Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S&W repair service

+5
Wobbley
BE Mike
Coupebuilder
brdrgrd
jim1K
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

S&W repair service Empty S&W repair service

Post by jim1K Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:16 am

I got a new S&W model 41 and it had a bad barreled key holed 8 shots at 25 yds and it never cycled once. I call them and they sent me the shipping label on Jan. 3rd. and it arrived there the 6th and here it is Apl. 6th  and it's still there and it has been in the PC. shop and now it went back to the repair shop but I fall to the end of the line again with a 3 to 4 week wait again.  Really hate to bash a company but I feel somewhat justified in this case. This is crazy, a different story each time I called..... Jim

jim1K

Back to top Go down

S&W repair service Empty Re: S&W repair service

Post by brdrgrd Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:13 pm

Had problems with my new Performance Center model 41, sent it back twice. When I got it back it only worked for a short while. I sent it to Clark Custom Guns, NOW it works perfectly.

brdrgrd

Back to top Go down

Post by Coupebuilder Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:19 pm

Ha this is literally perfect timing on this thread, had problems with a 41 I purchased that looked nearly new and barrel fit was poor and sloppy but no other barrels would fit it from new or old model 41's so.....off to the repair center it went, got a not that it arrived on March 18th, figured I would just get an update to see when we could expect it to be looked at and got this:

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the status of your Smith & Wesson firearm repair.  

We received your firearm into our system on:3/30/22  

Your serial number is: UAKXXXX

Once we enter your firearm into our system, charge estimates are completed within an average turnaround time of around  5-6 months.  

Your firearm is in cue and waiting to be analyzed and an estimate will be mailed out to you for approval.  

Once approved and payment is received, work will begin.  

Regards, Steve  

Hopefully they can see the dreadful work that was done on the gun, the milled slot for the barrel is apprx .007 to .008 larger than the barrel. Waaay to much slop for modern or even early machining tolerances. I have equipment from the 30s and 40s and can hold .001 all day long if need be on smaller precision parts.  
I understand all companies are busy but if you have a company  that size with a backlog of 5 months on just repairs you need to look at that and analyze the reason. SW definitely has the money to make the changes.  Very disapointed to say the least and would have sent the gun to Clark Customs first  had I known it would be that long. 

Coupebuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by jim1K Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:48 am

brdrgrd wrote:Had problems with my new Performance Center model 41, sent it back twice. When I got it back it only worked for a short while. I sent it to Clark Custom Guns, NOW it works perfectly.

I have that as plan B, I talked to Paul at Clarks...... I had to send it back to S&W because it has only half the barrel with lands and grooves... Jim

jim1K

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:26 am

I am also on the Smith & Wesson forum. I see a lot of complaints about model 41's, especially the Performance Center ones. They are probably backed up with 41's needing repairs. It's a shame that the company has fallen so low. The Performance Center is just a name, it seems, with no employees with skill or concern. I'm sure that S&W's plan to lay off 550 employees and move to Tennessee has some negative impact, as well.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by jim1K Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:31 am

With my serial number starting with UEH its 3 years old so this isn't a plant closing issue then, the bean counters got rid of inspection a long time ago..... Jim

jim1K

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:55 am

jim1K wrote:With my serial number starting with UEH its 3 years old so this isn't a plant closing issue then, the bean counters got rid of inspection a long time ago..... Jim
You can’t inspect the quality into a product.  It has to be built into the product from the start.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

BE Mike and Arthur like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jim1K Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:59 am

you sure can see if it will function and if safety works and if the trigger is up to the standards. Even look  and see if the barrels has rifling.... but no to all the above. including putting a serial# on correctly ...  Jim

jim1K

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ OR Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:00 pm

I have a tiny sign on my range box: "Friends don't let friends shoot S&W 41s".

Russ OR

Pinetree likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jim1K Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:40 am

Sad but true, to see it degrade to what it is now.....  Jim

jim1K

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:26 pm

jim1K wrote:
brdrgrd wrote:Had problems with my new Performance Center model 41, sent it back twice. When I got it back it only worked for a short while. I sent it to Clark Custom Guns, NOW it works perfectly.

I have that as plan B, I talked to Paul at Clarks...... I had to send it back to S&W because it has only half the barrel with lands and grooves... Jim
Think about Ten Ring Precision if S&W leaves you hanging.  When I sent my 41 (that had seen LOTS of rounds) to KC Crawford for a tune up, he sent it to Ten Ring Precision to get a new liner installed in the barrel.  He did the trigger job, fit the bolt to the slide and his mod to the ejector/slide stop after it came back from Ten Ring.  Pistol is now a GREAT shooter and has an amazing trigger.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by jim1K Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:06 am

I already have a barrel on order from Clark.... If this one is bad also I can just send frame down and get the trigger done and fit the barrel at the same time.....  Jim

jim1K

Back to top Go down

Post by hg401 Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:42 am

Russ OR wrote:I have a tiny sign on my range box: "Friends don't let friends shoot S&W 41s".

