Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing wax lube ?

4 posters

Go down

Removing wax lube ? Empty Removing wax lube ?

Post by DGW 3/28/2022, 8:09 pm

I'm shooting Eley that has a heavy wax lube. The stuff shoots well in my gun but I start getting miss fires about the fourth target. The wax seems to build up on the barrel face. Ive used a brush to clean it after every target or wipe the shells off before the match, this stops the miss fires. Im looking for some easy way to remove the wax, a spray cleaner maybe ?

DGW

Back to top Go down

Removing wax lube ? Empty Re: Removing wax lube ?

Post by SonOfAGun 3/29/2022, 10:27 am

I purchased a case of CCI SV prior to pandemic, and it was very heavily waxed. So much wax that the chamber would get gummed up and cause failures to feed, and failures to fully chamber. Especially in colder temps.

Others reported success sending their over-waxed stock back to CCI for warranty replacement, but I was worried about getting through their return process in a timely manner. So I kept the case and now I prep for each match by de-waxing each round, and I believe that this has solved the problem for me.

A spritz of CLP on a cotton rag, and a quick wipe of each bullet removes excess wax, and leaves a little residual lube on the cartridge. I also clean the chamber after each match (bent 25 cal brass brush). This strategy has reduced my alibis to an occasional failure to fire. In those rare instances (1 or 2 per brick?) the round shows strong firing pin impact, and often will fire if I run it through the gun again. I attribute those failures to inconsistencies of manufacturing and QC.
SonOfAGun
SonOfAGun

DGW likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DGW 3/29/2022, 2:34 pm

Problem solved. I emptied the hole lot in a bucket and poured in a gallon of mineral spirits. Let them soak. drained and blotted on a towel. Nice clean and slick.

DGW

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 3/29/2022, 2:44 pm

I'm not certain about how tight the seal is between the bullet & case.
You may want to wait a while before you try a test run.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor 3/29/2022, 3:20 pm

OP, if you would, please report back later on results of this experiment and any missfires that may result.  We've all heard the tales of WD40 sprayed on guns and its ability to kill primers - maybe solvent can do that too?  Inquiring minds want to know!

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by DGW 3/29/2022, 10:05 pm

Shot my bullseye league tonight. The gun functioned perfect. no miss fires.  Shot a 525 not my best not my worst. If remember correctly WD40 is a penetrating type oil. I used odorless mineral spirits from Home Depot. Soaked  for maybe 5-10 minutes, a little swizel stick action. Very satisfied.

DGW

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down