Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for the ranks...need advice. Revisited...

+2
Tripscape
mustachio
6 posters

Go down

Question for the ranks...need advice. Revisited... Empty Question for the ranks...need advice. Revisited...

Post by mustachio 4/8/2023, 10:44 am

Several weeks ago I posted that a friend had a Smith/Wesson Model 14-4 for sale on Gun Broker. I was interested, but as I previously said, "I don't need it but would like to have it."

It never sold on Gun Broker. My friend was at my house for dinner (he and his wife were visiting FL from NJ). Both he and I shot in NJ for two different clubs and have known
each other for over 40 years. He looked at me and said that the gun had not sold, and he was giving it to me because I was still shooting. I said that I could not accept it because it was too expensive of a gift. He said, no matter, it is yours. 

It has been shipped to my FFL (PJ's Armory in Pompano Beach) from his FFL in PA. It will be here on Monday and needless to say, I am excited to get it. 
It was SA only but he converted it back to SA/DA. I will check the trigger pull and maybe replace springs to get it to my liking. I will also get rid of the Pachmayr's on it and put on wooden grips. 

Here is a picture of what it looks like now. I will submit a new pic with the new grips.
Attachments
 Question for the ranks...need advice. Revisited... Attachment
pix018780434.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(46 Kb) Downloaded 13 times
mustachio
mustachio

Founder and shanneba like this post

Back to top Go down

Question for the ranks...need advice. Revisited... Empty Re: Question for the ranks...need advice. Revisited...

Post by Tripscape 4/8/2023, 11:04 am

Awesome friend! Yummy gun. Loving my 14-3 with Morini grips.

Last edited by Tripscape on 4/8/2023, 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Question for the ranks...need advice. Revisited... Empty Re: Question for the ranks...need advice. Revisited...

Post by SingleActionAndrew 4/8/2023, 11:11 am

Congrats! What a friend!
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by mustachio 4/8/2023, 11:19 am

SingleActionAndrew wrote:Congrats! What a friend!
He certainly is...
mustachio
mustachio

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 4/8/2023, 12:14 pm

It’s the sincerity that pulls at my heart strings. You’re a rich man beyond riches and your friend is too.

RodJ

Arthur, mustachio and Motophotog7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mustachio 4/11/2023, 4:06 pm

Here is my new/old model 14-4. I took off the Pachmayrs, put on finger groove wood grips and gave it a basic cleaning. The single action breaks cleanly and crisply at 3# even, seems lighter. Double action is smooth and light, but I have no way of weighing the pull weight, yet. I will break out the weights later on.
The gun is 49 years old, almost as old as me...now that is funny. I was going to shoot it tomorrow at my club (we meet at 9AM) and give it a test run, but I have a stress test scheduled for the same time. 
It weighs in at 2.86 lbs, or 45 oz. about the same as my model 586 and 686.

I sure have one good and generous friend.

Here is the before:
https://imgur.com/9powPtA

Here is the after:
https://imgur.com/9EYowCn

Last edited by mustachio on 4/11/2023, 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
mustachio
mustachio

JHHolliday likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 4/11/2023, 7:27 pm

Hmm, I tried to view your images, but got:

{"data":{"error":"Imgur is temporarily over capacity. Please try again later."},"success":false,"status":403}
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mustachio 4/11/2023, 8:02 pm

Try these pics, Mike...I think they will come out well     mustachio aka mike g wrote:Hmm, I tried to view your images, but got:

{"data":{"error":"Imgur is temporarily over capacity. Please try again later."},"success":false,"status":403}
 Question for the ranks...need advice. Revisited... 9EYowCnl

Question for the ranks...need advice. Revisited... 9powPtAl

Last edited by mustachio on 4/11/2023, 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
mustachio
mustachio

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 4/11/2023, 8:06 pm

Yes, works fine now!

Do you have a set of the large, stock wood grips (target grips) that fills your hand(s)?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 4/11/2023, 8:09 pm

These are what I bought for my own 14:
Very comfortable.
(With all the $$ you saved on the gun, you can afford them!  :-)   )

Question for the ranks...need advice. Revisited... Img_6911
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mustachio 4/11/2023, 8:18 pm

mikemyers wrote:Yes, works fine now!

Do you have a set of the large, stock wood grips (target grips) that fills your hand(s)?
I have a set of Herrett's thumb rest grips that I used on my 586.  I may try them on the 14 but I am partial to finger groove grips at this stage of my shooting "career."
mustachio
mustachio

Back to top Go down

Post by Black_Talon 4/11/2023, 8:46 pm

Where did you get the wood grips that are currently on your new 14-4?
Black_Talon
Black_Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by mustachio 4/12/2023, 7:04 am

Black_Talon wrote:Where did you get the wood grips that are currently on your new 14-4?

I got them from Thailand a few years ago from a man named Jaruwan P.  They were, at that time about $30 shipped. 
Today, he sells on Ebay. They are good quality and he has a variety of wood to choose from. Here is the website.

jaruwan P. for sale | eBay
mustachio
mustachio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down