Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When to rebuild 1911 Wad gun

5 posters

Go down

When to rebuild 1911 Wad gun Empty When to rebuild 1911 Wad gun

Post by Rodger Barthlow 11/29/2022, 5:27 pm

I have one of the last SA custom shop 1911s Les Bear built. Came with signed documentation by Les and instructions not to disassemble before it had at least 500 rounds of hard ball ammo shot thru it for break in. I have lost count on how many rounds of bullseye loads that has been put thru the pistol but have started to see diminishing accuracy probably due to barrel bushing wear, I can't detect any slide to frame looseness, but the rails will cut you if you're not careful. Normal Maintenace of springs sear and hammer replacement has been done. Jerry Keefer replaced the hammer and sear years ago.
Is it time for a new barrel bushing since the one in it is the original fitted by Les Bear?
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

When to rebuild 1911 Wad gun Empty Re: When to rebuild 1911 Wad gun

Post by Kp321 11/29/2022, 5:34 pm

I am thrifty by nature so I would fit a new bushing before condemning the barrel. Take some good measurements  and order a fitted bushing from EGW. Not much money compared to a new barrel. 
Just my opinion.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 11/29/2022, 7:25 pm

First, inspect the barrel itself, check if rifling is good, the chamber looks good, see if there's any traces of peening or deforming in the upper and lower lugs, and if not, then what Kp321 said, just measure your barrel and slide and order a custom bushing from EGW.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 11/29/2022, 8:24 pm

I'd probably Ransom Rest it first to see what its doing.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 11/29/2022, 8:29 pm

Since it’s a Baer gun, I’d look at the bottom barrel lug radius for battering; flat spots on the front radius. Look on the slide stop pin for similar flat spots. Caused from too short of barrel link. Acts like speed bump when going into battery, so pistol doesn’t go into battery smoothly/consistently. Causes vertical stringing.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 11/30/2022, 5:27 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Since it’s a Baer gun, I’d look at the bottom barrel lug radius for battering; flat spots on the front radius. Look on the slide stop pin for similar flat spots. Caused from too short of barrel link. Acts like speed bump when going into battery, so pistol doesn’t go into battery smoothly/consistently. Causes vertical stringing.
Jon
Jon I sent you a PM
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 11/30/2022, 8:39 pm

Rodger sent me some pics of the slide stop pin and barrel/link. As I suspected, the link was too short and the front radius of the bottom lugs possibly not clearanced properly. The result is battered/flattened bottom lug radius and battered/flattened slide stop pin. It causes a speed bump that will allow erratic cycling leading to poor accuracy.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

chopper and DA/SA like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 11/30/2022, 8:53 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Rodger sent me some pics of the slide stop pin and barrel/link. As I suspected, the link was too short and the front radius of the bottom lugs possibly not clearanced properly. The result is battered/flattened bottom lug radius and battered/flattened slide stop pin. It causes a speed bump that will allow erratic cycling leading to poor accuracy.
Jon
Thanks for your help Jon and pointing me in the right direction
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down