The issue seems to be with relatively recent manufacture M41s.  You seem the same type of issues popping up with the Victory.  I can only assume that whatever skills, expertise, and resources S&W has remaining are directed to the M&P lines.  But S&W should be embarrassed to offer the current manufacture M41 and Victory pistols.  And, at the risk of being blunt, no one should be foolish enough to buy one.

hg401

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:17 am

jim1K wrote:I already have a barrel on order from Clark.... If this one is bad also I can just send frame down and get the trigger done and fit the barrel at the same time.....  Jim
I hope the new barrel is of the quality you'd expect from Clark. I have heard, in days past that Clark got their barrels from S&W. Many years ago, I saw one of Clark's custom barrels for the S&W model 41, which a club member had purchased. It basically was a smooth bore. Alex Hamilton of Ten Ring Precision in San Antonio has a very good reputation with his ability and quality of parts in re-ling .22 pistol barrels.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by jim1K Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:41 am

I think they get their barrel blanks from Lother Walther and they are Button rifled as is the new S&W barrels but I don't have a clue who makes them. Clark cuts the length and machines them. The one I have ordered is 325.00 and they will fit them free. What does a relined a 41 barrel cost? ..... Jim

jim1K

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:30 pm

jim1K wrote:I think they get their barrel blanks from Lother Walther and they are Button rifled as is the new S&W barrels but I don't have a clue who makes them. Clark cuts the length and machines them. The one I have ordered is 325.00 and they will fit them free. What does a relined a 41 barrel cost? ..... Jim
https://tenring.com/ruger-mark-ii-govt-model-rimfire-22-accuracy/
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by jim1K Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:18 pm

Thanks for the info.I will get it tomorrow so I will know soon..... Jim

jim1K

Back to top Go down

Post by jim1K Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:35 pm

Well I got the 41 back today and there is no other way to put this but the new barrel is a POS. two of the lands don't reach the muzzled the grooves are ruff as a cob. and thank you Mike I already talked to them at ten ring ..... Jim

jim1K

Back to top Go down

Post by jim1K Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:52 am

Mike, I want to thank you again, Alex got my barrel done and he shipped it yesterday...... Things are looking positive for a change ..... from an other old has been.... Jim

jim1K

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:26 pm

Russ OR wrote:I have a tiny sign on my range box: "Friends don't let friends shoot S&W 41s".
My 41 dates back to the 1970's, and has a Clark barrel installed.  In my opinion I it is an excellent gun, and it makes me look better than how I picture myself.  The only reason I'm neglecting it (along with my High Standards) is because of how pleased I am with my Nelson Conversion, on a Salyer-modifed Caspian lower.  However well I was able to shoot with the other guns, I improved with the Nelson.

S&W ought to change the name of the Model 41.  The gun they are selling today is just a shadow of what people expected years ago - all I read about them here and elsewhere is sad stories of what "isn't".  

I guess lots of things nowadays are nothing like what we had access to in the past.  For someone who doesn't stay up to date on forum discussions, it's difficult to get honest feedback as to what products are still "as good as before".  Some new products (new Python?) look better than before, but don't work as well.  

As to S&W, if I was ever to buy another revolver, for example, I would only be looking at old guns, made when QUALITY was the top priority.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by jim1K Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:24 pm

I have two old 5 screw K's a .22 and a 38 both are excellent  as is the old 1950 Army match..... Today there is no quality any more at S&W, it will be interesting to see what happens after the move at the end of the year..... Jim

jim1K

Back to top Go down

Post by hg401 Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:34 pm

jim1K wrote:I have two old 5 screw K's a .22 and a 38 both are excellent  as is the old 1950 Army match..... Today there is no quality any more at S&W, it will be interesting to see what happens after the move at the end of the year..... Jim

Time will tell but, more than likely, it's poor management.  So if the management doesn't change, the quality doesn't change.

hg401

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:11 pm

Does "management" care more about instant profits (bleeding the company dry) or long term reputation for quality?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:09 pm

jim1K wrote:Mike, I want to thank you again, Alex got my barrel done and he shipped it yesterday...... Things are looking positive for a change ..... from an other old has been.... Jim
The relined 41 barrel KC Crawford had done for me at Ten Ring is a HAMMER.  KC re-did the trigger and bolt/slide fit and ejector and I have now pushed about 200rds thru it and have decided to make it my 22 EIC gun.  The trigger is THAT good and without the dot on it, it balances really well.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

jim1K likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jim1K Sun May 01, 2022 7:24 am

mikemyers wrote:Does "management" care more about instant profits (bleeding the company dry) or long term reputation for quality?
I think it started a long time ago and has gotten worse. They don't have a problem listing the gun at 1400.00 but the workmanship isn't there, nor the Quality. Sad when a 50.00 H&R  that I shot a ton of blanks out of will out shoot the 41 I got. One more note they finish the gun then roll stamp the lettering and serial number on it, now all the displaced metal is above the finish, then they blue it  why in the world would they do it that ?
 This gun is three years old, I have never saw work this crude from S&W before...... Jim

jim1K

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next