Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inexpensive Bore Scope?

+3
SteveT
tovaert
Chase Turner
7 posters

Go down

Inexpensive Bore Scope? Empty Inexpensive Bore Scope?

Post by Chase Turner Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:13 am

Hello,

I'm curious to know what people may have found or are currently using for a sub $100 bore scope (if any). Feel free to reply or PM if you'd prefer.

Thanks,
Chase

Chase Turner

Back to top Go down

Inexpensive Bore Scope? Empty Re: Inexpensive Bore Scope?

Post by tovaert Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:37 am

Teslong is what I have. Very nice for the money. I don't think it will fit inside a .177 barrel though...if that matters.

tovaert

Cmysix likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:21 pm

tovaert wrote:Teslong is what I have. Very nice for the money. I don't think it will fit inside a .177 barrel though...if that matters.
+1. Teslong works reasonably well. There are occasions when the limitations of the digital image (granularity, glare, dark patches etc) prevent seeing everything I think I could with an optical borescope like the Hawkeye but the difference in price is not worth it to me.

I got the cheapest USB version. It works just fine, but if I replace it I will go wireless. Setting up and operating the laptop while cleaning firearms is less than ideal. A phone or tablet wrapped in Saran Wrap would be less hassle. I suppose the ones with the built in display would be easier still, but most cheap displays suck (full disclosure, I've never actually seen one in person)

There is a running joke in the rifle community that borescopes are subsidized by barrel makers and cleaning supplies manufacturers because people see problems that aren't actually there. Many accurate barrels look bad. Many terrible barrels look beautiful. Clean until accuracy returns, don't clean until it looks pretty in a borescope. Crackling, carbon and copper are only bad if it affects accuracy.

I have put my Teslong down a short barrel or two out of curiosity, but don't use it for pistol. Clean until it functions reliably and is accurate. Don't worry too much about how it looks.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Cmysix likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:12 pm

yep the teslong has been around long enough to have a proven record. check them on Amazon.

I found it valuable to me when I was re-barreling rifles, to be able to check the throat area after finish reaming..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Inexpensive Bore Scope? Empty Teslong borescope

Post by Al Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:15 pm

There is a running joke in the rifle community that borescopes are subsidized by barrel makers and cleaning supplies manufacturers because people see problems that aren't actually there. Many accurate barrels look bad. Many terrible barrels look beautiful. Clean until accuracy returns, don't clean until it looks pretty in a borescope. Crackling, carbon and copper are only bad if it affects accuracy

Agreed:

I've had mine for a few years. And agree fully. They are quite handy for bore exams. Just don't take the info as a reason to eliminate every trace of copper/carbon fouling. I've used mine to establish MY maximum case length in MY long guns. Also let's me keep track of throat erosion.
Allen

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:35 pm

I have had both Teslong and Hawkeye scopes. The resolution on the Hawkeye is a little better, but not much. Sure not enough better to justify the price difference plus the recording availability is a real plus. A friend has the Lyman scope with attached display, the resolution is not too great compared to an iPad or iPhone.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:35 pm

I have a Teslong "pistol" model, it's only about 10" long. I mainly use it for inspecting my .22 chambers and their forward cone area, and I agree it works great - especially for the price.

Because electronically it's just a USB camera, it's pretty easy to use. The USB connector is a bit cheesy though. It's got a nice bright light and crisp mirrors, sized for .22 through .45.

Unfortunately, the pistol version doesn't seem to be available any more. Sad Using a rifle length would be a challenge.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:55 pm

They still list the 10" pistol scope for $38 on their website.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:17 am

Oh, so they do! The WiFi pistol model has been unavailable on Amazon for some time.

But the Teslong website lists both, and $38 for the USB is a smoking deal. Amazon is listing for $50.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down