Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proper way to support the pistol for bench rest testing your ammo

+14
chopper
fc60
jjfitch
faraim
BE Mike
james r chapman
Wobbley
Jack H
jwax
CO1Mtn
Merick
-TT-
SteveT
Foundryratjim
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Proper way to support the pistol for bench rest testing your ammo - Page 2 Empty Proper way to support the pistol for bench rest testing your ammo

Post by Foundryratjim Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:44 am

First topic message reminder :

I did a search and couldn't find what I'm looking for. What is the best way to support your pistol for bench testing of ammo, sight adjustment etc. The majority of us don't have access to a ransom rest.

Foundryratjim

Back to top Go down

Proper way to support the pistol for bench rest testing your ammo - Page 2 Empty Re: Proper way to support the pistol for bench rest testing your ammo

Post by Jon Eulette Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:23 pm

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

A long time ago, I sent Darius "Doc" Young some home swaged bullets to test.

He returned the test targets a few weeks later via mail.

I then talked with him at a later Tournament and asked how he tested. Random Rest, maybe?

He said he tests his ammo/guns before each match from a standing position one handed. He built up a support such that his arm was fully supported in the "normal" offhand shooting position.

I still have the test targets and they are all close to X-Ring in size at 50 yards.

In closing, another way to test your ammo/gun.

Cheers,

Dave
Doc trained free pistol this way. He said it trained the brain to know what a 10 looks like. He took 4th in the Olympics, missing Bronze by 4/10ths of a point. Great shooter!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

chopper and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Proper way to support the pistol for bench rest testing your ammo - Page 2 Empty Re: Proper way to support the pistol for bench rest testing your ammo

Post by chopper Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:45 pm

Jon, that would help out a lot to see where my sub-6 hold was, and etch that picture in my brain. Thank you for posting this.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:00 pm

Chopper,
Like I always say, “you have to know what a 10 looks like, and feels like”!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:11 pm

I'm pretty sure that Brian Enos used to begin every training session with rested shooting to get the brain on track.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Foundryratjim Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:20 pm

I have been having good luck adapting wobbly's rollover prone to the benches at one of the ranges I belong to. Here is a picture of one.
Attachments
Proper way to support the pistol for bench rest testing your ammo - Page 2 Attachment
IMG_20220722_181846.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(176 Kb) Downloaded 23 times

Foundryratjim

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:20 pm

I was shooting a 1911 with an extended magazine this afternoon with some really accurate handholds.  If I rested my wrists, my groups were tiny.  If I rested the pistol on the bench (magazine touching the bench), my groups were bigger than the black.

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2