Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indoor range lead levels -concerns/opinions

+23
Foundryratjim
DonBrummer
mikemyers
wbnash3
Pioneer41
Dan Webb
RodJ
rkittine
FimRire RongLifle
Axehandle
SmokinNJokin
popchevy
jwax
JHHolliday
Steve in MI
BE Mike
BHeintz
ermakevin
SteveT
chiz1180
Wobbley
Pinetree
CentralPA22
27 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Indoor range lead levels -concerns/opinions Empty Indoor range lead levels -concerns/opinions

Post by CentralPA22 2/22/2023, 12:22 pm

Hi all, I have been shooting at a local indoor gun range for the last 2 months approximately 2-3 times a week on average. The gun range has 6 shooting lanes with a ventilation system. You can't feel air on your face, although something is in place behind the backstop and also small floor units in front of each Stahl with filters. When all the lanes are full there is A LOT of smoke in the place and often times you can taste it after you leave. I noticed several of the workers wearing canister masks when shooting and going into the range. I questioned why and was told their lead levels were very high from sweeping the range in the evening which made perfect sense. A few weeks later I started feeling uncharacteristically tired and more diarrhea than I'd like to talk about. Another friend that shoots the indoor league was also complaining that he was having similar symptoms and had his blood levels checked and came back high (40's). So, I had a blood level test ordered and it also came back high (mid 30+s -normal being under 20). My Question: have others that shoot indoor leagues/tournaments been faced with the same scenario? Has anyone had their levels checked and if so does wearing a proper dust/lead cartridge style mask prevent the exposure completely? I understand washing your hands with a lead free soap is imperative after handling ammo and this was done each time I shot. My concern is with my health but more importantly my son's health. He enjoys shooting with me and it's a great bonding experience. My only option at this point is to quit shooting the local indoor league until I feel it is safe. The local indoor range owner is an excellent person and has reached out and assured me they were taking steps in the right direction to change filters and clean and there is a ventilation system in place. What are your opinions on the safety of this lead exposure and returning to indoor shooting in the cold winter months?

CentralPA22

Back to top Go down

Indoor range lead levels -concerns/opinions Empty Re: Indoor range lead levels -concerns/opinions

Post by Pinetree 2/22/2023, 12:33 pm

We have fans/filters and I always make sure they're on when we're shooting center fire. We have the lead cleaning soap too.

There's one guy on a visiting team who always wears a mask no matter which range we're at.

Personally I don't worry about it, but if you don't feel safe then it's up to you to decide.

Pinetree
Pinetree

CentralPA22 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Indoor range lead levels -concerns/opinions Empty Re: Indoor range lead levels -concerns/opinions

Post by Wobbley 2/22/2023, 12:41 pm

IMO, the staff should sweep the range only after sprinkling the floor.  Enough to get it damp.  Much of the lead residue from the primers settles in the dust on the floor in front of the firing line.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Mike M., orpheoet and CentralPA22 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 2/22/2023, 12:51 pm

I wear a mask when shooting indoors, if you get one that fits correctly it isn't that big of a deal. If you are shooting lead projectiles (even 22) it will vaporize as it leaves the muzzle. Typically if I am shooting indoors I will preference air over powder guns.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 2/22/2023, 1:23 pm

Normal blood lead level is Zero or very close to it. There is no naturally occurring lead exposure in the environment, so any lead in your blood is contamination from somewhere. Most health agencies consider <10 ug/dl to be normal and low risk, but the lower the better. Above 40 or 50 is usually considered the point where action is recommended. Actions to consider are removal from the source, take additional Vitamin C, donate blood and chelation therapy. The last is a medical treatment and usually not done unless level is extremely high and/or the first three actions aren't sufficient.

I hit 53 ug/dl at the peak shooting regularly in a range with very poor ventilation. Wearing a N100 mask in the range and always washing hands and face after shooting or loading brought it down to the 20's in a few months, then it took a year or two to get under 10. 

As an adult there are risks to lead exposure, mostly at very high levels or for extended time. But, for children lead impedes nervous system development so they should be kept away from any lead exposure. If I had children at home, especially young children, I would change my outer clothes and shoes before entering the house and wash up as soon as I got home. If you shoot with them, bring D-Lead wipes and make sure they washed their hands immeditately after shooting.

