Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gearing up first time at Camp Perry

5 posters

Go down

Gearing up first time at Camp Perry Empty Gearing up first time at Camp Perry

Post by DGW 12/18/2022, 8:46 pm

This year I went to Camp Perry for the first time.  I shot rifle in the Unlimited Military class. Now Im hooked.  Ive been shooting Bulleye indoor for a few years. Now I want to get started in outdoor matches. My Uncle Bill lived and breathed bulleye. For him a Gold Cup was the holly grail so I picked up a Gold cup Trophy the other day. My first question is ammo SWC and jacketed, second is what class to fire in and do I need a rimfire, will my Walther GSP 22 be legal ?

DGW

Back to top Go down

Gearing up first time at Camp Perry Empty Re: Gearing up first time at Camp Perry

Post by SteveT 12/18/2022, 10:43 pm

Yes, you will want a 22 pistol, otherwise you have to sit out 1/3 of the match. The GSP should be fine.

SWC or Jacketed is your own preference. Most of the top dogs shoot jacketed hollow point because its maybe a little bit more accurate. In reality for most of us the difference is negligible. Get a good load for your gun and shoot it. 

The one exception is service pistol matches have to be fired with jacketed ammo.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Gearing up first time at Camp Perry Empty Re: Gearing up first time at Camp Perry

Post by CR10X 12/19/2022, 6:52 am

Camp Perry will be a CMP match.  Get the appropriate rule book and get started reading first.  

https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/2022PistolRules.pdf

You will have the option of shooting several types of pistol matches (EIC, Presidents and Match Pistol with Service Pistol Match Pistol and/ or .22, etc.).  

The equipment, shooting raise process, and ammunition requirements are different for the various matches. Your classification and other related questions will be answered as well (or quite possibly a bunch of other questions will arise).  

Make a list and post here as they come up and the resources on this site will help you find the answers (sometimes). 

CR

CR10X

Arthur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba 12/19/2022, 7:29 am

If you don't reload 45 Auto, Wilson Combat has remanufactured 45 200 gr LSWC load at about 770 fps.
45 ACP | 200 gr. GLC L-SWC | 770 FPS - 5" Barrel (shopwilsoncombat.com)

It functions well in my recent production Colt Gold Cup.

Atlanta Arms has a 185 gr JHP at about 800 fps, only cases of that load available right now.
45 ACP | 185GR JHP | Elite Ammo (atlantaarms.com)

I used to shoot (many years ago), the Winchester and Remington 45 185 gr JSWC.
Now only Federal lists that load, I have not seen any of it available in the last year except a few boxes sold here.
Buy Gold Medal Handgun for USD 72.99 | Federal Ammunition (federalpremium.com)

Norma Shooting DOT Com has had the 45 Auto 230 gr FMJ loads on sale recently at about $22.19 / 50, free shipping at $149.00.
.45 Auto Ammo Deal - View our inventory today! | Norma Shooting

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Post by WRH56 12/19/2022, 8:00 pm

Do not know where you are located, but to find "outdoor matches" you can search the forum, use "Match Directing/Administrating & Promoting our sport" or "Announcements or Promotions" topics.  Here are a couple additional links that may be helpful:

From the CMP website (2023-2025 National Match calendar):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uCgLkHYEv4XWO1GXwGy3aoQfICXkFh1dms9-NqWNB6U/edit#gid=1155438217

NJ Pistol is also a good resource (there is a link to matches on the left side of the page): http://www.njpistol.com/

As CR suggested, get and read the CMP Rulebook (to know what you are jumping in to).  Most bullseye shooters will gladly answer your questions, some may even let you borrow a gun or ammo if there is an issue (happened to me a couple of times).  Wish you luck.

Last edited by WRH56 on 12/19/2022, 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clean up)
WRH56
WRH56

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down