Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for the ranks...need advice.

+6
Tim:H11
STEVE SAMELAK
John Dervis
mikemyers
Pinetree
mustachio
10 posters

Go down

Question for the ranks...need advice. Empty Question for the ranks...need advice.

Post by mustachio 2/27/2023, 7:48 pm

I have an opportunity to get a Smith & Wesson model 14-4 with a Bomar rib and in SAO. 
I know the original owner. The gun has had many 1000's of target HBWC's through it and 
was well maintained.  He and I shot for the same club in Northern NJ in the 80's.
My friend is turning 80 and is getting out of target shooting (he was very good in his day).
He is asking $499 for the gun. It has some bluing wear around the cylinder release and 
the cylinder has bluing wear, too. This is not to be unexpected since it was well used. 
Hammer and trigger are of the target version. 
The manufacturing date is 1980, so the gun is 43 years old. I have a 586 that is 38 years old
so the age is really not a factor. 

Here is my question:  I don't need it, but it sure would be a nice addition to my target
revolver collection.  SHOULD I BUY IT OR LET SOMEONE ELSE ENJOY IT? 
See photo below.

I would like to give him a decision soon so I need your opinion ASAP.
mustachio
Attachments
Question for the ranks...need advice. Attachment
pix018780434.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(46 Kb) Downloaded 21 times
mustachio
mustachio

Back to top Go down

Question for the ranks...need advice. Empty Re: Question for the ranks...need advice.

Post by Pinetree 2/27/2023, 7:55 pm

$500?

I'd snatch it up.
Pinetree
Pinetree

kc.crawford.7 and ric1911a1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Question for the ranks...need advice. Empty Re: Question for the ranks...need advice.

Post by mikemyers 2/27/2023, 8:50 pm

Buy it, and enjoy it.  
Beautiful.

You could always sell it for a lot more than that, if you decided not to keep it.

I'm trying to have fewer guns, but if your friend asked me, it would take ten seconds to say YES.

I've already got a model 14, but if you don't buy this one, please give him my name and email.
Or, buy it, use it for a while, and if for any reason you don't want to keep it, I'll buy it from you.
mikemyers
mikemyers

mustachio likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 2/27/2023, 9:24 pm

I would be in the "Buy it Now" camp.  It's a neat old school target gun although 1980 isn't really that old in the Bullseye world.  The price sounds good too.

Good luck.
John

John Dervis

FimRire RongLifle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 2/27/2023, 9:27 pm

Keep it in the family & keep it on the line.
It will keep your friend in your with you when he's throug here.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 2/27/2023, 9:51 pm

I could be wrong but the SAO models were or are sort of collectible I thought. $500 would be a steel but it’s been drilled for the mounting of the Bomar rib which sort of kills value I guess.. still an outstanding shooter. If the rib doesn’t make it overly heavy for bullseye then you could use it as a CF gun. I’m not sure about NRA or CMP distinguished revolver.. I thought they had to be double action capable …??? Either way the rib isn’t legal. Interesting gun. Model 14’s are great shooters. $500 is a great price for an accurate revolver to enjoy in any way be it competition or casual target practice.

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 2/28/2023, 8:05 am

Life’s short, have the dessert.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mustachio 2/28/2023, 8:19 am

Tim:H11 wrote:I could be wrong but the SAO models were or are sort of collectible I thought. $500 would be a steel but it’s been drilled for the mounting of the Bomar rib which sort of kills value I guess.. still an outstanding shooter. If the rib doesn’t make it overly heavy for bullseye then you could use it as a CF gun. I’m not sure about NRA or CMP distinguished revolver.. I thought they had to be double action capable …??? Either way the rib isn’t legal. Interesting gun. Model 14’s are great shooters. $500 is a great price for an accurate revolver to enjoy in any way be it competition or casual target practice.
I  currently shoot a 586 and 686 for bullseye and they weigh in at 44 oz. This is around the same weight so it won't be an issue. I would, however, have the hammer changed back to a traditional hammer so I could fire DA, which is my preferred mode for timed and rapid fire.
mustachio
mustachio

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech 2/28/2023, 4:31 pm

[quote="mustachio"]I don't need it.[/quote]
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve K 2/28/2023, 6:19 pm

Buy it if you are going to use it. If not in your future event let someone else have the enjoyment.

Steve K

Back to top Go down

Post by blindfaith429 3/2/2023, 9:03 am

I say buy it. I bet that SA trigger is super nice.

I'd just check the timing to make sure it's all good still.

blindfaith429

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down