Most of our lead exposure comes from lead styphnate in the priming compound, both rimfire and CF. It is part of the gas expelled into the air, so we can breath it in and it settles on the bench and equipment. A well ventilated range will have airflow from behind the shooters drawing the smoke and lead downrange. Unfortunately many older ranges don't have great airflow. Hospital / surgical masks aren't all that effective against lead. You want N95, P95 or even better N100 or P100 masks with good seals around the mouth and nose. After messing with 3M N100 masks for a while I eventually broke down and bought a half face respirator. They aren't that expensive and the fit is much better. We had a bunch of shooters in the area several years ago that all had high lead levels and it isn't that unusual to see people shooting while wearing a mask or respirator in some of our local indoor ranges.

Good luck!
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

jwax, Richard Ashmore, Pioneer41, ermakevin, dieselguy624, Rixter and CentralPA22 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ermakevin 2/22/2023, 4:07 pm

thank you Steve for posting lead levels in BE shooters.    its always a concern that we have
ermakevin
ermakevin

Back to top Go down

Post by BHeintz 2/22/2023, 9:47 pm

I used to shoot an indoor league. The first time I had my lead levels checked I was at 25. I stopped practicing and only shot once a week in the league match. So once a week for 24 weeks. The rest of the year I didn't shoot much at all. I did this for two years, then ended up not shooting at all for the next two years after that due to my hours at work. I then had my levels checked again and was down to 4. It takes a good while for lead to leave your body. But it doesn't take long to build up. 
  I started shooting again and within a year my levels went back up to 22. At that point I started wearing a resporator. My range felt like it had pretty good ventilation, there was a strong flow of air blowing on the firing line from behind, and there was a huge fan pulling air out of the range. Even with good air flow, if you can even smell the burned powder, you are inhailing lead. As SteveT said there is lead in the priming compound, as well as any lead potentially being burned off the bullet itself. I don't think it's possible to shoot indoors regularly without a resperator, and not have lead in your blood. From all the research I did, shooters are inhailing/ingesting lead the most. Washing your hands is good, but it's expected we are inhailing it, and or transferring it from our hands to mouth the most. I'm kind of surprised this isn't talked about more, but it seems most shooters don't care enough to even get their levels checked even once they are informed.

BHeintz

dieselguy624 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 2/23/2023, 8:16 am

At the commercial indoor range where I shoot, I would say that 99%+ of the ammo used has either FMJ or coated bullets. That decreases the amount of lead dust. Ranges with crumb rubber backstops also help keep the lead dust from forming. If I were you, I'd limit my indoor shooting, wear a mask when shooting, buy a lot of D-lead products (soap, mats, lead tests, etc.) use good hygiene, don't smoke or eat while shooting or handling empty brass or lead bullets, change out your clothes after each range session and throw them into the washing machine. This might help. HEPA vacuum cleaners are better for cleaning a range than sweeping with brooms.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve in MI 2/23/2023, 9:33 am

Lead dust particle size can be as small as 0.1 micron. The N95 mask is only good to about 3 microns. So are in my opinion minimally effective. The half face respirator with proper filters is a much better solution especially for ranges with inadequate ventilation systems where exposure to lead vapor is a greater possibility. A properly ventilated range will have significant air flow taking air from behind the shooting line past the shooter going down range. Metal backstops require more ventilation, especially in the impact area, than the increasingly popular rubber chips.

From 20% to 70% of ingested lead is absorbed into the body. Factors affecting this are things such as empty or full stomach, adult or child. Almost all inhaled lead is absorbed into the body.

Any reduction of lead inhaled will provide the most benefit.

The half-life of lead varies from about a month in blood, 1-1.5 months in soft tissue, and about 25-30 years in bone.

Steve in MI

Back to top Go down

Post by JHHolliday 2/23/2023, 11:10 am

Interesting / disturbing discussion.  My local indoor range is fairly new, and their promotional info mentions ventilation for lead safety. That said I've not seen many face coverings since the pandemic waned, and never any full on respirators.  The range is usually very busy, typically with every lane filled and firing.

Presumably RSOs and other staff have more risk, but there is always gunsmoke aroma and therefore exposure.

This is an interesting article:  https://ehjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12940-017-0246-0

Exerpt:

BLLs and frequency of shooting activity

Most studies reviewed indicate a strong positive correlation between the use frequency of shooters at firing ranges and their BLLs. Madrid et al. (2016) [41] reported that BLLs were higher (p <0.001) in individuals who participated in greater than 12 shooting practice sessions per year (8.3 ± 2.4 μg/dL) compared with controls who shot less than 12 times per year (5.2 ± 2.5 μg/dL). Tripathi et al. (1989) [9] observed a positive association between the total number of rounds fired and BLLs (r = 0.84; p <0.02) and personal-breathing-zone air lead levels (r = 0.92; p <0.001). Air lead levels were also correlated with BLLs (r = 0.85; p <0.02). Asa-Mäkitaipale et al. (2009) [42] reported a correlation between BLLs and bullets fired during the last month (r = 0.71; p 0.001) and the past year (r = 0.55; p 0.012). Betancourt (2012) [43] observed a linear relationship between air lead exposure and total number of rounds fired by caliber of weapon used.

