Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An idea for someone to make, and sell to those of us who can't always practice

+8
DA/SA
RodJ
WRH56
dannyd93140
BE Mike
tomj44
shootingsight
mikemyers
12 posters

Go down

An idea for someone to make, and sell to those of us who can't always practice Empty An idea for someone to make, and sell to those of us who can't always practice

Post by mikemyers 8/10/2022, 10:50 am

I built this thing many years ago, so I could do holding drills and simulated dry-fire practice when I was away from home.  I  used an old mobile phone case, filled it with coins, wrapped it in an old Pachmayr 1911 grip set, added a plastic ruler to support my toothpick which would be a front sight, and made a rear sight out of electrical tape.  Along with a wrist weight, it works nicely.

It's good for holding drills, good for simulated dry-fire practice, and great for taking to the Optomitrist, with a business card taped to the end, to get a prescription for eyeglasses.

Someone could make something similar, and probably find quite a few people willing to buy it.

Don't laugh too hard.  Either a), it allows me to practice when I'm away, or b), it explains why I can't shoot like the Masters.   :-)

An idea for someone to make, and sell to those of us who can't always practice Img_6412
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

An idea for someone to make, and sell to those of us who can't always practice Empty Re: An idea for someone to make, and sell to those of us who can't always practice

Post by shootingsight 11/5/2022, 10:08 pm

The idea of practicing is a good one.

However taking this to the optometrist isn't needed.  If you approach the problem by doing the lens math, you can calculate the proper offset from your distance vision prescription to be +0.75 diopters.  So go to your eye doc and get a regular exam, without mentioning guns.  Then ask him to write out a prescription for a single power lens (not progressive) that has an ADD of +0.75.  ADD is a medical term that means to add +0.75 to your distance prescription.

shootingsight

Back to top Go down

An idea for someone to make, and sell to those of us who can't always practice Empty Re: An idea for someone to make, and sell to those of us who can't always practice

Post by tomj44 11/6/2022, 7:54 am

Home - Next Level Training

tomj44

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 11/6/2022, 9:50 am

Holding weights is helpful, but neither of these devices will do anything to improve trigger control needed for great slow fire scores. They also won't help with sustained fire and recoil recovery.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyd93140 11/6/2022, 10:25 am

Weights definitely helped me over the years.  Built this weight 35 years ago to use when I was deployed.  Still use it today and it still does helps.

An idea for someone to make, and sell to those of us who can't always practice 13652d10
An idea for someone to make, and sell to those of us who can't always practice 0613aa10
dannyd93140
dannyd93140

Back to top Go down

Post by WRH56 11/6/2022, 1:08 pm

Attached is a training aid made years ago by my gunsmith (recently deceased).  Have not weighed it, but just an idea for anyone that wants to try and make one.

An idea for someone to make, and sell to those of us who can't always practice 2Q==

Last edited by WRH56 on 11/6/2022, 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Include picture and delete attachment)
WRH56
WRH56

dannyd93140 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 11/6/2022, 1:59 pm

mikemyers wrote:

An idea for someone to make, and sell to those of us who can't always practice Img_6412
I’m trying to picture how to explain this to TSA.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 11/6/2022, 5:03 pm

shootingsight wrote:The idea of practicing is a good one.

However taking this to the optometrist isn't needed.  If you approach the problem by doing the lens math, you can calculate the proper offset from your distance vision prescription to be +0.75 diopters.  So go to your eye doc and get a regular exam, without mentioning guns.  Then ask him to write out a prescription for a single power lens (not progressive) that has an ADD of +0.75.  ADD is a medical term that means to add +0.75 to your distance prescription.
Is it odd or fairly normal that I need a different lens for iron sights than I do for a dot?  (+2.0 dot, +2.5 irons)
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 11/6/2022, 8:01 pm

DA/SA wrote:Is it odd or fairly normal that I need a different lens for iron sights than I do for a dot?  (+2.0 dot, +2.5 irons)
Normal. The dot is set up to optically be focused at (more or less) infinity, so you would use your distance prescription. With iron sights you should be focused on the front sight (or usually a little forward of the front sight) so iron prescription is usually +0.5 to +1 from your distance prescription.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 11/6/2022, 8:08 pm

Thanks Steve!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 11/24/2022, 5:20 pm

shootingsight wrote:The idea of practicing is a good one.

some of us have eye doc's that are Distinguished,   never worried about mentioning guns,
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 11/25/2022, 11:03 am

mikemyers wrote:I built this thing many years ago, so I could do holding drills and simulated dry-fire practice when I was away from home.  I  used an old mobile phone case, filled it with coins, wrapped it in an old Pachmayr 1911 grip set, added a plastic ruler to support my toothpick which would be a front sight, and made a rear sight out of electrical tape.  Along with a wrist weight, it works nicely.

It's good for holding drills, good for simulated dry-fire practice, and great for taking to the Optomitrist, with a business card taped to the end, to get a prescription for eyeglasses.

Someone could make something similar, and probably find quite a few people willing to buy it.

Don't laugh too hard.  Either a), it allows me to practice when I'm away, or b), it explains why I can't shoot like the Masters.   :-)

Too many fingers on the front of the grip, trigger finger needs to free. That changes grip significantly. Concept is good, especially if one could actually move the trigger finger in a motion most similar to trigger press. Maintaining and isolating proper unchanging grip, while pressing the trigger, while keeping sights in alignment and in aiming area is the simple, yet hardest thing to master. Any aid which helps to develop that is beneficial. 
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 11/25/2022, 3:26 pm

I am dead serious on this Dry Fire Device.  It was given me 50+ years ago by my coach and mentor LTC Miller.

The thing about dry fire when you do not have the specific gun you use is to adapt your mind to doing the correct thing under all circumstances in any environment.  Sight alignment and trigger control is always sight alignment and trigger control.  And add Follow through......

An idea for someone to make, and sell to those of us who can't always practice Dry-Fire-Device
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight 11/29/2022, 10:04 am

The problem with eye docs is that most shooters do not know to describe the correct problem.  Shooters say 'I can't see the front sight' or 'I want to focus on the front sight'.  However this is the wrong answer.  You want to see the sights all right, but you also need to maintain some focus on the target.  If you truly focus ON the front sight, the optical answer is you need an ADD of +1.50 diopters.  The front sight is razor sharp ... but the target is gone.

The real answer is you want to focus at a point forward of the front sight, so you can balance the sight focus and target focus.  In photography, this is referred to as the hyperfocal distance.  For true hyperfocal between the front sight and the target, the math says you would want an ADD of +0.65, however pistol shooters prefer a sharper sight, and a slightly blurry target, and besides, lenses only come in increments of 0.25 diopters, so for pistol you round up to +0.75 as an add, and the balance is about perfect for most pistol shooters.  If you have great range lighting such that you can afford to shoot with an aperture, you can get up to a +1.00 for even better sight clarity.

shootingsight

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 11/30/2022, 5:54 pm

For what it's worth, I stopped using the gizmo I made in front of a target, and just used a white wall.  The target was giving me  incorrect information to practice with.  With a white wall, all I needed to do was keep the toothpick (front sight) in front of the gap in the black electrical tape (rear sight).  

Take the ruler off, and TSA would not have any concerns.  It didn't for me.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down