Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grip Pressure for Anatomical Grip

+3
tovaert
NukeMMC
paulj
7 posters

Go down

Grip Pressure for Anatomical Grip Empty Grip Pressure for Anatomical Grip

Post by paulj Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:51 am

I have a new Match Gun MG2 and the anatomical grip is a very new experience for me.  Should I typically grip a pistol with an anatomical grip as firmly as I grip a 1911?  It feels awkward and unnatural when I grip the MG that firmly.

paulj

Back to top Go down

Grip Pressure for Anatomical Grip Empty Re: Grip Pressure for Anatomical Grip

Post by NukeMMC Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:00 am

I learned to grip a 1911 ball gun like I was picking up a gallon of milk.  Even but firm pressure.
With the 22 and an ergo grip, shooting bullseye and sustained fire, I use a moderate grip on the forestrap, slight forward pressure with the heel of my hand and consistent thumb placement, not pressure.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:53 am

On my MG2, I don't grip it too firmly. The width of your hand increases as you close your grip. Thus you can adjust the palm shelf so your hand feels a bit "squeezed" as you close your grip. I feel that is sufficient for a .22. There are ways to remove/add grip material if the fit is not that great. Mine fits quite well so I have not pursued that process. I advise against holding it too firmly (I start to shake). Spend the time working on getting the trigger shoe (position, angle, etc.) set up where you coordinate your grip, w/take-up, sear engagement, and over travel: what works best to RELIABLY keep the sights aligned throughout the shot process? This pistol has taken me quite a bit of time to get set up since before that I only shot Ruger MK and S&W 41 pistols (with their limited adjustability). It's a trial and error process for the most part.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:37 pm

Personally I try to apply most of the pressure on the grip with my middle finger and the back of my palm. Only light pressure is on pinky and thumb, just so that it is in contact with the grip. It is especially important when you shoot air pistol and free pistol because even a slight change of the pressure can move your point of impact and cost you two or three points.
Strictly IMHO, of course.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:15 pm

99.9% of all orthopedic grips do not fit your hand, or anybody else’s for that matter.
Grips should be modified to fit your hand. 
I battled with grip issues when I was shooting free and air pistol back in the day. I carved, bondo’d  and tried everything unsuccessfully. I finally met Cesare Morini and had some grips made personally fit to my hand. I actually learned a lot watching him make the grips to my hand. Three grips made, three personal best shot with each grip at next match. Yes it makes that much difference.
Ok so you have what you have. Finding right grip pressure isn’t too hard, but learning about fingertip and thumb pressure takes some practice.
Aiming at a blank wall, using firm grip pressure, add fingertip pressure and remove fingertip pressure. Watch your dot/front sight. You will see it move left or right with the fingertip pressure changes. You have to try and figure out the middle ground pressure and be consistent. Now try the same thing with your thumb; add/remove pressure. 
You should record this in a notebook. It will help you make quick corrections during training and matches. 
My MG2 factory grip; at 50 yds adding fingertip pressure moved red dot into 7 ring at 9 o’clock. No grip pressure was 7 ring at 3 o’clock. Good consistent pressure was 10 ring.
I had Rink duplicate my custom Morini grip for my MG2. Now my pressure changes all stay within the 10 ring. Yes it makes that much difference having true custom grip from someone who really know what they are doing.
I grip it as hard as my 1911.
Good luck.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

chopper, Thin Man and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:38 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:
I grip it as hard as my 1911.
Good luck.
Jon
 Jon you're basically talking about the 2 fingers and not pinky or very little if we use it, and the backstrap. Correct? 
Thank you.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:41 pm

God have us a pinky finger, use it to its fullest!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

chopper and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:29 am

Jon Eulette wrote:Aiming at a blank wall, using firm grip pressure, add fingertip pressure and remove fingertip pressure. Watch your dot/front sight. You will see it move left or right with the fingertip pressure changes. You have to try and figure out the middle ground pressure and be consistent. Now try the same thing with your thumb; add/remove pressure. 
You should record this in a notebook. It will help you make quick corrections during training and matches. 
My MG2 factory grip; at 50 yds adding fingertip pressure moved red dot into 7 ring at 9 o’clock. No grip pressure was 7 ring at 3 o’clock. Good consistent pressure was 10 ring.
Adding fingertip pressure when gripping firmly...I'm confused. Is the fingertip pressure the same as applying pressure when pulling the trigger back? Or gripping with a straight trigger finger, then moving the trigger finger to the trigger pad, and reverse? Thumb pressure seems more obvious since the thumb doesn't move much after gripping.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:49 am

If you think about it, the natural position of the hand is slightly closed position. So it’s natural for fingers to be closing the grip. Anytime I grip my pistol my trigger finger is in the guard about to rest on the trigger. It is a forced position to point the trigger finger outside the guard. We’re BE shooters, not a SWAT entry team concerned with trigger finger discipline. Our guns are pointed up and down range in safe manner.
My trigger finger as much as possible is always independent of the gripping fingers.
So I have my gripping fingertip pressure. I also have trigger finger pressure that is/will be applied to the trigger during the aiming process as well as squeezing the trigger. My trigger finger pressure adds stability to my hold!
I hope this answers your questions?
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:01 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:If you think about it, the natural position of the hand is slightly closed position. So it’s natural for fingers to be closing the grip. Anytime I grip my pistol my trigger finger is in the guard about to rest on the trigger. It is a forced position to point the trigger finger outside the guard. We’re BE shooters, not a SWAT entry team concerned with trigger finger discipline. Our guns are pointed up and down range in safe manner.
My trigger finger as much as possible is always independent of the gripping fingers.
So I have my gripping fingertip pressure. I also have trigger finger pressure that is/will be applied to the trigger during the aiming process as well as squeezing the trigger. My trigger finger pressure adds stability to my hold!
Jon
 I tried the tips on-tips off to get a better feeling for any movement in the sights and that helped with my grip by locking my wrist better.
 I like the trigger pressure or pressuring the trigger, keeps me from snatching a shot and keeping the sustained firing smoother. Maybe that's why I'm liking the roll trigger much more, it's not that I know when the hammer drops, it's easier to educate my finger pressure. 
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:19 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:If you think about it, the natural position of the hand is slightly closed position. So it’s natural for fingers to be closing the grip. Anytime I grip my pistol my trigger finger is in the guard about to rest on the trigger. It is a forced position to point the trigger finger outside the guard. We’re BE shooters, not a SWAT entry team concerned with trigger finger discipline. Our guns are pointed up and down range in safe manner.
Jon
Yep...thanks!

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:47 pm

More pure gold.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content