Blood lead and gun caliber

Relationships between BLL and caliber of firearms have also been described. Demmeler et al. (2009) [44] observed that the larger the caliber of the weapon, the higher the shooters BLL. The following median BLLs were reported: airguns – 3.3 μg/dL (range 1.8–12.7 μg/dL); 0.22 caliber weapons – 8.7 μg/dL (range 1.4–17.2 μg/dL); 0.22 caliber and large caliber handguns (9 mm or larger) – 10.7 μg/dL (range 2.7–37.5 μg/dL); and large caliber handguns – 10.0 μg/dL (range 2.8–32.6 μg/dL). Demmeler et al. [44] also reported that shooters belonging to the International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) had the highest median BLL of 19.2 μg/dL. Additionally, studies indicated a positive correlation between cumulative air lead exposure in firing ranges and BLL of shooters [40, 45].

BLLs and copper jacketed vs. unjacketed bullets

Tripathi et al. (1991) [46] compared the BLLs in firearm instructors using copper jacketed and non-jacketed bullets. One shooting instructor exhibited BLLs of 24.0 μg/dL and 22.0 μg/dL using non-jacketed bullets and copper-jacketed bullets, respectively. A second instructor exhibited BLLs of 14.1 μg/dL and 13.0 μg/dL using non-jacketed bullets and copper-jacketed bullets, respectively.

BLLs and air lead

Elevated BLLs especially arising from indoor firing ranges are the result of the greater absorption of lead from inhalation compared with ingestion and dermal absorption. For example, the amount of absorption of ingested lead by adults under non-fasting conditions ranges from 3 to 10% and in young children from 40 to 50% whereas inhaled lead lodging deep in the respiratory tract seems to be absorbed equally and totally, regardless of chemical form [47]. As shooting involves generation of extremely fine particles and gases, the high rate of absorption logically results in elevated BLLs. Outdoor ranges, presumably well-ventilated by natural flow and large air volumes, do not necessarily prevent lead exposure from shooting activities. The following sections discuss the implications of the results.
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

FimRire RongLifle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax 2/26/2023, 7:53 am

I've shot at ranges that had several shooters wear a monitoring device that collected room air for an hour, during a match.
After analysis, the range was closed for installation of new air-handling equipment. It is expensive, but you should not be required to wear protection in a properly ventilated range to prevent a dangerous buildup of lead in your body. 
All the above comments are true, but your range is the first line of defense against lead poisoning.
Your protection, and handling/cleaning procedures are next. 
Take action at your range.
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by popchevy 2/26/2023, 3:00 pm

Has anybody noticed reduced shooting performance due to high lead levels ?

popchevy

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 2/26/2023, 6:38 pm

popchevy wrote:Has anybody noticed reduced shooting performance due to high lead levels ?
I am more concerned about my health rather than shooting performance with respect to lead contamination.

My blood level peaked around the same time as my shooting scores but I am quite sure it's just correlation. Both were the result of me practicing/training a lot in ranges with poor ventilation and me not taking sufficient precautions like washing up after shooting and reloading.
SteveT
SteveT

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 2/26/2023, 7:11 pm

popchevy wrote:Has anybody noticed reduced shooting performance due to high lead levels ?
The man, thats what I'm talking about. Priorities.

All joking aside, i have paused my indoor range activities at the house until i get a proper vent fan installed.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 2/26/2023, 8:32 pm

OSHA has a pretty defined set of limits for lead exposure on shooting ranges. NSSF should be your go to for any serious information on the subject.  FWIW I've been a range manager for the last 10 years on a very old 12 lane indoor range that is open 6 days a week.  Pre COVID we ran 20-25K shooters a year.  Post COVID we are running 12-15K shooters a year.  Our RSOs typically work two 9 hour shifts a week.  I work 3-9 hours on the range 7 days a week.  I am a bullet caster, reloader, and shoot pretty much every day.  We test our employees for lead every 6 months.  Most run from 3 to 8. Our high numbers run around 12.  My last check was 7.

