Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springfield Armory's Garrison - Suitable Replacement for Range Officer?

+6
RoyDean
CO1Mtn
javaduke
mikemyers
SonOfAGun
Tim:H11
10 posters

Go down

Springfield Armory's Garrison - Suitable Replacement for Range Officer? Empty Springfield Armory's Garrison - Suitable Replacement for Range Officer?

Post by Tim:H11 Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:55 pm

I took my boy to our local gun shop today just to look around and see what all might be new. We found a Springfield Armory Garrison. It's a newer pistol in Springfield Armory's 1911 line up. If you look at the specifications of the pistol, they closely match those of Springfield's former Range Officer. The two big differences that I can tell are that the sights are Novack styled, and the finish is a polished blue instead of a parkerized finish. That's about it. 

When adopting the Range Officer as an entry level bullseye pistol, many stick the iron sights to learn with. Others right away slap on an Ultradot. With the Garrison, you could remove the sights and install a rib and optic. But for iron sight shooting, something is going to have to be done about the sights. Either way, the price point is nice. $750 ish for a new one. My local gun shop had one with a blue label price of $650. That's a pretty good deal for a base gun. Throw in an oversized slide stop pin, fitted bushing, a new sear, sights - be it optic or iron, and a new shooter can be ready to go for something in the realm of $1,000 give or take I'd imagine. 

Thought I'd share my findings and opinion. Our coveted Range Officer has been discontinued for a little while now and prices for them on sites like gun broker have gun up considerably. The Garrison just might be the incarnation of the Range Officer. Just some thoughts on a Saturday. My boy thought we should've bought one. He didn't know how to explain it to Mama though so we left if at the store.. for now.

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Springfield Armory's Garrison - Suitable Replacement for Range Officer? Empty Re: Springfield Armory's Garrison - Suitable Replacement for Range Officer?

Post by SonOfAGun Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:13 pm

Tim:H11 wrote:...
With the Garrison, you could remove the sights and install a rib and optic. But for iron sight shooting, something is going to have to be done about the sights.

How about a combo?

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1683
SonOfAGun
SonOfAGun

Back to top Go down

Springfield Armory's Garrison - Suitable Replacement for Range Officer? Empty Re: Springfield Armory's Garrison - Suitable Replacement for Range Officer?

Post by mikemyers Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:41 pm

What are your thoughts on the Springfield 1911 Loaded Target?  It comes in Stainless Steel, which might be a negative, but it's reasonably priced - but hard to find as so many people in California are buying it.

Springfield Armory's Garrison - Suitable Replacement for Range Officer? PI9134LCA-New-Markings-1024x770
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:11 pm

mikemyers wrote:What are your thoughts on the Springfield 1911 Loaded Target?  It comes in Stainless Steel, which might be a negative, but it's reasonably priced - but hard to find as so many people in California are buying it.

Stainless guns can be made to be accurate but I'm not sure about longevity with regular use. Gun builders on this forum could speak more to that since that would be a topic beyond my knowledge. But The stainless loaded model still MSRP's and cost more than a Garrison.

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:22 pm

Garrison would be ideal if not for the non-adjustable Novak-style rear sight. There is a thing called "No-mar" though, it's a Bomar-style rear sight with Novak dovetail: 

https://www.bunkerarms.com/product-page/nomar-conversion-complete-sight

Last edited by james r chapman on Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Made link active.)

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Grunt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:32 pm

I bought one of these and it's not as accurate as I hoped it would be. It barely stays on the repair center at 50 yards. I put an adjustable rear sight on it. The trigger is already perfect so it didn't need a trigger job. I don't know why it isn't more accurate since the slide to frame fit is very tight. The barrel doesn't have much play either. I don't understand it. Maybe it needs a tighter bushing. Or Maybe aluminum case Blazer ball ammo isn't that accurate. I tried some handloads and they weren't much better. I used Berry's plated bullets. Someone told me they aren't the best bullet though. Maybe I should have used a JHP or XTP bullet. I used Unique gunpowder since it is the only type I could find anywhere. I tried a sandbag rest and there's no way this pistol could be competitive in its current state or with the ammo I'm using. I might try other ammo if I can find it. I shot a NMC with this pistol and scored 220/300. I usually shoot at least 265. So this pistol is lacking something. Or the ammo is poor.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:02 pm

IMHO, and not intending to be rude, but using Blazer Al case Ball and/or reloads with Berry's plated bullets at 50 yards it is a wonder you could keep ten shots on the backer, never mind the repair center!

Find some good 185gr JHP bullets (Hornady XTP or Nosler or Zero if you can locate some) and try again.

RoyDean

BE Mike, bmize1 and zanemoseley like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangeant Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:28 pm

You should be able to find a used RO. If not you can pick up a used loaded model and put a adj LPA rear sight on it that fits Novak cut.
I've only looked at a few garrisons and fit varied along with trigger.

Tangeant
Tangeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:20 am

If adding/fitting new EGW angle bore prefit bushing (Brownells) and EGW 0.200” slide stop pin doesn’t help it, rebarrel it and it’ll be a shooter. Don’t use Kart EZ Fit because SA runs large on dimensions. You’ll have very little upper lug engagement.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

dieselguy624 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:17 pm

Thank you for the feedback. I just bought some of the Hornady XTP 185 gr bullets you mentioned. They're on sale at midwayusa.com

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:00 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:If adding/fitting new EGW angle bore prefit bushing (Brownells) and EGW 0.200” slide stop pin doesn’t help it, rebarrel it and it’ll be a shooter. Don’t use Kart EZ Fit because SA runs large on dimensions. You’ll have very little upper lug engagement.
Jon
I did this on my 9mm and 45 ROs.  Made them decent shooters, but still going to get them barreled to make them hammers. 9mm going to 38SC.

You can order a thick flange, angle or straight bore bushing straight off the EGW site using your slide ID (0.699, 0.701, 0.703, 0.705) and barrel OD (in 0.001" increments from 0.575-0.583").  Lead time says 3 weeks but mine must have been near standard size (0.699/0.580 & 0.581) because I got them a couple days later. Snug fit in the slide (presses in firmly but need the bushing wrench to turn) and slight drag on the barrel dry, slicks right up with a drop of oil.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

JRV likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:13 pm

I don't know what is up with this Garrison I bought I loaded up the XTP bullets and they will hardly chamber in the barrel. Won't feed from a magazine. It's single load only. Hardly holds the 5-ring at 25 yards now. Factory ammo barely stays on the repair center at 25 yards. Maybe my handloads are the problem.

The slide to frame fit is pretty tight on this pistol. It's so tight I have to wear a rubber glove on my left hand when I rack the slide or it cuts my finger sometimes. And the trigger is serrated, which I found is giving my finger a blister so I'm going to replace that.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:18 pm

CO1mtn, use 320 grit sandpaper and sand down the serrations. Be good to go.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:24 pm

45Acp use Noslers, ZERO JHP, Brazos SWC 185 or 200s, 

H&G 68 type bullet col should be in a range of 1.23 to 1.125 depending on your barrel. 

A conical bullet like the Nosler , or ZERO has to be pretty short COL 1.20 to 1.21

Nosler might have an accuracy load for their bullet and universal , cross reference that against the Hornady load data and if similar start with that load as the bullets are similar  type. 

I do not know Universal should be ok with JHPs. Cast bullets I would start with 10% below the min load and work up in 2 10th grain increments. There may be a sticky for the Hornady bullet. 

A good load for the barrel can make a 5 ring gun into a 9 ring gun.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down