Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portable cooling

+3
SteveT
GrumpyOldMan
PhotoEscape
7 posters

Go down

Portable cooling Empty Portable cooling

Post by PhotoEscape 4/10/2022, 1:45 pm

I wonder if anyone has experience with portable evaporation coolers?  I'm interested to add such for cooling my cars' interior during nights when I sleep in it.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Portable cooling Empty Re: Portable cooling

Post by GrumpyOldMan 4/10/2022, 9:22 pm

Never bought one. Never lived with one. Visited a LOT of friends' houses with it in years past. Worked in a few warehouse type settings with it a few times.

GREAT cooling in dry climates. Cheap and reliable.

Not sure how much relative humidity reduces the cooling or how fast. But if it just rained and the sun comes out (I know that's not overnight sleep sessions), swamp coolers almost make it worse. It's a double-whammy: less cooling effect AND the humidity impairs your own sweaty body's cooling efforts.

For nighttime use I would definitely try it. One of my worst night's sleep was one July at about 2,200 ft altitude and probably 8% relative humidity. But it didn't cool below 80°F until about 2 a.m.. A battery-pack swamp cooler would have been really, really nice that night.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 4/10/2022, 10:37 pm

Not portable... or modern, but many years ago I worked in building maintenance. We had a theater that didn't have AC, only nozzles that sprayed a mist of water in the airstream. As GrumpyOldMan said, it worked pretty good on low humidity days. Not so well if the dew point was 70. The building broke ground October 1, 1929. There was a little unpleasantness  later that month and even into the 60's, parts of the building were unfinished because of lack of money. It was an interesting way to pay for college.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 4/11/2022, 12:33 am

Aircraft pilots sometimes use these to cool down the cabin of their aircraft.  Not “evaporative” cookers but they work.  

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/9983?var=9986&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgMqSBhDCARIsAIIVN1WpZsQdRvm7ajlTqRfcFr2lT6fIgXs179-rZDTvaM2nu6IpzsW4WAIaAhTFEALw_wcB
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Bubba Blaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pgg 4/13/2022, 4:39 pm

A system like this could be an option

https://competitionmotorsport.com/coolshirt-complete-club-system-all-in-one

The problem with any kind of evaporative cooler is the humidity you're adding to the air.

pgg

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 4/13/2022, 6:14 pm

It might take some cobbling to use in a car, but I bet you could drop your core temp enough to sleep with one of those ice water pump setups usually used for knee surgery recovery.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 4/13/2022, 6:47 pm

If it's not a gas hog I'd be tempted to keep her running through the night. 1,000rpm under no load isn't going to use much fuel and you've got full A/C and electric.

zanemoseley

adminbot1911 and Coupebuilder like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down