Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indoor range lead levels -concerns/opinions

+23
Foundryratjim
DonBrummer
mikemyers
wbnash3
Pioneer41
Dan Webb
RodJ
rkittine
FimRire RongLifle
Axehandle
SmokinNJokin
popchevy
jwax
JHHolliday
Steve in MI
BE Mike
BHeintz
ermakevin
SteveT
chiz1180
Wobbley
Pinetree
CentralPA22
27 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Indoor range lead levels -concerns/opinions - Page 3 Empty Indoor range lead levels -concerns/opinions

Post by CentralPA22 Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi all, I have been shooting at a local indoor gun range for the last 2 months approximately 2-3 times a week on average. The gun range has 6 shooting lanes with a ventilation system. You can't feel air on your face, although something is in place behind the backstop and also small floor units in front of each Stahl with filters. When all the lanes are full there is A LOT of smoke in the place and often times you can taste it after you leave. I noticed several of the workers wearing canister masks when shooting and going into the range. I questioned why and was told their lead levels were very high from sweeping the range in the evening which made perfect sense. A few weeks later I started feeling uncharacteristically tired and more diarrhea than I'd like to talk about. Another friend that shoots the indoor league was also complaining that he was having similar symptoms and had his blood levels checked and came back high (40's). So, I had a blood level test ordered and it also came back high (mid 30+s -normal being under 20). My Question: have others that shoot indoor leagues/tournaments been faced with the same scenario? Has anyone had their levels checked and if so does wearing a proper dust/lead cartridge style mask prevent the exposure completely? I understand washing your hands with a lead free soap is imperative after handling ammo and this was done each time I shot. My concern is with my health but more importantly my son's health. He enjoys shooting with me and it's a great bonding experience. My only option at this point is to quit shooting the local indoor league until I feel it is safe. The local indoor range owner is an excellent person and has reached out and assured me they were taking steps in the right direction to change filters and clean and there is a ventilation system in place. What are your opinions on the safety of this lead exposure and returning to indoor shooting in the cold winter months?

CentralPA22

Back to top Go down

Indoor range lead levels -concerns/opinions - Page 3 Empty Re: Indoor range lead levels -concerns/opinions

Post by mikemyers Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:10 pm

popchevy wrote:.........I don't want my local range to get shut down , so am staying tight lipped about this........
Speaking only for myself, if a place I was shooting at had lead issues, I would very much want to know about it.
At a minimum, a discussion with the range operators would be an important first step.
You don't want the range to be shut down, but what if the range really is "dangerous"?  What then?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Indoor range lead levels -concerns/opinions - Page 3 Empty Re: Indoor range lead levels -concerns/opinions

Post by popchevy Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:54 pm

We shoot Weds night (I won't ) but will go and for sure have a discussion with the RO and let the other shooters know.

popchevy

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:20 pm

With nobody to ask for guidance, I was doing all sorts of really dumb things way back when.  I bought my second Model 29, and a Model 41, from a co-worker around the 1980's, who then sold me all his reloading gear and taught me how to reload 44 and 45, eventually leading to 38 also.  I used my photographic enlarging table for reloading, but it was located in the kitchen in my apartment.   When I finished reloading 44 and 45, I thought it was cute that my fingers had a "chrome plated" look to my skin. Who knew?  I sure didn't.

Joining this forum educated me in so many ways, I can't begin to count.  From then on, I took lead seriously, but never really realized how important it was.  Now I reload in a large closet/workroom, and wash up thoroughly.  99.9% of the time I now shoot outdoors, and before going home, I always try to wash up before getting into my car.  I should be surprised my own blood level is 8, and not 18 or 80, but the old days were 40 or so years ago.

I want to start reloading again in the next few weeks, and I guess I need to figure out what I need to do differently, beyond keeping things clean and washing up thoroughly.  That, and periodic lead tests.  Maybe I need to start wearing those "latex" gloves?  

