Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nelson Conversion

+2
davekp
rich.tullo
6 posters

Go down

Nelson Conversion  Empty Nelson Conversion

Post by rich.tullo 6/30/2016, 8:58 pm

Has anyone ever ransom rested them? If so would you mind sharing the results? I suspect mine will hold under an inch at 50 yards?
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Nelson Conversion  Empty Re: Nelson Conversion

Post by davekp 7/1/2016, 2:48 pm

I ransom rested both the Nelson and a Marvel. Used CCI, Aguila std, Aguila blue box, SK+ and Eley 10-x. Best for the Nelson was 2 3/8" and the Marvel was 1 3/4". 10 shots @ 50 yds.

davekp

Back to top Go down

Post by heli_av8tor 7/21/2016, 6:30 am

I had my Nelson on the RR yesterday to test various bullets. I too think I should get under 1 inch groups but didn't get close to that goal.
Even though I was careful to follow the same routine I'm not confident that I got the best possible results. Note that this was a new gun and had not been fired prior to testing.

I wonder if the recoil spring on the RR should be looser for .22 than for .45? I see very little muzzle rise on firing.

After securing the gun in the rest I fired 25 rounds to "settle" the gun. I loaded five rounds and closed the slide using the slide lock. After firing 4 rounds I removed the mag and loaded 5 more. Between each shot I raised the gun and returned down with a smooth steady motion to contact the stop gently but firmly. Every effort was made to be consistent. Test results include first and last rounds and were shot at 50 yards in calm winds.

Here are the five best rounds tested and the extreme spread for each:

Aguila Super Extra  1.30"
Wolf Match Extra   1.60"
CCI Standard Velocity  1.73"
SK Pistol Match  1.94"
SK Standard Plus  2.01"

heli_av8tor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 7/21/2016, 9:09 am

About the next week or two I will RR 4 Nelson units (one a Bob Marvel Unit), an Advantage Arms with a Bob Marvel barrel, and some others.  Just for grins and giggles.  I'll let you know.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 7/21/2016, 9:14 am

Jack H wrote:About the next week or two I will RR 4 Nelson units (one a Bob Marvel Unit), an Advantage Arms with a Bob Marvel barrel, and some others.  Just for grins and giggles.  I'll let you know.
I'm sure they will come back under 1"

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Nelson Conversion  Empty Ransom Rest Testing

Post by Richard Ashmore 7/21/2016, 11:27 am

rich.tullo wrote:Has anyone ever ransom rested them? If so would you mind sharing the results? I suspect mine will hold under an inch at 50 yards?

A couple of thoughts-

a.  The Ransom Rest is a wonderful product, but is extremely sensitive to operator technique.  
b.  Every batch of ammunition is unique, as is every barrel.  Extrapolating the results of testing one batch of any ammunition in a specific barrel to any other ammunition-barrel combination is imprudent.  That's why Eley and Lapua have customer ranges.
Richard Ashmore
Richard Ashmore

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 7/21/2016, 2:49 pm

Best RR 22 group I ever got is with my Oregon Precision Arms firing CCI SV paper.  That was about 5/8 inch with 4 of 5 touching in about a .2 group. 
Shot 5 was a flyer out to 5/8  lol! 

Also have shot many groups out of HS with Eley.  The norm was about 3/4" to 1".
One Advantage Arms barrel did 1" with Eley and 4"-5" with green tag.   Double checked and confirmed.  So ya never know without some sort of gun/ammo trial.

I am never looking for that best lot of Eley for like benchrest accuracy.  But I definitely want to find out about that 4-5" combination.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down