Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wadgun ball gun?

+13
SingleActionAndrew
Jon Eulette
Wobbley
tovaert
shoot308
Al
Orion
chiz1180
John Dervis
CR10X
lonegunman
RoyDean
Cmysix
17 posters

Go down

Wadgun ball gun? Empty Wadgun ball gun?

Post by Cmysix 1/8/2023, 10:00 am

What makes one a  wad gun and what makes a ball gun?
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Wadgun ball gun? Empty Re: Wadgun ball gun?

Post by RoyDean 1/8/2023, 10:18 am

Ball gun essentially means a Service Pistol as defined in the CMP Rule Book. Please download a copy of the latest version from the CMP website. Basically a Center-fire semi-auto with iron sights and standard grips. Typically a 9mm or 45ACP, but latest rules have widened caliber choice. Originally required military "ball" ammo, past several years "jacketed" bullets, new 2023 rules allow lead.

Wad gun essentially means a gun that complies with NRA Precision Pistol rules and is used in NRA (or CMP) 2700 matches. Trigger pull a little lighter. Any sights. Some folks use irons, but most use red dots. The name comes from use of wadcutter bullets - actually, in a 45ACP, that means lead semi-wadcutter type bullets - which can typically be loaded a lot "softer" than Ball ammo and still be very accurate. Although many folks use Jacketed Hollow Point bullets in their "wad" guns, especially for 50 yard slow fire stage.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by lonegunman 1/8/2023, 10:23 am

They have reduced the ball gun requirements drastically over the last few years.  You no longer need to be a manly person to shoot it.  The iron sight requirement is all that is left over from the days when men were men.

If you have an iron sight wad gun with a 4 pound trigger and powder puff ammo you are good to go.  "Jacketed ammo" is still required for a ball gun so hand load some light wad loads and you are golden.
lonegunman
lonegunman

8eightring likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 1/8/2023, 11:56 am

Ya gotta keep up.  Jacketed ammo is no longer required.   See new CMP rule change topic.

With the new CMP rule changes, the main difference between and Wad and Ball gun now is the Ball Gun has be between 9mm and .45 caliber; and must have 4 pound trigger, open sights and max 5.5 inch barrel.  
Looks like everything else is just a matter of how much money you want to spend.

Last edited by CR10X on 1/8/2023, 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

CR10X

lonegunman and Multiracer like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 1/8/2023, 1:36 pm

Cmysix wrote:What makes one a  wad gun and what makes a ball gun?

Back in your dad’s era the distinction between the two was pretty easy

A Ballgun or Hardball gun was a 1911 with iron sights, flat grips and a few internal modifications but the outside of the gun was supposed to look pretty much like the 1911 as it was issued to our military. No heavy ribs, no beavertail safeties, no full length guide rod etc.  You only had one choice of ammunition which was 230 grain fmj loaded to military spec which was referred to as “ball”.

You will also see these referred to as Service Pistols.

A wad gun is typically also a 1911 but it can have quite a few modifications to make it easier to shoot.  Better sights, weighted ribs on the slide (first these had iron sights built in but later dot sights became the standard), beavertail safeties, anatomical grips, lighter trigger weight etc.  There are rules to follow but many modifications have been tried. Ammunition has few restrictions other than it needs to be “safe” so wadguns shoot lighter bullets and lighter powder chargers to make them more accurate at 50 yards and easier to recover during recoil at 25 yards.  

If you are into car racing at all a Ballgun would be your street car that you take out to the track and run it like it came off the showroom floor.  A wad gun is the “stock car” that sort of looks like the car when it first started but is heavily modified for racing.  

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 1/10/2023, 11:19 am

CR10X wrote:Ya gotta keep up.  Jacketed ammo is no longer required.   See new CMP rule change topic.

With the new CMP rule changes, the main difference between and Wad and Ball gun now is the Ball Gun has be between 9mm and .45 caliber; and must have 4 pound trigger, open sights and max 5.5 inch barrel.  
Looks like everything else is just a matter of how much money you want to spend.
Also a maximum weight of 42oz. 

For those who would like to look at the rule books, here is a link. Service Pistol rules start on page 35 of the pistol rule book.
https://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-competitions-rulebooks/
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Orion 1/10/2023, 2:34 pm

Rules are pretty clear here

Last edited by Orion on 1/22/2023, 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Orion
Orion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oriondarley/

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 1/10/2023, 3:03 pm

I legged out in 2003 & still have my ball gun.  

That being said, if I'm reading correctly, if I had a disabled ball gun I could pull the dot off my wad gun (assuming a 4# trigger weight) and shoot it for an EIC match, as it has a Rock River combo rib on it.

Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by shoot308 1/10/2023, 8:30 pm

From what I understand the combo rib is legal for EIC.

shoot308

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 1/14/2023, 11:29 am

Now there's the question of the pistol being under the 42 oz weight limit. I thought about buying the combo rail, I'm glad I did not. Does anyone have one installed, that comes in under 42 oz?

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by lonegunman 1/16/2023, 11:05 am

Back in the olden days a Wad Gun had a 3.5 pound trigger, a ball gun had a 4 pound trigger.  

A wad gun has a 12 pound recoil spring because the ammo is very soft, a ball gun had a 16-18 pound recoil spring because full power 45 ammo was manly as hell and required a stronger spring.

A wad gun can have optical sights, a ball gun had manly iron sights.

A wad gun can have a thumb rest grip or ergonomic grip, a ball gun had manly wooden slabs.

A ball gun essentially looked like an issued 1911 with different sights and was not allowed to have extra stippling or rubber grips or extended sight radius or any of that stuff.

