Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things for Wife and Kids Around Atterbury

+7
james r chapman
Asa Yam
tovaert
Cmysix
SaraiEsq
shanneba
Soupy44
11 posters

Go down

Things for Wife and Kids Around Atterbury Empty Things for Wife and Kids Around Atterbury

Post by Soupy44 Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:16 am

I'm working on selling to my wife going to Atterbury since I know I can't make Perry this year.  I know plenty of things for them to do around Perry!

My kids are 1 and 4.  I'm guessing there is plenty in Indianapolis, but mainly curious about anything closer!

Thanks!

Soupy44

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Things for Wife and Kids Around Atterbury Empty Re: Things for Wife and Kids Around Atterbury

Post by shanneba Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:24 am

It has been a while since my Grandkids were that young-

You might look at things in Columbus Indiana.
They have a big indoor playground in the commons.

Guide to family fun things to do in Columbus, Indiana

The Ice cream shop is across from the Playground, been open since 1900- A good place to visit in July!
Zaharakos Ice Cream Parlor and Museum | Since 1900

About 5 miles west of Atterbury is an orchard called "Apple Works", They have farm animals and a playground.
The Apple Works (apple-works.com)

Franklin (About 15 miles North) has several parks and an indoor playground- Urban Air
Urban Air Adventure & Trampoline Park | Franklin, IN

There is a still operating 100 year old movie theater-
The Historic Artcraft Theatre | Franklin, Indiana - Movies / Events

There is also another Ice cream shop in an old small town Train station.
Featured Products (weebly.com)

Franklin has a Aquatic Center- and several other parks-
Map Viewer / City of Franklin Parks Department / Franklin, IN

Franklin Family Aquatic Center
Franklin Family Aquatic Center, opened May of 2013, is located next to the Cultural Arts & Recreation Center at the corner of South Street and Branigin Blvd. 
It offers an Olympic-sized pool with diving well, 190-foot water slide, a heated zero depth pool with a play structure including 16 interactive play features, 
water basketball, concession stand, and sun decks.

shanneba

Dan Webb, SaraiEsq and FimRire RongLifle like this post

Back to top Go down

Things for Wife and Kids Around Atterbury Empty Re: Things for Wife and Kids Around Atterbury

Post by SaraiEsq Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:41 pm

The Children's Museum in Indianapolis is a must-see.  It is the world's largest children's museum.  It is about 45 minutes from Atterbury, depending on traffic and the like.  

The town of Edinburgh has a lot of quaint things, plus an outlet mall (Indiana Premium Outlets) and an antique mall (Exit 76 Antique Mall).

Since I live in Indy, I'll see if I can find more activities in the area suitable for children and non-shooting spouses and post them here.  ;-)
SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:33 pm

I’d give the kids beach buckets and have them picking brass, just think you could pay for the trip.
Cmysix
Cmysix

x90rider and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:38 am

Riddle Point Park at Lake Lemon...a bit of a drive, but if it's hot...

Also Lake Monroe...nicer lake south of Bloomington.

tovaert

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraiEsq Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:39 pm

Asked around a bit and here are a few more things in the area.  I did expand the age range a bit when I asked because I hope this will be helpful to others coming to Nationals this summer (or thinking about it).

Tour Camp Atterbury itself

Columbus area
Commons Mall / Kids Commons
Blues Canoes
CERA Sports Park and Campground
Donner Park (public pool)
Mill Race Park
Columbus Architectural Tour
Columbus visitor's center has tons of stuff too
Typically there are concerts and the like in Columbus during the summer as well.

Brown County / Nashville Indiana
Brown County State Park
Nashville Express Train Tours
Covered bridges including Bean Blossom and Ramp Creek
Pioneer Museum (19th century pioneer village)
Copperhead Creek Gem Mine
Shopping, shopping, shopping in Nashville -- crafts, antiques, very cool
Art galleries including T.C. Steele State Historic Site
Indiana Raptor Center -- tours, bird rescue, sanctuary

Indianapolis area

Children's Museum

If you like cars ---
Indianapolis Motor Speedway & Museum
Dallara IndyCar Factory
Speedway Indoor Karting
Main street in the town of Speedway has other cool things to do too related to racing

Downtown Indy / Museums / History ...
--Almost all of these are in the mile square
Indiana Historical Society
Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art (often has kids activities)
NCAA Museum / Hall of Champions
Lucas Oil Stadium (not sure of tour availability)
Indiana History Museum (fun for kids!)
Indiana Medical History Museum (not-so-suitable for kids)
Indiana War Memorial and Museum (stunning!) / American Legion Park Mall
Sailors and Soldiers Monument (Monument Circle, downtown)
Morris-Butler House (1860s home)
Madame CJ Walker History and Heritage Museum
The Canal Walk is also neat (walking, art, kayaking, paddleboats, the occasional car...)
The Indianapolis Indians (minor league baseball team) plays at Victory Field.

A little farther out
Newfields (art museum)
Oldfields / Lilly House & Gardens

A little farther north still but worth it.
Conner Prairie (living history museum, depicting life in the 19th century, very cool)  www.connerprairie.org

Hope this helps!!

Last edited by SaraiEsq on Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

SingleActionAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Asa Yam Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:16 pm

SaraiEsq wrote:Asked around a bit and here are a few more things in the area...

