Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

removing shades from Aimpoint

3 posters

Go down

removing shades from Aimpoint Empty removing shades from Aimpoint

Post by valbern67 8/21/2019, 12:09 pm

Hello All,

My Aimpoint H-1 died and I will have to send it in for repair. Now I have to take the shades off - I was able to remove the rear tube because I was able to snugly press it on in the first place. The front shade, however was loose, so I had to put on Blue Loctite. I can't get it off now. I tried using a hair dryer until it was too hot to even pick up - no good. I repeated this 3 times.

I don't want to ruin my Shue shades or my dot.

V
valbern67
valbern67

Back to top Go down

removing shades from Aimpoint Empty Re: removing shades from Aimpoint

Post by messenger 8/21/2019, 12:33 pm

Get a wooden dowel preferably slightly larger than the inside of the shade. Shave it down to where it will slide into the shade snugly. Leave your dot mounted to the gun so you have something to hold onto. Now just move the dowel up and down and side to side and it will come free. If your dowel is slightly smaller than the shade you can build it up with masking or painters tape. If you have to build it up too much it will feel spongy and make the removal tough.

Bill
messenger
messenger

valbern67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 8/29/2020, 5:53 pm

Sounds brilliant - hardware shops also sell corks in a gazillion different sizes.  They might have one just the right size.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/31/2020, 9:01 pm

Mike,

I doubt that a cork will be robust enough and it needs to be quite a bit longer than the shade in order to give you some leverage. About 4 to 6 inches is probably enough. Buy a short length of dowel that is a bit larger and reduce it in diameter as described by Bill Messenger.

A lathe is ideal, but a strip of coarse sandpaper will do the job too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down