Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bullet puller

+8
PhotoEscape
NuJudge
RoyDean
Rodger Barthlow
Jack H
Al
bullseyebill
chuckt5247
12 posters

Go down

Bullet puller Empty Bullet puller

Post by chuckt5247 10/12/2013, 1:37 pm

What is the best bullet puller for SWC 45 bullets?

chuckt5247

Back to top Go down

Bullet puller Empty Re: Bullet puller

Post by bullseyebill 10/13/2013, 7:35 pm

I use one of these for my oops's .
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/215517/frankford-arsenal-impact-bullet-puller

bullseyebill

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 10/14/2013, 9:45 am

I had a similar one for 5-6 years, one of those things you buy just in case, either a Frankford or one made by them for Midway.  It was just fine until I had to use it on a run of 45's I decided to pull.  It lasted less than 1/2 a box.  Midway wouldn't warranty it as it was over a year old, didn't make a difference that it hadn't been used once during that time.  I picked up an RCBS and finished off that lot of 250 rounds.  I'd look at the RCBS, I've never had an issue with warranty with them.
Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 10/14/2013, 10:14 am

The metal handle one broke on me.  I now use the all plastic one.

Tip:  Hit face to face with a dead blow hammer.  One in each hand.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 10/14/2013, 7:23 pm

Cullet bullet puller you use in your single stage press is less messy and you can save the powder to use again.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 3/8/2022, 7:24 pm

OK - resurrecting an old thread.

I find that the inertia (hammer type) pullers need quite a lot of effort and can be hard on arm.

I have been directed towards the collet type pullers that would typically be mounted in a single stage press - which, conveniently, I already have.

Brownells have both the RCBS and the Hornady - their page suggests that they prefer the Hornady. Cost is similar.

What say the wise men of the Forum?

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge 3/8/2022, 7:32 pm

A collet puller works great on jacketed rifle bullets, which have a lot of bullet exposed, and the bullets resist deformation.  A lot of our loads here don't have much bullet exposed, and a lot of the bullets are soft.  Inertial may leave a soft bullet load-able.  

I see there being a place for both inertial and collet.

NuJudge

Al and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 3/8/2022, 7:48 pm

I use hammer on WC bullets only, and in rare occasions when I can't remove cast lead bullet with collete due to tight crimp.  Otherwise I use smaller caliber collete (i.e. 338) to pull 45 ACP SWC bullets grabbing them by as close as possible to shoulder.  Bullets removed this way are still usable, but they go on training ammo only.  I use RCBS pullet for much longer than Hornady became available.  So I don't know how these two compare........., and I do not have a need for comparison.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 3/9/2022, 12:34 am

I have an RCBS Hammer type puller, seems to work fine. Works best if you use it on a concrete floor or the anvil of a heavy vise.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve in MI 3/9/2022, 7:47 am

The collet bullet puller requires something for the collet to grip. Works good on bullet that have a long enough straight side for the collet (think about how the chuck on a drill works).  On lead bullets they tend to deform the bullet as you have to tighten them enough to hold.  The Hornady collet puller is faster and easier on the hands then the RCBS.

When using an inertia style puller a piece of foam at the bottom will cushion the bullet when it hits the end of the tube thus reducing any deformation.

A third option is a large pair of wire cutters or lineman's pliers with the wire cutter.  You use your reloading press with no die in the hole.  Put the cartridge in the shell holder raise it up till the bullet is above the hole in the press grab the bullet with the wire cutters squeeze tight lower press handle.  The wire cutter will stop at the top of the press holding the bullet.  This method is fast, powder and case are saved, bullet is scrap.

Steve in MI

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 3/9/2022, 8:18 am

Inertial, any make.
What steve said about a cushion, be it foam or tissue.

The inertial collets are the weak link, use shellholders from a single stage press.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 3/9/2022, 8:32 am

I have both collet and inertia. As far as pistols the collet will only work on FMJ's and then sometimes not always. I get better results with the inertia puller with pistol bullets. I hit mine against a 5lb lead ingot instead of my work bench or the floor. I did break mine which is a RCBS. No questions asked, They sent me a new one no charge. That's customer service!

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 3/9/2022, 1:41 pm

I sold my 375H&H.  That left me with 15 loaded rounds from which I just now pulled the bullets.  I used the Dillon hammer.  On my deadblow hammer's metal face, the Dillon took 5-6 whacks to remove the bullet.  On the cement step in the garage, Dillon took 2 whacks.
The deadblow hammer works much better on lead bullet removal. 

For pulling old military bullets, we used a die with spring loaded sharp jaws inside.  It's a one way push through by design.  Works great if you do not want to save the bullets.  I would hate to get my nose caught in it.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve in MI 3/9/2022, 2:43 pm

On military bullets where they may have used sealant and rounds that have been sitting around for years seating the bullet a tiny bit can break the seal and make the job MUCH easier.

Steve in MI

bruce martindale and troystaten like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down