Axehandle

bruce martindale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 2/27/2023, 9:10 am

Axehandle wrote:OSHA has a pretty defined set of limits for lead exposure on shooting ranges. NSSF should be your go to for any serious information on the subject.  FWIW I've been a range manager for the last 10 years on a very old 12 lane indoor range that is open 6 days a week.  Pre COVID we ran 20-25K shooters a year.  Post COVID we are running 12-15K shooters a year.  Our RSOs typically work two 9 hour shifts a week.  I work 3-9 hours on the range 7 days a week.  I am a bullet caster, reloader, and shoot pretty much every day.  We test our employees for lead every 6 months.  Most run from 3 to 8. Our high numbers run around 12.  My last check was 7.
To what do you attribute your relative low numbers? Is it the air exchange system, the frequency and thoroughness of cleaning the range or your personal hygiene? What products and equipment do you use to clean the range and what products and procedures do you use for personal hygiene?
BE Mike
BE Mike

popchevy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by popchevy 2/27/2023, 9:21 am

What I am getting at is if high lead levels affect your nervous system/concentration/brain function. Our new indoor range has no ventilation yet and my scores have been dropping .I don't know if the 2 problems are linked . I will see my doctor in the next couple weeks and will ask to be be tested. In the meantime I will practice outdoors. I have survived throat cancer and don't need any more issues.

popchevy

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax 2/27/2023, 9:37 am

popchevy wrote:What I am getting at is if high lead levels affect your nervous system/concentration/brain function. Our new indoor range has no ventilation yet and my scores have been dropping .I don't know if the 2 problems are linked . I will see my doctor in the next couple weeks and will ask to be be tested. In the meantime I will practice outdoors. I have survived throat cancer and don't need any more issues.
What? NO ventilation? Surely this place is to be avoided! I can't understand how an indoor range could even be considered an indoor range without sufficient airflow.
Your lead level will have no discernable effect on your scores, except for extremes of course. Other symptoms will also appear with high levels.
BTW, zero (0) lead levels detected is "normal". Anything above that is to be concerning.

Also, have a professional design and install your air handling! Someone familiar with gun range specifications preferred. A couple of fans pointing downrange doesn't cut it!
jwax
jwax

popchevy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 2/28/2023, 5:30 am

Our range obviously has a good air moving system.  There are push and pull fans.  Tale is it was designed by a local NASA engineer.  We wear masks and gloves when working down range and generally just follow the guidelines provided by NSSF.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by FimRire RongLifle 2/28/2023, 5:36 am

is N95 Sufficient if one wanted to mask in an indoor?
FimRire RongLifle
FimRire RongLifle

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 2/28/2023, 6:42 am

I believed N95 was OK until I say Steve_in_MI's post above. I haven't had time to look into it.

N100 or P100 would be better.
SteveT
SteveT

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax 2/28/2023, 6:46 am

Steve in MI wrote:Lead dust particle size can be as small as 0.1 micron. The N95 mask is only good to about 3 microns. So are in my opinion minimally effective. The half face respirator with proper filters is a much better solution especially for ranges with inadequate ventilation systems where exposure to lead vapor is a greater possibility. A properly ventilated range will have significant air flow taking air from behind the shooting line past the shooter going down range. Metal backstops require more ventilation, especially in the impact area, than the increasingly popular rubber chips.

From 20% to 70% of ingested lead is absorbed into the body. Factors affecting this are things such as empty or full stomach, adult or child. Almost all inhaled lead is absorbed into the body.

Any reduction of lead inhaled will provide the most benefit.

The half-life of lead varies from about a month in blood, 1-1.5 months in soft tissue, and about 25-30 years in bone.
jwax
jwax

FimRire RongLifle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FimRire RongLifle 2/28/2023, 6:49 am

agh RTFM was helpful here, thanks!
FimRire RongLifle
FimRire RongLifle

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve in MI 2/28/2023, 8:31 am

Lead dust size taken from https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/particle-sizes-d_934.html

Last edited by Steve in MI on 2/28/2023, 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Steve in MI

Back to top Go down

Post by rkittine 2/28/2023, 9:30 am

We had a member at our home range, who went to the doctor and was found to have very elevated lead levels in his body. He is a regular at the club. After a complete inspection of the indoor range, we took some steps to reduce the lead exposure, but then found out that the cleaning people cleaned the tops of things in the club house, but not underneath like the underside of the tables and there, heavy lead residue was found resulting in a new cleaning protocol.
rkittine
rkittine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next