Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shipping guns to myself

+2
Wobbley
RoyDean
6 posters

Go down

Shipping guns to myself Empty Shipping guns to myself

Post by RoyDean 11/5/2022, 9:12 am

I have been thinking through options for trips to other states later next year and just googled current shipping laws. Wow! It is much more difficult now, both UPS and FedEx will only ship handguns from FFL's now. 

OK, so getting them shipped is not a big problem, I know friendly FFL's in every state of interest, but the issue arises at the receiving end. If I am the lawful owner of the guns, do I have to go through a Background Check again?

I have read that you must mark the shipment to the owner "in care of" the delivery addressee (an FFL). So is that receiving FFL then OK to just hand the package over to me?

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Shipping guns to myself Empty Re: Shipping guns to myself

Post by Wobbley 11/5/2022, 9:26 am

I’d give these guys a call.  They’ve handled personally owned firearms for international shipments so they might be able to help.  It might be more expensive than UPS but I bet it’ll be smoother.

http://www.polaris-logistics.com/
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Dan Webb likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 11/5/2022, 10:30 am

I stayed in a Motel 6 last night, so for what it's worth.

As a nonlicensee under basic federal law, your ability to mail a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service without the involvement of an FFL is limited:
[list="box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; margin-bottom: 1rem; line-height: 1.8; color: rgb(47, 46, 51); font-family: Poppins, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 18.4px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"][*]You can ship a firearm to yourself in a state where you plan “to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity.” You must address it to yourself “in care of” the out-of-state resident. Once it arrives, no one but you can take possession of or open the package, so you must be at the destination to receive it.
[/list]

I'm told that it's easiest to have an FFL mail it to another FFL, it would not need to be logged.
I was also told to enclose a picture of my drivers license for verification it was mine.

I'd double check check it but sounds reasonable.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 11/5/2022, 10:57 am

AFAIK. Non-FFL can only now ship long guns via USPS. Previously an FFL could use USPS for handguns, but had to sign an agreement with local post office. Not sure whether that is still the case.

RoyDean

kc.crawford.7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 11/5/2022, 1:01 pm

This whole thread is depressing to the max.

RodJ

popchevy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix 12/23/2022, 6:14 pm

Why not just fly with them? Completely legal and you would not believe how much ammo you can fly with too
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by NYKenn 12/24/2022, 7:32 pm

An FFL not logging in any gun and transferring same without a background check is skirting BATF regulations and is putting both license and freedom in jeopardy.
Every gun I receive is logged, listed and 4473’d.

NYKenn

http://www.TheFiringLineOnline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down