I suspect that very few people in this forum get routine lead level tests.  Is there such a thing as an "acceptable" lead level?  Is this link useful?
     https://www.ucsfhealth.org/medical-tests/lead-levels---blood
mikemyers
mikemyers

popchevy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by popchevy Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:41 pm

Thanks, Mike.  Now I know my levels are concerning but not in freak out territory ! So, I see the doctor Thurs , will skip shooting Weds and will wear gloves for reloading and get a good mask. I am sooo grateful for this thread and the info. I will let you know what the doc tells me.

popchevy

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:08 pm

Another thing public health officials may test for is lead in your household tap water or municipal water supply. You may find it's not simply your range, don't jump to conclusions!
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:51 am

popchevy wrote:Thanks, Mike.  Now I know my levels are concerning but not in freak out territory ! So, I see the doctor Thurs , will skip shooting Weds and will wear gloves for reloading and get a good mask. I am sooo grateful for this thread and the info. I will let you know what the doc tells me.
This link is the short version of how higher lead levels might be connected with Essential Tremors.  The link to the longer version has a lot more information.  
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1241711/

I finally found what I was originally searching for:
https://www.ucsfhealth.org/medical-tests/lead-levels---blood 

......Lead levels in the 20's are elevated, but apparently not specifically "dangerous".  Your word "concerning" seems most appropriate.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:01 pm

Regarding lead in drinking water, it is not likely that there is lead in the municipal water supply.  However, if you have a lead service line, or lead plumbing in your house, then in some cases, lead can dissolve into the water inside of your home.  If the water supplied by a municipal agency is aggressive, it will dissolve lead in the house plumbing.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by popchevy Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:25 pm

As a follow up, after 6 mos my lead level dropped to 23 from a high of 32.7 and after as year it is now down to 12. That is after avoiding lots of indoor practice and wearing a P100 respirator. Our winter league has started and we are shooting indoors and after fussing about it our range has done nothing for ventilation. Our club is 90% trap and skeet so we are way low on the totem pole. I'm told... no money.  My tremors have gotten better, I'm not shaking as bad so I either live with it or quit. But , damn I still love to shoot with a good group of guys. Most of them have now been tested and are now wearing respirators. This thread was a good wake up call.  Thanks.

popchevy

bruce martindale and RodJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:15 pm

I haven’t read all the comments so forgive me if I duplicate one. Sweeping is the most dangerous thing you can do. It riles up dust at the firing line the most, followed by near the trap. Sweep or better yet squeegee the brass slowly, wear a mask and keep fans on. Sticky sweeping compound grabs up loose dust. Some clubs use a HEPA filtered vacuum for both. A regular vacuum is toxic to use as is screwing around in the trap. Better ranges have sticky mats at the doorways to remove lead dust from shoes and prevent it from being tracked throughout the club. Good luck

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

10sandxs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:23 am

Still checking range employee blood lead levels every 6 months.  Recently prohibited.one from working down range, not for high levels, but for increasing lead levels every 6 months.  He wore a beard that prevented his mask from working properly.  We continue to test and make changes to our process when the numbers say we need to.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by BruceV Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:05 pm

I shoot almost everyday and my level was 14.  Started wearing a half face respirator 3 months rechecked went down to 5.  I am going to get my lead level checked again this month.

At first I didn't like wearing the respirator, but now I don't even pay attention to it.  The weird part initially at my gun club no one wore one so I got a lot of looks and a little ribbing. I simply went about my business. Well there are a few other shooters now wearing them.

I have enough stuff going on with me I don't need to at lead to the list and I'm not stopping shooting.  Just have to manage the risk.

BruceV

Richard Ashmore and RodJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:42 pm

popchevy wrote:As a follow up, after 6 mos my lead level dropped to 23 from a high of 32.7 and after as year it is now down to 12. That is after avoiding lots of indoor practice and wearing a P100 respirator. Our winter league has started and we are shooting indoors and after fussing about it our range has done nothing for ventilation. Our club is 90% trap and skeet so we are way low on the totem pole. I'm told... no money.  My tremors have gotten better, I'm not shaking as bad so I either live with it or quit. But , damn I still love to shoot with a good group of guys. Most of them have now been tested and are now wearing respirators. This thread was a good wake up call.  Thanks.
I bet that I’m not the only person here who is happy to read of your progress in lowering your BLL. 

I’m going back soon for a check up and hoping my levels have gone down even more after religious use of lead wipes.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3