Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shooting journal

+6
john bickar
fc60
chopper
Wobbley
CR10X
straybrit
10 posters

Go down

Shooting journal Empty Shooting journal

Post by straybrit 9/6/2022, 9:56 am

What to do?
OK- so I decided to have another go at keeping a shooting journal. I've tried a couple of times - admittedly half-assed attempts - in the past and it didn't stick. Unfortunately I am no diarist, I keep a running log of interesting technical issues/tricks for work but that's it.
Currently I'm thinking of a 2 section set up, one for matches shot - with scores, place, conditions, guns, ammo etc - factual data and another section for maintenance/modifications to the guns. All very prosaic and obvious. So - what else should I be recording to get future benefit from the exercise?

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Shooting journal Empty Re: Shooting journal

Post by CR10X 9/6/2022, 10:58 am

Check out some previous posts.

But:

(1) Your training focus to today.  Specifically what one thing to focus or work on for that session. 

(2) Your thought for the match. A match is not training; it's "just for doin' what you already learned."

(2) When you shoot a 10 / X; write down pretty much everything you can about what you thought, did, saw and felt during that shot.  Don't write down anything for an unacceptable shot, just go back are read what your wrote for the 10/X. 

(3) People you meet, palaces you shoot, and any ideas or positive things you see and hear on the line.

CR10X

Hawkja likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 9/6/2022, 11:44 am

With cell phones now there are apps that allow you to dictate to text, even in the moment of the event.  So you can eliminate the time and hassle of writing.  You can also take pictures of targets and scorecards and embed them in those sessions.   Then when you get home, you can format them as you like, print them or not and extract data if you’re tracking trends.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 9/6/2022, 12:35 pm

When I first started to journal I would write down what it took to make one good shot such as: stance, position, grip, trigger, etc. I would make my list at the beginning of my journal and make abbreviations and use those. I did this for training and practice, when I shot a session whether live or dry fired. I would notate if I did each item to the best of my ability with a yes or no. Scores "do not matter", only whether you executed the session the best you can. Sometimes I would add to a "No" what my problem would be if it was concentration, physical, or something else that needed fixing.
 This is just one aspect of journaling, you can enter all kinds of stuff or like what Cecil suggested or Wobbley has also. 
 I know some older guys that just record scores at matches. They would also record the place, time, weather, sun, etc like stuff that could affect their shooting. You could write down your personal things like attitude or pain if you want.
 It's all about something you can reflect on later or what makes you feel good about yourself.
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit 9/6/2022, 3:59 pm

Wobbley wrote:apps that allow you to dictate to text

Yeah - I've used them. They are universally crap. Very poor noise discrimination with wind, any sudden noise (never mind firing) causes them to have a fit, they drain power like crazy - and don't get me started on the abysmal non-american accent recognition.
Don't get me wrong - they have their uses and I use one or another quite extensively when I have hand fulls of servers and want to take notes on the actual content of the box - as opposed to what the dimwit IT cretin noted when they 'installed' it - but outdoors in the wind with lots of background noise, nope.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 9/6/2022, 7:06 pm

Greetings,

You just need an APP with a Scottish Brogue.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 9/6/2022, 7:25 pm

CR10X wrote:
(2) When you shoot a 10 / X; write down pretty much everything you can about what you thought, did, saw and felt during that shot.  Don't write down anything for an unacceptable shot, just go back are read what your wrote for the 10/X. 

Mine is generally this. Notes on what went well. I write about 3-5x as much in my journal after a PB as I do after a regular match. Tactical and technical details that I can refer back to. I think the key is things that could help me in the future.

Another take:

I shot the Bianchi Cup in 2003 and a kind gentleman named Phil Hemphill (you may have heard of him) was mentoring me at the time. When I would come off of the line, he would ask me, "John, how'd it go?"

Me: "Pretty good, actually."

Phil: "Well, why?"

A little later, after a different stage:

Phil: "John, how'd it go?"

Me: "Ah, a little rough on this stage."

Phil: "Well, why?"
john bickar
john bickar

chiz1180 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 9/6/2022, 8:33 pm

I don’t journal per say but I record match performance noting things of importance. It typically do this after the match when I get home. I may loose some small details, but if it was some glaring issue or some magic moment of clarity, I will remember it. Most things entries for me are short and to the point.

What you need in your journal is likely different from what I need, but if you do journal it is important to review your notes and apply them to your training and development program.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 9/6/2022, 10:04 pm

Short answer is any information that makes you shoot better. The most important thing is start doing it and expand it as needed. Like so much in pistol shooting, it is individual. If you have a perfect memory you don't need to write anything down. If you are human, it can help you avoid repeating mistakes.

It should have a section on equipment that includes which direction to turn the knobs and how much a click is. Any ammo related info is there also.

Your shot process

Your goals

Calendar

Directions to ranges and notes about them

"Stuff that works". If you find something that works, write it down

When I first started I put a lot of time and effort into my shooting notebook. As time has gone on, I spend less time and effort on it, but the nuggets of info are important.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 9/6/2022, 10:35 pm

Here is a comparison list of Android Diary apps.  

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-diary-apps-journal-apps-android-892375/
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 9/7/2022, 6:25 am

I use this. I like it’s format. It helps keep me focused on the right things and not chasing my tail and endlessly putting rounds down range to no point. 

https://mentalmanagement.com/products/performance-analysis-the-ultimate-performance-journal
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 9/7/2022, 9:00 am

I think it is human nature to keep doing things we do well and ignore those areas where we need improvement. An honest diary keeps reminding us of the areas we need to focus on. For me, if it becomes too lengthy and detailed, the "meat" gets lost in the stew and I'll tend not to refer to it. It also needs to be written in terms that are meaningful to me. I like to put a positive spin on it and be nice to myself rather than accusatory. In the end anything that makes the "light bulb" pop on during training or a match should be recorded.
BE Mike
BE Mike

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit 9/7/2022, 9:51 am

Lots of good ideas and thoughts here - thanks everyone and keep it coming.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down