Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sight alignment and the rear sight width.

5 posters

Go down

Sight alignment and the rear sight width. Empty Sight alignment and the rear sight width.

Post by r_zerr Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:56 pm

On Sunday I took a S&W .45ACP to the range. What seemed very noticeable was the very visible gaps between the front sight and the rear sight. I always felt that I was struggling with sight alignment on my 1911 with Bomar rear and .125" wide front.

So I broke out the Scatt and dryfired. I noticed my hold from one shot to the other was not consistent. I broke out a Swiss file and took about .010" off of both sides of the rear notch. I know have visible gap that I'm not struggling to see.

I dryfired some more and the previous inconsistencies are gone. 

It makes me wonder if others are struggling with this and dont know it. I dont recall this detail really being discussed here. 

I'm interested to hear others thoughts or experiences.
-Ron

r_zerr

Multiracer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Sight alignment and the rear sight width. Empty Re: Sight alignment and the rear sight width.

Post by rsp Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:01 am

I'm just a sharpshooter but I'm pretty sure I like big sights in general.

My Steyr LP50 Compact air pistol came with a 4.5mm (~.180") front sight and a 4mm rear sight notch (~.160"). And I definitely like that sight picture better than anything I can get on an adjustable sight service pistol.

Bear in mind that the sight radius on the LP50 is much longer than a 1911 which makes that .180" front look a little smaller. So to get roughly the same sight picture on a 1911 you'd use a .160" width for both the rear notch and front post. That's quite a bit bigger than the Kensight Bo-Mar which is a .125" front and .112" rear.

I suspect most pistol sights are really designed for a two-handed hold. When you bring the sights closer to the eye with two hands, you enlarge the apparent size of the front sight *and* the apparent gaps alongside it. So that makes smaller, tighter sights make sense, but when you hold them in a bullseye stance it's another story. I also have fairly long arms (armspan of 6'3") which makes the effect of holding those little sights at arm's length even worse.

rsp

Back to top Go down

Sight alignment and the rear sight width. Empty Re: Sight alignment and the rear sight width.

Post by Wobbley Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:11 am

If the rear notch is too narrow, the light can refract and small misalignments of the blade to the notch can be masked.  So it’s best to have a wider notch than narrower.  A reasonable “rule of thumb” is a notch that appears to be 1.5 times wider than the blade.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by r_zerr Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:31 pm

That refraction situation appeared to be the exact effect. I have watched it among people using peep sights on a rifle so I knew what it was.

It just made me wonder how many people are being effected by it in pistol, especially since I dont see that aspect in discussion, along with how people do have sight alignment problems.

r_zerr

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:14 pm

rsp nals it! Smith rear sights are notoriously narrow.

Wider is better than too tight.

Few people REALLY understand irons these days. Sights; somewhere around page 53

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down