Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Converting a BB gun for dry fire

5 posters

Go down

Converting a BB gun for dry fire Empty Converting a BB gun for dry fire

Post by RoyDean Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:40 pm

Whoops, this should have gone into the Equipment Section. Sorry!

So, I expect that some will think me deluded (to join the many who already do!). But there might be method in my madness.

I intend to resume spending several months per year in a country where guns are banned (no, I don't mean Canada bounce). I have a decent target air pistol at that location and some time ago I bought an "AirSoft" clone of a CZ TS. It uses "Green Gas" from a canister to fill a tank in the magazine and fires plastic BB's. It has the weight and feel of a full sized real gun, but the trigger is too light and lousy. I don't want to shoot BB's (they bounce and get everywhere!). But it would be really useful if I could somehow upgrade the trigger to achieve a feel somewhat akin to a Bullseye gun which I could then use for dryfire practice. I'm not expecting it to match a Eulette trigger job, but something 2lbs plus and reasonably consistent.

I could equally well have bought a 1911 clone, but at the time I bought it on a whim and the black CZ with sparkly blue grips was attractive (careful JB!). So today I sent an email to Cajun Gun Works, they offer a drop in trigger kit for about $250 (about double the cost of the BB gun!), but I'm willing to pay that to get the result I'm looking for - I can always bring it back here and sell it on if nothing fits.

So. Since I know that there are several others lurking on this forum who could also be accused of being on the edge of lunacy, anyone got any bright ideas?

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Converting a BB gun for dry fire Empty Re: Converting a BB gun for dry fire

Post by RodJ Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:59 pm

Somewhere Dave Salyer’s writings are available I think in the library section of this website. He writes of having purchased a toy 1911 and practiced his trigger work for a long work stay in red China. Forgot the details but unless Dave was crazy, your idea doesn’t make you crazy.  Just be careful and dead certain of the local laws.

EDIT be damn sure that taking the trigger group out of the country would not violate US export laws on weapons and parts(!)

RodJ

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:54 pm

Brittney Griner is probably looking for company in the Russkie gulag……LaughingLaughingLaughing
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:04 pm

Hmmm. TonyH. Unless I'm reading the wrong news, I guess that BG would be less than impressed by an old, fat, bald, MALE, cell mate.

But, don't sweat, surprisingly, I'm actually VERY cautious about breaking any USA Federal Laws - primarily because it would instantly kill my immigration rights.

I got a predicable and sensible response from CJW - they doubt very much that one of their kits would work.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:10 pm

From the few bb/pellets type pistols that I have handled, they are specifically made to be difficult to convert into a viable firearm, and have different trigger mechanisms entirely.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:17 pm

TonyH wrote:Brittney Griner is probably looking for company in the Russkie gulag……LaughingLaughingLaughing

Nah..., Tony!  They don't send people to GULAG these days.  Instead they give them AKM74s at the exit from the transport planes landed somewhere in Ukraine.  Ammo is given after planes left.  Smile

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:20 pm

Chris, yes, fair comment. I've never actually looked at the mechanism, much less taken a photo. I'm expecting that the best I might manage is to somehow insert a heavier coil spring somewhere and just stiffen up the pull weight a little. We'll see, I will go back next month and will have plenty of time to fiddle with it.

Thanks for all of the useful comments (Oh, and thanks for your comments TonyH!!!).

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:25 pm

lol! …..hope they have decent triggers!
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down