Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Single Stroke Pnumatic Air Pistol

+7
Allgoodhits
UnGe
RodJ
chiz1180
javaduke
zanemoseley
Boxturtle
11 posters

Go down

Single Stroke Pnumatic Air Pistol Empty Single Stroke Pnumatic Air Pistol

Post by Boxturtle 1/31/2023, 2:14 pm

Hello Folks,

Can any of you fellows help me to get started in my search for a used air pistol?  I'm particularly interested in a single-stroke pneumatic gun, as I'm hopeful I can find a good one for less cost than the more modern PCP type.  What I need is to know what brands and models I should look for, and how much would be a fair price. 

Thank you, Tom
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Back to top Go down

Single Stroke Pnumatic Air Pistol Empty Re: Single Stroke Pnumatic Air Pistol

Post by zanemoseley 1/31/2023, 2:53 pm

The Daisy 747 and FAS 6004 are probably the most common models on the market today. If you can get a good used one for 2/3 of the new price you're doing pretty good.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 1/31/2023, 2:55 pm

If you absolutely require SSP pistol, my recommendation would be Air Venturi 46: https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-av-46m-match-air-pistol?m=5257
It is essentially a rebranded Izh-46M with some upgrades. I used to shoot an original Izh for some time before upgrading to Morini, and it was very accurate.
The major drawback of SSPs is that pumping up air after every shot slowly exhausts you, it's one thing if you only have to do it once, and a whole different thing if you have to do it 60+ times during a match. To me it is also a distraction, one more thing to take care of during my shot process. There is a reason why Olympians all use PCPs nowadays Smile

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 1/31/2023, 3:03 pm

I have an IZH-46m, it is a solid option. Pyramid Air has a version for sale. It is heavier than my 162, but once I readjust to it, I shoot it just as well. As Javaduke mentioned they are more tiring to shoot.

Last edited by chiz1180 on 1/31/2023, 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 1/31/2023, 3:06 pm

For competition, practice or fun? I’ve gone through a 747, FWB 100, Steyr Lp5 (co2 bulk fill), and IZH 46m. Weird as it may sound, overall the IZH fits my personal “wants” the best for my non competition fun / practice. I still have the LP5 too for the 5 shot mag option. It was a gunbroker used buy in need of resealing by Pilkington.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxturtle 1/31/2023, 3:19 pm

RodJ wrote:For competition, practice or fun? 

The airgun will be for practice.  My gun club is 30 miles away, and the 60-mile round trip restricts me to two or three practice session per week. 

Also, if possible I would like to add a dot sight to the airgun, so that it will be more like my bullseye guns.  On a gun like the Air Venturi AV-46 the exposed barrel is a tempting sight location.  I could make a clamp with a flat top that is drilled and tapped.  Would there be a danger of constricting the barrel with moderate pressure?

Reading the reviews, there are several complaints of broken grips, and unavailable seals which require frequent replacement.  Any comments?
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 1/31/2023, 3:27 pm

With the 46 style guns, you do need to keep the seals happy (little bit of pellgun oil from time to time) . The breach seals tend to pop out if you do not latch the breach when you fire.  I have a set of rinks on my IZH-46m, so I can't comment on the AV grips, other than they look to be better than what came on my IZH.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by UnGe 1/31/2023, 3:30 pm

Dot sight - you can buy something like https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1491840-REG/sun_optics_sm7900_izh_46_barrel_mount.html

As for seals, with proper storing (breech unlocked), you can run on the same seals for a very long time.

UnGe

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxturtle 1/31/2023, 3:39 pm

UnGe wrote:Dot sight - you can buy something like https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1491840-REG/sun_optics_sm7900_izh_46_barrel_mount.html

As for seals, with proper storing (breech unlocked), you can run on the same seals for a very long time.

I like dealing with B&H; they are top notch.
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

djperry2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxturtle 1/31/2023, 3:40 pm

chiz1180 wrote:With the 46 style guns, you do need to keep the seals happy (little bit of pellgun oil from time to time) . The breach seals tend to pop out if you do not latch the breach when you fire.  I have a set of rinks on my IZH-46m, so I can't comment on the AV grips, other than they look to be better than what came on my IZH.

How great is the cocking effort on the 46-style airguns?
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Back to top Go down

Post by UnGe 1/31/2023, 3:45 pm

Boxturtle wrote:
chiz1180 wrote:With the 46 style guns, you do need to keep the seals happy (little bit of pellgun oil from time to time) . The breach seals tend to pop out if you do not latch the breach when you fire.  I have a set of rinks on my IZH-46m, so I can't comment on the AV grips, other than they look to be better than what came on my IZH.

I personally do not even notice it, it happens subconsciously. Long cocking arm of 46 really helps.

UnGe

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 1/31/2023, 3:55 pm

Boxturtle wrote:

Depends on how much you want to shoot at at time 30-40 shots isn't too bad, much more I would rather shoot my 162. If I was shooting a 60 shot match and finals I would definitely notice the effort of the izzy.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 1/31/2023, 6:08 pm

Boxturtle wrote:Hello Folks,

Can any of you fellows help me to get started in my search for a used air pistol?  I'm particularly interested in a single-stroke pneumatic gun, as I'm hopeful I can find a good one for less cost than the more modern PCP type.  What I need is to know what brands and models I should look for, and how much would be a fair price. 

Thank you, Tom
What part of Virginia are you located?
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 1/31/2023, 6:49 pm

Some of the SSP's like the FAS are easier to cock but less FPS. Hard to beat a Steyr PCP but it's a fat pill to swallow for the checkbook.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Webb 1/31/2023, 10:38 pm

I have a Daisy 777. An upgrade from the 747. I have everything that came with it so I could answer any questions or give part numbers ect...

Dan Webb

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 2/1/2023, 12:04 am

My FAAS 6004 is a fun air pistol to shoot and has a nice trigger and great grips but because of the low velocity it is not competitive for air pistol matches.  The old Feinwerkbau FWB65's and FWB90 are a really nice side lever cocking air pistols but I don't know about the prices.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 2/1/2023, 3:26 pm

Hi Boxturtle,

I have an Air Venturi AV-46M, .177 cal pistol in prime condition that I'm willing to part with for a very reasonable price. PM me if you're interested.

Jim

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by 4th Corner Traveler 2/3/2023, 1:03 pm

A side thought is to look at one of the higher end, 12 gram, CO2 1911's, until you find the SSP.

Also, I believe (?) that at one time there was a scope mount for the 717, 747 & 777 pistols as they were used in the air gun silhouette competition.

Good Luck in your quest

4th Corner Traveler

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxturtle 2/3/2023, 1:07 pm

Oldshooter very kindly sold his AV-46M to me.  It is in excellent condition and is very accurate.  Thank you Jim!
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxturtle 2/3/2023, 1:08 pm

UnGe wrote:Dot sight - you can buy something like https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1491840-REG/sun_optics_sm7900_izh_46_barrel_mount.html

B&H has shipped one of these to me.  I'm looking forward to using it.
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down