am loading the zero bullet. My bullets measure .617 in length.
Zero loads 148hbwc in starline brass. Definitely will work well enough for at least starting point.  I have seen several 95-97 longline scores with the zero factory loaded hbwc in starline brass.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Foundryratjim likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:33 pm

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with Starline brass.  The measurements in my chart are from new production purchased in 2019.  It’s as good as any. And .0098 was the average of 5 cases.  There were 5 cases measured 4 were .010 one at .009.  For my chart 5 cases of each make and type were measured.   As for the criteria espoused by others, all I can say is good luck searching for unicorns.  Sure you might find some old ammunition, but make sure it’s original factory loading.  Fired brass of that same vintage has likely been fired many times with all of those problems.  We live in 2022 and today I’d buy Federal, Blazer, Starline and Winchester “Standard” 38 special brass, go on with life and not search for unicorns.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:43 am

Did I mention Starline was the only brass I could find?  Just obtained a unicorn. Smith & Wesson Model 52-2, New-in-box, NEVER FIRED! - Page 2 1f61c  I'll report back if there's a bulge or not and 25 bench rested accuracy.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2