Sadly, as more soy and estrogen are added to foods and all genders grow breasts and cry during sad movies, they ave softened up the Ball gun to be a wad type firearm.  This way men with soft girly hands and supple breasts can enjoy the sport as well.  As we moved "beyond meat" we moved beyond full powered ammo and brisk recoil.

Glad to help.............................. Wadgun ball gun? 1f602
lonegunman
lonegunman

expendable, Jon Eulette, chopper and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 1/16/2023, 12:52 pm

So where does this person fit?  
Wadgun ball gun? 4beb9e10
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 1/16/2023, 12:56 pm

She’s going to fall in love with the sport and realize she needs a 1911 to achieve her goals of kicking men’s asses and earning her distinguished badge!
I’d gladly build her a fast twist barreled pistol shooting extra soft powder puff loads and coach her to her success. 
Long live women shooters!
All kidding aside, the more women the better.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

chopper, djperry2, Foundryratjim, Single_handed and Cmysix like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 1/16/2023, 12:59 pm

But will the 1911 be a 45 or a 9mm?  I say she needs both….
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

lonegunman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 1/16/2023, 1:08 pm

Here’s my 1969 Colt 45acp Kit Gun with 1:12 fast twist barrel. 3.0 BE 185 holds X-ring with good bullets. Softer recoil than 9mm and bigger bullet to kiss scoring rings. New CMP rules just opened the door for guns like this.
She won’t need a 9mm and 45 is cheaper to shoot and not as finicky to reload.
Win, win, win!!!
JonWadgun ball gun? 4c790d10
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

chopper, Wobbley and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lonegunman 1/16/2023, 4:23 pm

Does she have hands like Andre the Giant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snu_twxPW5s

She fits in just fine, women shooters are awesome, I married one.  Having spent a considerable amount of time coaching, I can tell you that unlike most male shooters, a woman shooter can actually follow instructions, lol.  The beauty of bullseye is that anyone can enjoy the sport with a modest amount of equipment and a little spare time.  I wish more people participated in my area.  I have to drive 35 miles to shoot anything organized because the nearest range does not support any approved matches and they have removed or destroyed all the turing targets both indoor and outdoor.
lonegunman
lonegunman

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 1/16/2023, 6:08 pm

I will be shooting Nosler 230gr JHPs in my SP ballgun regardless. I might be at a disadvantage, but it gives me joy.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Joe Morgan and shanneba like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 1/16/2023, 8:33 pm

lonegunman wrote:Does she have hands like Andre the Giant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snu_twxPW5s

She fits in just fine, women shooters are awesome, I married one.  Having spent a considerable amount of time coaching, I can tell you that unlike most male shooters, a woman shooter can actually follow instructions, lol.  The beauty of bullseye is that anyone can enjoy the sport with a modest amount of equipment and a little spare time.  I wish more people participated in my area.  I have to drive 35 miles to shoot anything organized because the nearest range does not support any approved matches and they have removed or destroyed all the turing targets both indoor and outdoor.
 Exactly what my local range did 14 years ago when some members got the action shooting bug. I have to drive a minimum of 2 hours and usually 4+ hours to shoot approved matches.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Grunt 1/17/2023, 5:05 pm

Lol, I've lost count of the amount of times "manly" was used when describing a ball-gun here and in other posts.

Grunt

Grunt

oreotsi, Dcforman and msmith44 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 1/17/2023, 6:51 pm

...all being said, yesteryear there were no required qualifying scores shooting the manly guns and ammo. At least with current trends in rule accommodations there are minimum qualifying scores. I think with Service Pistol that is now 250/300. How many got Distinguished who shot well below 250? 

In other words one must be able to shoot a little more accurately contrasted with yesteryear. The top shooters will shoot either, well. They demonstrate that time and time again with their .22 and .45 scores not being that far apart.

What we need is more people shooting Precision Pistol and the organizers are trying to come up with ways to meet that. They should be commended for trying. I think they are succeeding. 

My .02
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

chiz1180 and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix 1/18/2023, 3:25 pm

I’m really glad I started this conversation, now I really need to give some deep thought to manly men and girly man and where exactly I fit in? Are man buns in the rules?
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz 1/18/2023, 6:15 pm

lonegunman wrote:Having spent a considerable amount of time coaching, I can tell you that unlike most male shooters, a woman shooter can actually follow instructions, lol.  

Ain't this the truth. Men are born with the "John Wayne" gene; thinking they they already know how to shoot. Women listen and learn.

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz 1/18/2023, 6:26 pm

Cmysix wrote:I’m really glad I started this conversation, now I really need to give some deep thought to manly men and girly man and where exactly I fit in? Are man buns in the rules?

I shot next to Ruby Fox when she set the Women's 2700 record of 2660. Having never exceeded this score, guess I fit in the non-manly man category.
Man Buns - Check out Game of Thrones and what Sandor Clegane had to say about them. lol

Wes Lorenz

Cmysix likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 1/18/2023, 6:38 pm

Wes Lorenz wrote:
Cmysix wrote:I’m really glad I started this conversation, now I really need to give some deep thought to manly men and girly man and where exactly I fit in? Are man buns in the rules?

I shot next to Ruby Fox when she set the Women's 2700 record of 2660. Having never exceeded this score, guess I fit in the non-manly man category.
Plenty of women shoot better than men. Their is a elementary school teacher in my who calls local matches when she has the availability, she has retired from shooting but is distinguished and held a master card. 

Part of the reason that more women don't shoot is that a significant amount of people in this sport are not as welcoming as they probably should be, as can be seen by the nature of some of the comments specifically in this thread.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Orion, Joe Morgan and msmith44 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down