Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Novice question?

3 posters

Go down

Novice question? Empty Novice question?

Post by Cmysix 1/29/2023, 2:56 pm

As I have looked at 1911 frames I see you can buy them like usual with a ramp and you can buy them without,  why would I want ether or niether?
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Novice question? Empty Re: Novice question?

Post by JRV 1/29/2023, 4:37 pm

Non-ramped is standard.  If you have a non-ramped barrel fitted properly, on a frame with an in-spec feed ramp and mag catch, feeding good ammo out of good mags, it won’t make a difference.  For a .45, there’s really no benefit to one or the other.  It’s easier to find match-grade barrels in the standard layout. 

It can make a difference feeding 9mm hollowpoints.  9mm Luger is tapered.  When people shove 10 of them in a mag, the top couple rounds tend to want to nosedive because of the stacked case taper.  A Springfield-type ramped magazine, in conjunction with a ramped barrel, can give those bullets the best chance at feeding.

JRV

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve in Allentown 1/29/2023, 5:01 pm

JRV wrote:It can make a difference feeding 9mm hollowpoints.  9mm Luger is tapered.  When people shove 10 of them in a mag, the top couple rounds tend to want to nosedive because of the stacked case taper.

I completely agree that 9mm feeding in a 1911 can be an issue and that the right magazine design will go a long way to mitigating the problem.

However, I'm not a fan of ramped barrels.  The ramp cannot extend far enough down in the frame to catch every nose-diving round.  It's such an issue that "helper" ramps machined into the frame below the barrel ramp are becoming more common.

FWIW, I recently did some work on a complete Colt 5" 9mm slide assembly.  When I finished working on it I wanted to test fire it but without the pistol's frame I had to plop it on top of a Colt .45 frame to test fire it.  The 9mm barrel was of standard configuration as was the .45 frame.  This "Franken-gun" ran flawlessly.

To my recollection, ramped barrels came into vogue when the high-speed gamers started blowing out cases when they loaded their ammo beyond SAMMI spec.  The term "super-face" became common for guys who caught a face full of unburned powder when their overloaded ammo failed.  Guys began pleading with barrel manufacturers to make ramped barrels to contain the pressure of their hot-rodded ammo.  The manufacturers were happy to oblige.

Colt has never built ramped barrel pistols for any of their calibers including 9mm, 9x23, and 10mm.  I do not recall a hue and cry over their pistols blowing up with these rounds.  As long as reloads are kept within SAMMI specs and the pistols are built right there's no need for a ramped barrel in a 1911.
Novice question? ZDhV7zP

By way of comparison note how deep a correctly machined frame ramp is. It extends nearly to the bottom of the frame cut out for the slide stop.
Novice question? Mo0ZHVh
Steve in Allentown
Steve in Allentown

Jack H, randy86314, SingleActionAndrew and JRV like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down