Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Army - Bullseye Pistol footage

+5
DA/SA
Oleg G
mspingeld
SingleActionAndrew
mikemyers
9 posters

Go down

All Army - Bullseye Pistol footage Empty All Army - Bullseye Pistol footage

Post by mikemyers 5/19/2022, 5:24 pm

I've never seen this posted here.  I think you'll all find it as interesting as I did....

mikemyers
mikemyers

Sc0 and shanneba like this post

Back to top Go down

All Army - Bullseye Pistol footage Empty Re: All Army - Bullseye Pistol footage

Post by SingleActionAndrew 5/19/2022, 10:01 pm

My favorite video on YouTube. Found it while looking for the 2020/2021 Olympics men's rapid fire finals
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 5/20/2022, 6:11 am

Maybe someone here can explain why the fellow at the beginning of the video moves his body around the way he does.  I don't see other people doing this, and I've never seen anyone at my range doing this, but the people who created the video made it a point to show this, over and over.

I used to raise my arm, aim at the target, and shoot.
From this forum I've learned to raise my arm higher, lower it to the target, and shoot.
This fellow seems to be allowing his body to flex until he finds "his" perfect stance.

I think I will share this video on other forums - most people only seem to know about self defense and action shooting.  Precision shooting doesn't get much attention.

(P.S. - The Bullseye Encyclopedia could have a folder created for some of the videos we all enjoy seeing.)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 5/20/2022, 6:53 am

He's not flexing. He's moving his feet. Try this. Get in position, grip your gun, with your eyes closed raise your arm toward target. Open your eyes. Are you on target (right to left)? If not, move your back foot a little and repeat until you are. The theory here is to not be forcing the sights to align with the target. In recoil the gun will return to your "natural point of aim".

mspingeld
Admin

mbmshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 5/20/2022, 6:54 am

Mike,

Since you refer to the Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol, I would strongly recommend that you read the Army Marksmanship Unit Training guide, and specifically the section on the Minimum Arc of movement. You may want to study the chapters on Stance and Position. They explain in detail how to achieve a Natural Point of Aim (NPA), which is what the experienced shooter in the video was doing as part his demonstration. NOTE: Of course, in pistol shooting, we ban the notion of the point of aim and use aim area instead but the goal remains the same - achieve natural, relaxed and comfortable position of the entire shooter-weapon system that aligns the weapon's aiming system with the intended target.
The second part of the video show the beginner students in the marksmanship class, who are just starting to learn the fundamentals of precision shooting. Thus, correctly and deliberately aligning their stance is not yet ingrained into them.

Here is the link to the appropriate part of the AMU guide on the Bullseye Encyclopedia site:

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapter1.htm

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 5/20/2022, 7:11 am

The first time I watched this video, my volume was set to a normal level, and I could barely understand what was being said.  I just turned the volume up to full, made the video full-screen, and watched his feet over and over, while trying to understand what was being said.  Bingo, just as you wrote.

(I thought the way to do this was to lower the gun, move my foot to a different position, and raise the gun  Maybe that's because I was shooting two-handed.  I will try it this way next time.  Thankyou.)

Question - with the shooters and targets so close together, and many people focusing on their sights, not the targets, how do they minimize shooters shooting at the wrong target?

Oleg - thanks, will do, again.  I did read this long ago, and adapted what I read to two-hand shooting when my feet were in very different locations, but now I realize it's very different for one-hand shooting.  Yes, I will read again, as suggested.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 5/20/2022, 7:35 am

mikemyers wrote:
Question - with the shooters and targets so close together, and many people focusing on their sights, not the targets, how do they minimize shooters shooting at the wrong target?
There is a number at the bench position and a corresponding number posted at the targets.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 5/20/2022, 8:06 am

DA/SA wrote:
mikemyers wrote:
There is a number at the bench position and a corresponding number posted at the targets.
When you establish your natural point of aim you use your target. If done correctly when you lift the gun, you will lift inline with your target. That said cross fires do happen.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/20/2022, 9:08 am

chiz1180 wrote:
DA/SA wrote:
mikemyers wrote:
When you establish your natural point of aim you use your target. If done correctly when you lift the gun, you will lift inline with your target. That said cross fires do happen.

Good point!
Especially at Perry, where the 25/50 yd benches won’t line up!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 5/20/2022, 9:28 am

On many ranges they also alternate colors of frames & number plates.  I believe that is an attempt to keep me from cross firing again.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 5/20/2022, 9:44 am

Maybe someone here can explain why the fellow at the beginning of the video moves his body around the way he does. 

????

(1) 862 Fundamentals Discussion topics, its been covered before here.  Back foot left or right to line up with target.  Front foot further out or in to get a little elevation help and achieve the best balance.  Angle to target is whatever is most comfortable and produces the least wobble.  All of them change over time.  Or better yet, just go to the Small Arms Firing School at Camp Perry. They'll even let you shoot with some coaching.  Its cheap, easy and just what I would recommend for you.  

(2) And maybe watch some the match there or other some real matches, just to look and ask questions even if you don't shoot.  

CR

CR10X

STEVE SAMELAK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 5/20/2022, 10:16 am

This.

or possibly one of the pistol marksmanship 101 opportunities 
https://thecmp.org/training-tech/marksmanship-101/
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down