Columbus area
Seem to recall a semi-guided tour of the Cummins Diesel HQ building when I last visited the city about 25 years ago.  It may have been family only, or a special deal Cummins runs if enough tourists ask for a tour.  The ~1/2 hour tour is good, especially if you are interested in diesel engines, and would like to learn about Cummins' role in their development through today.  Cummins does not list such a tour on their website:  

I note you did not list any zoos in the area - pretty sure Indianapolis has one, and know Louisville (about 2 hours South of Atterbury) does too.  They are a good way for a family to burn several hours of a day.  NOTE:  The I-65 bridge over the Ohio River is a toll bridge.  However, believe the adjacent Highway 30 bridge is not.

Other attractions near Southern IN/Northern KY:

Hillerich and Bradsby factory and museum (Jeffersonville, IN):  Surprise, they make large numbers of baseball bats.  As in "Louisville Slugger" brand bats. Website:  https://www.sluggermuseum.com/

Belle of Louisville steamship (Louisville, KY):  Ride on a steam paddle wheel steamer on the Ohio river, the Belle is an original paddle wheel steamer as found on the rivers from the 1840s through the 1930s.  (Years stated are guesses.)    There are various types of cruises, prices are "reasonable" (an Adult ticket tops out at $23.00)  Website:  https://belleoflouisville.org/

Churchill Downs (Louisville, KY):  Home of the Kentucky Derby (held on the first Saturday of May), the Downs is also open for tourists.  See for yourself, website for the Derby Museum (official host of visitors touring the Downs) is https://www.derbymuseum.org/

For an "Adult Oriented" tour, note that Louisville is the Northern edge of the "bourbon belt".  Many of the larger distilleries have tours of parts of their operation, including tasting rooms for their product at the end of the tour.  Not sure if this option is appropriate as a "family" tour, and there are too many places to visit, suggest you do a webearch for options.  (Have never visited a distillery in or near Louisville, so cannot comment on any of them.)

Historic homes in Louisville.  There are at least three historic homes in or near Louisville, not sure how interested in living conditions in houses used through the Civil war your spouse and kids may have.  Again, best thing to do is webearch the sites, as there are several.

Note that Bloomington, IN (about 1 hour South of Columbus) is also home to Indiana University, so may have additional attractions and facilites oriented to younger adults.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Asa Yam

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:45 am

A few interesting things close to Camp Atterbury-

A WWII POW Chapel on the ground (State owned F&W area North of Hospital Road about a mile west of the camp entrance)
Nineveh, IN - Chapel Built by WWII Enemy POWs (roadsideamerica.com)

Things for Wife and Kids Around Atterbury POW-Chapel-web

A grave in the middle of the road- (a few miles north and east on CR 400S)
Franklin, IN - Grave in the Middle of the Road (roadsideamerica.com)

Used to look like this:
Things for Wife and Kids Around Atterbury Nancy-barnett-grave-4%25255B2%25255D

A large rocking chair- (close to the grave in the road site)
Big John: Former World's Largest Rocking Chair
Franklin, IN - Big John: Former World's Largest Rocking Chair (roadsideamerica.com)

Things for Wife and Kids Around Atterbury INFRAchair_penny

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:42 pm

Just being obnoxious..

Things for Wife and Kids Around Atterbury 8b5ad110
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:01 pm

Just countering Jim…I’ve never been to any of these things but it looks like there’s things to do for the kids in Indianapolis and that’s closer than Cedar Point.
Things for Wife and Kids Around Atterbury 8d7d6c10
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

shanneba and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Things for Wife and Kids Around Atterbury Empty Underground Ziplining, anyone?

Post by SaraiEsq Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:22 pm

On the way to an Indoor 1800 at SIRPC today (through blinding snow at times!), I noticed a billboard for the world's only (completely) underground zip line -- the Louisville Mega Cavern.  https://louisvillemegacavern.com/

Attractions include:
Mega Zips -- age/weight restrictions for tour/zip line
Mega Tram -- no walking/suitable for kids (currently Dino Tram/Dino Drive ... but that is just through April)
Mega Quest -- underground aerial ropes challenge course

This is one of the largest caverns in the United States while also being the largest building in the state of Kentucky.  I've never been there but it could be a cool way to spend a few hours (plus the drive, of course!) -- the ambient temperate is 58 degrees year round.

Add it to the list of attractions.  Smile
SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

shanneba likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sfcrobertson Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:48 am

Also checkout these right outside the gate on "Old Schoolhouse Rd"

http://www.indianalivesteamers.org/

Coyote Trace Disc Golf Course- At Johnson County Park

sfcrobertson

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:06 am

There is a lot to see and do in Louisville. There is a science museum, Louisville Slugger museum and Frazier Museum, as well as the zoo. Some of them are on the Sunnyside of Louisville (southern Indiana). Check this out https://globalmunchkins.com/destinations/things-to-do-in-louisville-with-kids/
BE Mike
BE Mike

shanneba likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:35 am

That is a great site BE Mike, I found Indianapolis on there too!

20 Amazing Things To Do in Indianapolis with Kids you’ll Love! (globalmunchkins.com)

One is even closer to Atterbury in Greenwood- Kid City
KiD CiTY | Greenwood, IN

shanneba

BE Mike and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Webb Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:57 pm

This is the typical type of thread on this forum. That's what makes this site one of the best social media platforms on the web. 100% positive and for a good family orientated reason. The feedback on this thread can push a person to make that only dreamed of trip to the Nationals a reality. Great job to everyone involved. Justifies my opinion that bullseye shooters are some of the best people around.

Dan Webb

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down