Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.22LR Ammo Question - Conversion Units

+11
Sg1911
Steve in MI
RodJ
Wobbley
JRV
RADJAG
james r chapman
Dcforman
hengehold
chiz1180
tovaert
15 posters

Go down

.22LR Ammo Question - Conversion Units Empty .22LR Ammo Question - Conversion Units

Post by tovaert 2/27/2023, 11:15 am

I have some older CCI Standard in the dark blue boxes, somewhat traditional and reliable in all of my auto pistols. However, I don't have a very large supply. I have some bricks of the newer light blue box CCI Standard and have noticed some problems, so I have relegated those to service rifle 50 yard offhand practice (single loading) with my .22 upper, where I don't care about cycling. My SK Standard+ does not reliably cycle my Nelson conversion with the 9# spring (the 8# spring has intermittent chambering problems), but that stuff works great in my MG EVO and my Ruger 10/22's. So after using up the old dark blue CCI supply, it there another consistent and "punchy" .22LR that anyone can recommend? I've heard Aguila super extra and SK pistol (match?) mentioned, but I've also heard that mini-mag-type ammo is not good. Are there other types that folks have had good success with in a Nelson? Thanks!

tovaert

Back to top Go down

.22LR Ammo Question - Conversion Units Empty Re: .22LR Ammo Question - Conversion Units

Post by chiz1180 2/27/2023, 11:27 am

I have run CCI (new and old), aguila standard velocity, sk pistol match special, and a few eley offerings with good results. Did not do well with norma tac in my conversions.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

.22LR Ammo Question - Conversion Units Empty Re: .22LR Ammo Question - Conversion Units

Post by hengehold 2/27/2023, 11:36 am

FYI, multiple lots of CCI SV works well in my Nelson conversion but I use the lighter recoil spring (8# ?).

Are you having FTF or is it FTE feeding issues?

Do you think it may help if you reduce the main spring weight?

-Trevor

hengehold

tovaert likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 2/27/2023, 11:40 am

I just got a case of Eley Contact for $525. It seems to function quite well for me. No issues through about 300 rounds. It's a little long for my MG2, but works well in my Hammerli and conversions. It's a 42 gr round nose, which I believe is now legal for CMP.

Dave

Dave

Dcforman

tovaert likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/27/2023, 1:09 pm

I had problems cycling Aguila pistol match till I went to a slightly lighter hammer mainspring.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

tovaert likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RADJAG 2/27/2023, 1:44 pm

Aguila Pistol Match is slightly softer, similar to Eley "Yellow Box" Target, I also had some cycling problems with that in cooler weather with certain guns. 

I am really happy with Aguila Super Extra SV - I know that there are others who don't agree - but in my experience it cycles Rugers, GSP, MG2, Pardini SP, Marvels and other conversions all just fine. I don't/haven't owned M41 or 208/215 (Yay!). Cheap, reasonably accurate, ideal for training, not particularly dirty, maybe a bit smokey, very few misfires. 

IMHO. YMMV!!!!

RADJAG

tovaert likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 2/27/2023, 2:04 pm

hengehold wrote:FYI, multiple lots of CCI SV works well in my Nelson conversion but I use the lighter recoil spring (8# ?).

Are you having FTF or is it FTE feeding issues?

Do you think it may help if you reduce the main spring weight?

-Trevor
The 8# would not feed. Some of the CCI light blue box was FTE. I have a 15# main spring installed. No issues firing a chambered round.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 2/27/2023, 2:05 pm

chiz1180 wrote:I have run CCI (new and old), aguila standard velocity, sk pistol match special, and a few eley offerings with good results. Did not do well with norma tac in my conversions.
Likewise (thanks for jogging my memory) Norma TAC would not cycle.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV 2/27/2023, 2:54 pm

I have a Marvel Unit 1 with the standard recoil spring and a 19lb mainspring. It’s run CCI SV, Eley Club, Eley Target, and SK S+ without a single hitch.

The Eley Club and Target loads seem consistently “warm” or “punchy” when compared to SV. I have not chrono’d them, just going off of sight movement in recoil and ejection distance.

JRV

tovaert likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/27/2023, 4:01 pm

I have found Aguila to be non-functional in my 41.  Especially when it’s cool.   Ot particularly accurate either.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 2/27/2023, 7:09 pm

So far across the board, including my Marvel Unit 1, Eley Target has been my favorite.  

Although all of the sudden I had a dud the other day that I attributed to a dirty gun (old HS Victor). 

Aguila Super Extra SV. gave me some failures to feed in the Marvel. That thing got a thorough cleaning, too.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve in MI 2/28/2023, 9:14 am

Wobbley wrote:I have found Aguila to be non-functional in my 41.  Especially when it’s cool.   Ot particularly accurate either.

Aquila Pistol Match and Super Extra both functioned well in my 41.  I can't make a fair comment as to accuracy I just don't shoot good enough.  Shooting was indoors, heated range.

Steve in MI

Back to top Go down

.22LR Ammo Question - Conversion Units Empty Re 22 ammo and conversion units

Post by Sg1911 2/28/2023, 9:26 am

For me,  there are two very important requirements to keep my Nelson running trouble free.  The first, is a clean chamber.  Make sure you ammo will plunk test before reassemble.  The second thing I do is when installing the guide rod, I use the wrench and spin the the guide rod until it stops,  rack the slide a couple of time,make sure the thumb safety is fully functional, then loosen the guide rod about 1/8 to 1/4 turn and again rack the slide a few times,  I believe this lets the conversion settle into its sweet spot.  Then tighten the guide rod as per Nelsons instructions.  After cleaning my conversion unit and reinstalling without racking the slide it would fail to go completely in battery at times  and FTF would also occur quite often.  Also point of impact would be changed after re assembly.  For the last two years I have been shooting cci, both light blue and darker blue boxes with no noticeable difference.  Both work with very few failures.  My Nelson will not run on Norma tac nor will my kimber conversion

Sg1911

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 2/28/2023, 5:38 pm

I run nothing. But aguila pistol match in my older shilen barreled Marvel. Runs perfectly using a 8lb recoil spring and a 19 on mainspring in my lower. Stuff is quite accurate in the pistol
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 2/28/2023, 5:58 pm

I have to mention something that I noticed before with Aguila SE HV. The rounds are slightly long so that the bullet nose(s) rub slightly in my Ruger MkII magazine. It’s most noticeable with 10 rounds. The same was true in a S&W Victory 22. Today I shot Aguila SE SV in my Ruger and found the same problem.

Head scratcher. I’ve not shot any Aguila high velocity not standard in my High Standard. And I don’t think I’ve shot high velocity in my model 41.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 3/1/2023, 12:35 pm

Tim.
I had issues with CCI Std Vel in a couple different conversions, SK Std+ would also barely function.  None of the Lapua branded ammo was reliable either.  SK Pistol Match was an improvement while SK Pistol Match Special fixed the issue.  Eley Target, Club, Match, Match Pistol all function perfectly.

Steve B

tovaert likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 3/1/2023, 1:13 pm

My Marvel runs fine on CCI SV, Aguila Pistol Match, Aguila SV, CMP Eley, Gecko Rifle, and Gecko Semi Auto.

The only thing that I have tried that doesn't run at all is Norma Tac 22, as it has never fed the first round without the rim getting jammed in the feed lips of the magazine and having to be pried out. This with three types of magazines. The Norma runs fine in my High Standard and 208s and 41 though.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by P.E. Kelley 3/13/2023, 4:30 pm

Try a single drop of oil on the first round every other mag of 5. Ive been doing this for decades and made the 2600 club doing it.

P.E. Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down